Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

oil filter

Old 09-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
oil filter

hello
what oil filter do you usual use?

on ebay, they have a TRD oilf filter but it ain't cheap

what's the regular oil filter part #?
the filter is black...
thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a quality oil filter... the OEM is NOT the way to go. The original Toyota filter(factory filter) is of a high quality; however, the replacement OEM is not manufactured in Japan and consists of inferior materials. If you can find the Toyota OEM filters stamped and manufactured in Japan they are decent; otherwise, if you want a high quality, well tested, then I would go with NAPA gold or EaO by Amsoil.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
mobil1 and bosch also make great oil filters. honestly though, i dont think there is anything at all wrong with oem filters.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't think so either about the replacement Toyota OEM filters; however, testing, and the breakdown of the filter itself show otherwise. There is a definite difference between the OEM and replacement OEM.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cewhite3nc/id12.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
mobil1 and bosch also make great oil filters. honestly though, i dont think there is anything at all wrong with oem filters.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
--

Bosch makes excellent products; filters incuded, but Bosch filters made in USA, and/or not in the yellow boxes are supplied by Champion Industries, the same one who makes WalMart filters. The Champ filters are in fact a decent filter, and although I have never used one, I would not be afraid to. Toyota's USA supplied oil filters are supplied by a major supplier, last I heard it was Purolator. Mobil1 filters are very well made, but they to are also outsourced. I heard (can't verify) that Wix (NAPA Gold, Carquests "premo"line) got a contract to produce some part numbers. They are of course made to M1's specs, so will vary slightly on internal materials.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRH View Post
--

Bosch makes excellent products; filters incuded, but Bosch filters made in USA, and/or not in the yellow boxes are supplied by Champion Industries, the same one who makes WalMart filters. The Champ filters are in fact a decent filter, and although I have never used one, I would not be afraid to. Toyota's USA supplied oil filters are supplied by a major supplier, last I heard it was Purolator. Mobil1 filters are very well made, but they to are also outsourced. I heard (can't verify) that Wix (NAPA Gold, Carquests "premo"line) got a contract to produce some part numbers. They are of course made to M1's specs, so will vary slightly on internal materials.
after reading so many posting of filters...
I still dont know what to use... I know about the OEM filer that it is made in thailland, I hear is smaller than the one came from the factory...

I guess either napa, mobil 1 or Amsoil will work.

I dont want to pay out of my a$$ either... do you guy think it will be ok to run it until 7000 miles interval to change my oil. Synethic that is!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
I dont want to pay out of my a$$ either... do you guy think it will be ok to run it until 7000 miles interval to change my oil. Synethic that is!
absolutely. synthetic oils will last well over 7000 miles and waiting till then do change your filter wont do any damage. I plan on running my oil for 10k and changing the filter every 5k, but if you have to go a few extra thousand miles every once in a while it wont hurt, i just wouldnt do it every time.