1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD versus Baja

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Blindf8th, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Mar 9, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    just.awesome.

the dealer in LA is working to get one to me before i get home next month.

praise jesus and pass the keys!

2. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM
    CMan

CMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR Red
    I'll be picking up my Black Baja (double cab) at the end of this week or the beginning of next week depending on when it shows up on the lot.

I'm of the same thinking as Blindf8th, transplant, and VIRDOC. It may be a bit pricey for what you get (based on what I read here and other places), but I kinda want the factory setup and don't really feel like taking the time to mod it. Also, it's for my birthday and will be my only expense, so I told myself I could spend a little more.

Blindf8th, your pictures were what actually pushed me over the edge between what I originally wanted (a white off-road) and the truck I'm getting. The black looks so sharp!

3. Apr 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    Blindf8th

Blindf8th [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Congratz CMan!!! I still absolutely love mine and having something that is not as common for me is a huge plus. I'm in Frisco, so I'll keep my eyes open for my Dallas counter part :) Curious on whether your dealership put chrome, black, or nothing for the side rails (would love to see what you choose), so PICS when you get time if possible.

Congratz again sir!
    Blind

4. Apr 9, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    CMan

CMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR Red
    Thanks Blind! They were going to put chrome side rails on the truck, but I told them I didn't want them since I'll be getting sliders anyway. In fact, I'm looking at pictures of sliders right now.

I'll post up pics of the truck once I get it. I've been looking at tacomas while I drive around and haven't seen another baja yet, which is great. I like having something different too!

5. Apr 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    TRD OR + Icon midtravel, method wheels and tires, bumper = cheaper than what you would pay for a baja and will spank a baja in capability. Don't mean to be that guy but whatev. At least a baja has a warranty :anonymous:

6. Apr 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    CMan

CMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR Red
    It's all good. I knew what I was getting and paying for (well, I haven't sign the paperwork yet). I'm not looking to do a bunch of modding and want something that is both capable and "different" with the warranty. Now, once I get it, I'll have to make sure I actually use it. ;)

7. Apr 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    actual price is no where near $5k. There is s Baja pkg. Credit for one and then there is the discount off MSRP. Mine was a little over a $3k premimm over TRD. I added up all the stuff just I would buy to take a TRD and upgrade and if worked out about the same. Now I was looking at new parts from dealers not scrambling for used. Also I believe the front shocks are a little bigger than the 5100s that someone mentioned.

8. Apr 9, 2014 at 3:27 PM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    As long as you're a happy camper my friend. You're lucky you don't have to hold your breath if you break something and have to take it to a dealership. I have a buddy with a Baja and from the factory it's a capable truck if you don't plan on doing any mods esp with the at k/o's on it. Wasn't trying to be a duechestick just wanted to share my 2 cents.

9. Apr 9, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    stump jumper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    that was a big plus for me. I got tired of seeing 2 - 4 Barcelona Red DCSB Prerunners every day. I have seen one red Baja on the road. No whites and no blacks.

10. Apr 9, 2014 at 3:47 PM
    CMan

CMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR Red
    Big, I took you the right way. I've been reading a lot of threads here and in other places, so I knew the differences and whatnot, but you wouldn't have known that.

Like Stump, I'm not paying an extra $5k and when I added up the cost of new tires, the suspension, the exhaust, the wheels, etc. it was close enough to being a "wash" for me and I don't have to do the work or pay someone to do it, and then, there is the warranty.

Stump, it's red and silver... all the time around here! I was originally looking for a white OR, but the black baja "spoke" to me.

11. Apr 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    I purchased a double cab white TX Baja for $34,500. I love this truck. I don't have to do a thing to it.

12. Apr 9, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    Tacomamba

Tacomamba Well-Known Member

Member:
    albq
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Edition Black
    Supercharger Roof rack Tube step Entune Tailgate mod ATC Camper OE Skid Plate K/N filter don't need anything else
    I purchased my crew cab for same. Meaning for doors but last year 2013 in August. Dealers are pretty much playing with cost depending on accessories on it or how long it's been in their lot. I have the black one. In addition there are threads already with persons adding UCA'S and add leaf to gain the 3 inch lift and additional flex and better alignment. Search "because baja" for more threads on baja or see southwest forum list for Baja Pictures only thread.

I

13. Apr 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    CMan

CMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR Red
    Welp, I ended up talking with the dealer today and delivery of the truck has been pushed back two weeks. It's supposed to hit "port" on 4/16 and then arrive at the dealer a week later.

Originally, when they found it on the new allocation list, it was scheduled to hit "port" on 4/18, but then they told me it would be here this week. So, not a huge deal, but they did get my hopes up... only to dash them! :)

So long as it's here by the end of the month or at the latest by 5/6 (my birthday).

14. Apr 10, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    stump jumper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Cman, which dealer did you go through? I worked with the sales director at Rockwall. He was great and perfectly understanding of my frustration with finding a truck without all the Gulf States add ons including Vehicle Protection and steps. I thought I was going to have to order. Also, sales manager in Richardson was same way to the point of removing decals. Once she was out and sales guy tried to up sell me on Vehicle Shield. I had to tell him where to stick his $375 bottle of wax.

15. Apr 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    TacoToRunner

TacoToRunner Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB
    Nothing yet
    I find it amusing reading all of the I threads knocking the Baja particularly these people with a TRD OR that they built up on their own and with their 5100's; it's better than the Baja. If they were so mechanically inclined and could do so much better, why start with an TRD OR, and not a base model, put your own locker, seats any other additional mods.... Save yourself even more money.

If you have the money, want the warranty and no hassle of trying to figure out how to tune your new suspension, more power to you.

16. Apr 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    To be honest, it is a lot of money for the equipment. I'd rather have a truck with a full warranty than to gamble with the possibility of not having the warranty honored after I put on my own parts.

17. Apr 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    I'm satisfied with the truck just as it is. I might put some lights in the grill and add a cb but that's the extent.

18. Apr 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    CMan

CMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR Red
    Stump, I'm going through Cowboy. The salesman worked with a couple guys at the bike shop my girl friend works at. He's been on the level about everything and a good $1,500 below everyone else in the metro I've contacted. He also took off all that "stuff" the Gulf States guys want to put on (steps, protection stuff, etc.).

I was originally going to order, but that's 6-8+ weeks and then this particular truck came up on their allocation list and I decided to get it. The sales guy told me then it would be near the end of the month, but then it appeared that it would be earlier. Now it's back to the original time-frame. I have looked at their system and it's slated to hit "port" on 4/16 and then it takes about a week to get up here.

The funny thing is I actually sat in one that was available 3 weeks ago. I even took a photo of it.

Like I said, not a big deal - I've been waiting to make this purchase since around September last year. :)

19. Apr 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    stump jumper

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    paid less for my 2013 Baja with a bed mat.

20. Apr 11, 2014 at 5:21 AM
    13TRDsport

13TRDsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    13 Access cab TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525XL, K&N air filter, TRD Shift knob. Bilstein 5100's w\Eibach springs.
    I made my own baja. All 4 Bilstein 5100's and eibach springs. lol Just need a locker now and im good to go. Good enough for me. Big difference from stock ride wise.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top