1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-TRAC - Is It Worth It? 2014 Sport or Offroad?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EatMyTacomaDust, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Nov 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    An LB would be nice. Trying to figure out if I absolutely have to have it. I have an AC with an LB now and it has come in handy many times - not all the time, but the few it did was glad I had it.

I hear ya - Gotta have 4 doors! Got the AC and there's just not enough room to put my stuff back there. It rains here all the damn time so I need some extra cab space for my gear and stuff. That's the one thing I know is my new Tacoma is going to be a DC.

2. Nov 24, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I personally couldn't get by with the 5' box

Like I said earlier , it all depends on your end use

3. Nov 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    See my original post. Willing to spend a little to get where I want it to be out of the gate which is a lift and locker if need be. I got the Bosses approval. She's adamant about a lift and a locker - God Luv Her!

Well. . .That's what I keep asking myself - but here's my apprehension:

#1 - I may get a DCLB - very interested
    #2 - That damn skewp ROCKS my world
    #3 - I hate all that damn fake chrome on the OR

Please don't kick me in the nads. . .

4. Nov 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    Just buy the sport and slap a TRD offroad decal on it...best of both worlds lol

5. Nov 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I've seen all the lumber and stuff you haul. There's no way you could do a 5'. I love my 6' box now. I work with a guy that has a DCSB and I look at it and wonder if I could make due. I wouldn't need that 6' box to make a living or anything, just use it for moving stuff or taking things to the dump or buying big crap, which I don't do all of that too often - but I do it.

Also thinking about putting a canopy on the back and maybe do some bed sleeping while camping until we can get an off-road trailer - 6' box would be optimal for that. But then there's always the 5' bed roof-top tent option. . .

6. Nov 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    Bishop4x4

Bishop4x4 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NW Washington
    Vehicle:
    2012 SBDC Offroad
    OME 2", AP front APEX bumper
    I bought my 2012 off road because I new it would take me a while to put a locker in the back if the truck didn't come with it. I have never used the A-TRAC. With good tires in four low and locker engaged I haven't needed any more traction. It all comes down to what you want to do with your truck. I wanted to spend money on lift, front bumper, winch, skid plates and tires. Adding a 1000 for a locker just wasn't in the budget. But I also wanted the short bed to minimize length (WA trails are tight). If money isn't an option ARB lockers work better than the E-locker. I have had ARBs on a couple Jeeps. The ARB engages and disengages smoother than the E-locker.

7. Nov 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I think in MOST situations I won't need a locker, but I have been in a few where I did, and I'm talking street driving up steep hills in some serious snow. I feel like the rear locker is what gave me a good advantage to get up that hill while all the other 4x4's [Fords and Chevy's] were slide spinning donuts out of control down the hill. Of course I was in a kick-ass 1987 FJ60 - but that always made me feel like I was glad I had that locker.

Seems like the A-TRAC is for getting unstuck and 4Lo at 3 mph's and slower. I totally get what you are saying, and yeah I'm still figuring it all out. Thanks for the input.

8. Nov 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Or buy the Off Road and do a hood swap. Thaaaaaaaaaaaat will cost you though. :D

9. Nov 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    If you're going to install a locker anyway, why not just get the trd Offroad?
    I have the dcsb, and atrac has come in handy while sinking in the sand, just put into 4lo, lock the rear, turn on atrac, and crawl out.

It only works under 3mph, though. But it works..

10. Nov 24, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    503TRD

503TRD Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Tualatin, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Front Bilstein 5100's Set @ 2.5", Rear Bilstein 5100's, Rear TSB, Rear 1.5" ToyTec AAL, 1" CB Drop Kit, N-Fab Nerf Steps, WeatherTech All Weather Rubber Floor Mats, Grillcraft Grill(Upper/Lower), Blacked Out AC Condenser/Radiator, Tinted Front Windows, Vision X H4 SuperWhite Headlights, Halo H10 Solaris Yellow 45w 3000k Fog Lights, K&N Air Filter, Removed Front Mud Flaps, 18" MagnaFlow Muffler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, TRD Logo Leather Shift Knob, LED License Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, LED Reverse Lights, LED Auxiliary Reverse Lights, Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, Foglights Anytime, ScanGauge II, 13" Stubby Antenna, Flyzeye Design LED Light, Cobra 19 CB Radio/Firestik II Antenna, 18x9 Raceline Raptors, LT275/70/18 Hankook Dynapro ATm, 1.25" Sidertrax Wheel Spacers, Heated Front Seats, LED Tailgate Bar, 11" Double Row LED Bar Behind Grill
    David K will be here soon to clear up any confusion

11. Nov 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Can't wait to here about the Offroad vs the Looks package again

12. Nov 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Don't think I haven't thought about that but those things seem hard to come by and if I tried to get OEM I can only imagine what the cost would be. . .

1. Yeah I'm still trying to wrap my head around the length of a DCLB. Tundra's a no go for - I love the Tacoma's.

2. haha - yeah I think a lot of people agree with you on that one.

3. ? Not sure what you mean by Sport paint not being real?

Point well taken.

I wish he would hurry up and get here. . .

13. Nov 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I'm not mad

I bought the right truck for what I need , which consists of more than a wheelbarrow for a bed

14. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    my $0.02
    I've never had to use my locker. But my ATRAC is always on. I can drive all over the soft beach sand here without airing down. Its kind of cool lifting a rear wheel and seeing it stop in the side mirror. Plus I know i'm not tearing up the trails. As for the LB vs SB thing, neither could fit a full sheet of plywood with the tailgate closed. If you had to haul a bunch of lumber, the gate would have to be down in either bed. Also, I wouldn't get a Baja or TX-pro if you plan on lifting it.

15. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:

Really in all fairness I did over-exaggerate the chrome. But the "Chrome" of the front face is not Chrome - it's chrome colored sticky tape. Funny I'm ok with a fake skewp. But yeah it all boils down to which features I prefer the most.

But I start figuring this out and then someone says something really logical and it just puts me back at square one. . . All this damn logic in here - haha. . .

16. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    I just off road more than I haul lumber. If I really had to haul a lot of lumber all the time, I'd still have a DCSB OR, and I'd just buy or rent a trailer for it. Loading and unloading a bed full of lumber on a lifted truck sucks anyway. I'd rather my load hang out of my bed a little bit more and have a better turning radius and slightly better towing capacity :D

17. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hey man - I was checking out your build yesterday - it totally rocks. Love what you've done with that truck.

Yeah I'm thinking if I had to get a bed extender for the 5' box that would help in a tight spot.

I think about things like - ok, when I do buy my gun safe, I'm gonna need to be able to get it home - can I do that in a 5' bed - maybe with an extender.

Nope. If I did get a Baja it would get no lift. Doesn't make sense.

18. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man :)
    I love my truck! Got rid of most of the chrome too! :D

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  19. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Bingo

Just like I said , depends on the end use

20. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't call it an aspiration. I think it's more like a reservation. I don't want to regret not getting a full bed. I would love NOT to get a long ass DCLB, I'm just trying to make the correct choice and don't want to be in situation where I said "Damn I wish I would have got LB". But I guess I'm going to have to make a decision and live with it! When you got wants that factor in with needs, it makes it a little tougher to make a choice.

Products Discussed in

To Top