1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sand Dunes - Tire Pressure / Equipment

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jackrules, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Nov 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    Hi Guys,

I will have the chance this upcoming weekend to drive out onto the Oregon Sand Dunes in Florence, Oregon. I have a relatively stock TRD Sport with BFG TA/KO's. That said, I'm not expecting to be jumping sand dunes or even driving up and down steep dunes. I'd just like to get out on some flatter trails around the beach.

I would love to hear tips from anyone that's been to the Sand Dunes in Florence. It looks like my closest trail access will be off of "Sand Dunes Road."

My main question is - how much can I air down my BFG TA/KO's (Load Range C) without doing damage to the side-walls?

Equipment:

- Air Compressor
    - Tow Rope
    - Shovel (I'm going to buy a small shovel from REI in the next couple days)
    - Rampage GripTrack
    - Carpet samples (have helped me get unstuck before)
    - BFG TA/KO's (almost new) (Load Range C)

Do I need a flag if I'm not going on the Dunes? Just for the flat trails?

Thanks for any tips!

I'm not sure how it's going to go and if I will go 10 feet and get stuck and need to be towed out or if I'll be fine, but it'll be an adventure!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. Nov 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    What load range are the tires?

This may help someone give an idea on the lowest psi for that sidewall.....

Sorry I dont do sand :(

But if u pass through San Luis obispo area, I can give u a brand new flag/whip and a tooless mount for free.

3. Nov 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the offer! I'm at college in Oregon right now, so I won't be passing through SLO on my way to the dunes.

I am load range C - I will put that in the OP as well.

4. Nov 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You can bring them down to 15 without a problem, but get them back up to full pressure before hitting the highway.
    Low pressures drastically increase heat buildup from tread squirm and sidewall flex.
    Not a problem off road, but air them up before getting above 45.

5. Nov 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    The Imperial Sand Dunes in California are popular and famous in this part of the country. I was there a month ago for the first time in my Tacoma and was amazed at the beauty and had a great time as well. In soft sand wide tires trump narrow tires and having good tread is important. I had 265/75R16 Goodyear Dura-Trac tires (load range C, so 6ply rating I think) and at 18 psi I drove anywhere I wanted without problem.

But you are not going to make it up a long uphill dune like Oldsmobile Hill in a stock truck with normal tires.

NEVER stop when you are going uphill.

Choose a good line and drive through it.

Put it in 4H and leave it there.

If you are 2WD then keep you momentum up and always choose a good line!

Have a reliable radio (Ham or CB) and a buddy close by if you do get stuck or break something. If cell phone coverage is reliable bring you car charger and have a buddy available...

Have fun!

6. Nov 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I have been to the imperial sand dunes! But only on ATV, not with the Tacoma.

I am 2WD, but that said, I don't plan on actually going up and down the dunes.

Just exploring the sandy trails near the beach and around the dunes.

I should be able to stop on flat sand without sinking too much, correct?

Sounds like 15-18 PSI is best & I will definitely air back up before hitting the highway.

Any special cleaning procedures afterwards? I'm not going to rust out my frame after an afternoon of driving on some sandy trails am I?

7. Nov 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    I'd wash the undercarriage anyway.

8. Nov 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Makes sense, do you think it'll be good enough if I just take one of those power washer hoses from a "coin-operated car wash" and spray that around under the truck?

9. Nov 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Rust shouldn't be a problem... Glamis is not a really "salty" sand like you run into in the areas around Niland and some parts of Ocotillo.

But Glamis sand is like baby powder. It gets EVERYWHERE! You'll be finding sand in places on your truck and your body that you never knew had openings.

10. Nov 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Hit one of the "touch-free" car washes and pay the extra $2 to get the undercarriage wash. Blasts straight up as you drive in.

11. Nov 23, 2013 at 11:16 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Glamis? He's talking about florence OR.

Jack, yeah that'll be fine, it's more of a precautionary measure than a must do anyway.

12. Nov 23, 2013 at 11:23 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    And for airing back up, pick up a cylinder at Pep Boys and fill it up at a gas station as high as it is rated for.
    Or if you know a Scuba diver, borrow one of his tanks and reg sets, stop into Sport Chalet to get a tire filler adapter that snaps into the BCD hose.
    The Pep Boys tank won't pull all four back up from 15 to 35, but it will give your compressor a break.

The scuba tank should do the trick... a full aluminum tank holds 80 cubic feet of air. Four tires would be less than 10 cubic feet, so one aluminum "80" should be able to fully inflate 8 tires from empty to 30psi.

13. Nov 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Doh!

Saw he was from Sandy Eggo and assumed Glamis when I reopened the thread... ignored the title.

14. Nov 24, 2013 at 12:41 AM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I've never not hand washed my truck, but living in an apartment (not having a driveway and a hose) I guess that's probably a good option.

Thanks for the info on all of that! I'll think about it. I have a pretty awesome compressor with a gallon tank. Obviously it goes through that tank pretty quickly, but I think it's rated to run continuously at 40psi so I should be fine. I'll probably give it a break between the rear tires and the front tires though.

15. Nov 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP, you will need a flag and and Oregon Off-Road permit, which is available at the several off road shops, try the atv shop on the highway that goes east out of town. Technically you are supposed to have a fire exstinguisher as well but i doubt the rangers will check you for one. Stay off the big dunes, your truck doesn't have enough power to mount those bad boys, there are five ways onto the beach, i recommend driving to the south jetty and getting onto the beach there, the seawalls can be iffy in a stock truck.

16. Nov 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    If you go off the road at all you need the flag and permit

17. Nov 24, 2013 at 1:02 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    There are several trails that parallel the coast from the access road and four breaches over the seawall that cross them that go from the beach to the mudflats and the dunes. The easiest breach to go over is the southern most one, the hardest is the one closest to the access road, if you don't see trucks like yours going over, don't even try it, you'll get stuck. Of the parallel trails there is one that goes right off the access road, that's the easiest to get to the mud flats, stay off the one closest to the seawall, it practically turns into single track and gets hairy in a hurry. On the beach, observe the 25 mph speed limit please and do not pass the big sign on the south end of the beach or you will get a huge ticket. (don't worry, you can't miss it). Air down to around 15 would be fine. Remember, when in doubt, punch the gas.

18. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    I know this place well:p

Oh and OP, be sure to stop at Craig's Family BBQ on 101 in town, it's behind the diner with all the cars sticking out of it, kick ass food, dude, good friends of mine.

19. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    TacoTuck

TacoTuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthWest
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 TRD SR5
    Leer canopy, OME 881 lift with dakar leaf pack, 265/75/16 duratracs, 16x8 KMC enduros, line-x bedliner and more...
    You must have a flag (orange) that is 9ft off the ground and an oregon ATV permit ($10 at a sporting goods store or ATV shop).

Florence is a great place to check out the dunes. Report back with pictures and stories!!

20. Nov 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    And now you are making me hungry!

OP, looks like you have some good intel to work with now. And don't forget the whip (flag thing) and your permit, if it is like Imperil Dunes the fines are steep and will ruin your good time. The carpet scraps are a good idea too.

Products Discussed in

To Top