1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

transmission fluid

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by j83soldier, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Nov 25, 2013 at 6:06 AM
    j83soldier

j83soldier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    I just hit 100k and i am debating on weather to change my automatic transmission fluid. I have heard that you should as per your OM but I have also heard that if it aint broke dont fix it....that replaceing it could cause issues. Looking for an educated reponce and a why. Also I have a 05 SR5 with 3 inch lift. What issues should I expect being a high milage vehicle and how long should she last. I dont know why but after 100k I am paranoid the truck will have issues

2. Nov 25, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
  3. Nov 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Toyota recommends 60k. It's your truck and take care of it as you see fit, maintenance or not...

4. Nov 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Perhaps some elaboration would be nice. I do not see what you are trying to indicate at all. The OP of the other thread has a manual transmission, and this OP has an automatic, so you can't compare there.

To the OP, I do understand the common phrase "if it ain't broke..." However proper maintenance is what PREVENTS most things from getting broke in the first place. You change your engine oil, correct? Why not do the same, per Toyota recommendation, for your transmission and differential? Proper maintenance is what allows your vehicle to last. You don't want to wait until the transmission starts to fail before you do anything. By then the damage is done.

5. Nov 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    j83soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    I have just heard from alot of people that transmissions tend to act up after changing the fluid. wondering if anyone had experiance

6. Nov 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Don't believe everything you hear. With that said, I had mine changed at the recommended interval (60K) and have no problems whatsoever. I guess it depends on what is done if it is a forced flush or whatever the hell they call it. As I said before, its your truck and if you do/don't want to do the recommended maintenance, then that's your call. All I know is that I like to take care of my stuff...

7. Nov 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    It is a hotly debated issue about changing the fluid after running it 100,000 miles. Some claim the new fluid washes the clutches and the residue gets caught up in the valves causing early failure. Others claim the transmission was bad to begin with because of not pulling regular maintenance and it was just time for it to fail. Bottom line one should follow the manufacturer recommendations.
    Since you have not done so it is a crap shoot with no absolute answers. The first thing to understand is that almost no one today actually drains the transmission completely. If your transmission holds 15 quarts they will only drain about 4 or 5 and leave the rest in the torque converter. Very few do a complete change even if they call it a flush. In other words not all flushes are equal and a drain is like changing your motor oil and putting over half or more of the old oil back in. I question if a drain is even worth it since about 2/3 of the dirty fluid is still there but at least you normally do change the filter during a drain and fill. As for a flush there are two kinds of machines and one is much better than the other. Here is a link to read some about it.
    http://mdhmotors.com/transmission-flush-when-and-when-not-to-flush-transmission/

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  8. Nov 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    DBTaco

DBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    When I bought my truck last Dec it had 67,000 miles on it so I've been thinking about the same thing b/c I don't know if the previous owner changed it at 60,000 mile. I've got about 73,000 miles on it now so I don't htink its too far past due if it hasn't been done. Anybody know how much a dealer charges for this?

9. Nov 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Am not sure how much mine was just for that - in SC, the dealer charged the 300+ for that, tightening the propeller bolt, and adjusting the drums (I could have done that last part, but was too lazy at the time).

10. Nov 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
    Drain it. Fill it with whatever comes out. Check the fluid level. Do this at recommended intervals. You won't ever have fully new fluid in there, doesn't matter as there isn't a filter clog up. But if you never do it, the fluid will break down eventually and possibly leave you with a substantial fix.

11. Nov 25, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    j83soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    according to the manual its supposed to be done at 90k if I tow or 100k if I dont

12. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    ur truck...........

But I never believed that hype when i bought the truck.

I argued with 1 service writer to have a drain and fill at 60K and a radiator flush.

Then before I had the blower installed, I was at 70K roughly and talked to a BETTER service writer and had the trans drained and filled again.... and then again after 2 weeks when I had the output shaft seal replaced under warranty.

I told her that I dont believe the BS about 100k, and that its a good way for Toyota to get out of honoring even the best extended warranty they offer. The trans will be out of the warranty window at 100K, and some owners will believe their trans is just now needing to be flushed.... If the trans shitd the bed shortly after, its on the owner, and NOT toyota. Therfore, that extended warranty some paid for cant be used.

The service writer agreed with me.

Ive talked to a couple techs, and they also agree.

I have an ASE master tech friend who went to a conference and asked about that scenario a couple yrs ago too.

the senior tech holding the class said basically the same thing.

13. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I have held my ASE master for over 20 years now. I also spent the majority of my career doing transmission diagnosis and overhaul/reconditioning. In my career I have never seen even ONE transmission fail because it was serviced properly. I have also never seen a transmission fail because at 100k it was the first time it was serviced. As a basis of information, I have diagnosed and repaired transmissions numbering into the thousands.

The proper way to do it is to use a machine flush. This system removes the old as it adds the new. There is even a sight glass on the better machines so that you can see the color and condition. So once the transmission is flushed, I recommend replacing the filter, and the topping off the transmission. Again I bring up that you change your engine oil on average every 3k miles. Why? Because for one, it is what has been done for decades. Another is that it is what you have been told to do since you were a kid learning about engines. So why is it more prevalent now to service your transmission? Because back in the day (say the 60s and 70s) most automatic transmissions were simple, and would outlast the vehicle. Now they are more complex, and more sensitive. Sounds crazy, but I have seen on multiple occasions where someone used the wrong transmission fluid and ruined a transmission. They are that sensitive. You should always perform proper maintenance if you want to increase the longevity of your vehicle.

14. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    I had mine flushed at the dealer at 102k. Sold that tacoma (2005 dclb) at 130k and never had an issue after the flush. I wouldnt think flushing at 100k will hurt. Now, if you were flushing for the 1st time at 200k, i would say no. I think all the hype came from back in the days of early import automatics failing due to high mileage flushes. Transmissions have come along way, i would just stay on top of regular maint.

15. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    j83soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    thanks guys

Products Discussed in

To Top