1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

got extended warranty, but havent payed it... can i get out of it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aboutmillions, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Nov 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    aboutmillions

aboutmillions [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hey guys, just bought a new 2014 tacoma trd..... im going tomorrow to pick it up at the dealership,couldnt drive it home cause it was just me, had my mom cause i happen to be picking her up from my uncle's hous ( she doesnt drive)

well long story short everything went smooth until i got to the finance department and the guy offered me the 8 year extended warranty .... lets just say all that talking he did was enough to get my mom to push me into getting it, i know stupid of me, but when my mom is worried she can be persuasive

Tomorrow im picking up the truck, im suppose to pay the 1,575 for this extended warranty but i really dont want it... i couldnt get a hold of the guy in finance but someone on the phone from dealership told me since i havent payed for it its no biggie to remove it ....that sound right?

guess im asking if im stuck with it ( i hope not) considering after doing some research i've seen its way cheaper... hope i can get some help

2. Nov 29, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Never buy a extended warranty, especially on a Toyota. Refuse to take delivery until they take it off.

3. Nov 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    andrew8404

andrew8404 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 (Sold) 19 Ford Ranger Sport XLT 4x4
    You can cancel it but they may charge you 50 bucks for it. But way better then 1500! Also, you can get the warranty a lot cheaper through different dealerships. I forget the name but there's a Toyota Dealership in the east coast where you can get the same Warranty for 600 bucks. Check out the search engine for cheap Toyota warranties and you should be able to find a few different dealerships.

4. Nov 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    Mobilemech

Mobilemech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    TACOMA!!! Washington
    Vehicle:
    '13 SSM PreRunner TRDSport AC
    If it is added into the financing, it is only bumping your payment what? $20 a month over 72 months. I personally opted for a 5 year/125,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty cause I drive 30,000+ miles a year and honestly I have no regrets. It is fully transferable so when I go to sell private party at 90,000 they are still getting 35,000 miles of warranty which is a nice selling point. If you don't think you will ever need it, don't buy it. I personally like knowing I wont have to ever worry about something going wrong.

5. Nov 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    aboutmillions

Member:
    i know it was foolish of me to get it for that price

i'll pay 50 before almost 1,600.....

i made a mistake and should have research more, now after searching i see post by guys saying they payed 600-800$ ... im not sure why mine was 1,575, but i dont want to pay it

6. Nov 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    aboutmillions

Member:
    i didnt finance my truck , i payed it upfront out the door

7. Nov 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    ducati

ducati thie-trickster

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4x4 Black
    Icon coils, Squeaky dakars, Thule rack, tinted windows, weathertech rain guards, Demello off road front bumper, warn winch, shok sound deadening.
    You can cancel without any problems. Extended warranties are a huge scam. Finance guys are great at selling them. Enjoy the new truck.

8. Nov 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    aboutmillions

Member:
    thanks!....hopefully i dont have much trouble getting them to take it off tomorrow

9. Nov 30, 2013 at 4:32 AM
    car78412

car78412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma reg cab 4x4
    Believe it or not, Toyotas do have repairs from time to time. They can be very expensive when you are out of warranty. I strongly suggest the extended Toyota Platinum warranty. You can get it for almost half of what your dealer is charging. You have 3 yrs or 36k miles to decide. Shop around. I got one from a dealership in MA. There are postings on TW on this.

10. Nov 30, 2013 at 4:40 AM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    You paid double because there is that much mark up. If you had refused they would have dropped the price. I have never bought the warranty but my brother in law had one that if over the time he had the car he didn't use it he got his money back. Even that I wouldn't do but that is better than dropping huge money on a warranty that will bust your balls about paying for the work

11. Nov 30, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    You shouldn't have any problems getting out of the warranty. It's usually a small fee and then you get back a prorated amount. Since you don't have the vehicle I would think you would get the whole amount back minus the fee.

12. Nov 30, 2013 at 5:06 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    I was told they can be canceled at any time. Since you have not paid for it and have not taken delivery of the vehicle the warranty is not in force so there should not be any charge to drop it. By the way 1,575 is too much. They are going for around 1200, at least in my area.

13. Nov 30, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    Trail Cat

Trail Cat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida to NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4
    Bull Bar - TRD Exhaust - Predator Side Steps - Alarm - Anytime On Fog Lights mod - OBD UltraGauge II - LED Dome & Map Lights - LED Aux BackUp Lights - LED DRL - Gate Keeper mod - TRD bed Cup Holder & Bottle Opener - Center Console Lock mod - WeatherTech Mats - Kicker Hideaway - Rear Door Speakers - Spare Tire Extension Valve mod - Tail gate 3rd Brake Light Bar - Proline Wheels - Rear Diff Breather mod (left rear tail light area) - "Florida Tacoma's" sticker - BFG A/T KO2 tires -
    I see there's are pros & cons on this, probably should be a poll on this.
    However, I agree with Car78412 I got the extended warranty and don't regret it at all.
    As it turns out just last week my 05 Acura with 86,000 had over $3000 worth of repairs.. and ALL covered by the extended warranty.
    It paid for itself and I'm still covered.

14. Nov 30, 2013 at 5:26 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    It can be canceled at any time. If paperwork is not finalized, you should see the full price removed. Once the contract is finalized, they usually prorate the refund. Like others said, try the guy on here that sells them if you are really interested, otherwise you could always negotiate the price down on it if you want one.

15. Nov 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    aboutmillions

Member:
    i am interested, its not that im agaisnt extended warranty, im just not in favor of the price i payed.... and who's the guy here?.. alot of people are mentioning him but wont give a name lol!

i guess worse case scenario is they tell me i have to pay (since i said yes last night) and i'll tell them i want to cancel right after i write a check.....

hopefully that wont be the case as a lady in finance over the phone told me that i'll just tell them i dont want it ( no cancellation needed since i technially havent payed for it yet) and i'll just be on my way on my new tacoma

16. Nov 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    RDtres

RDtres Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DC LB
    Long story short, i bought the appearance warranty $1550, finance guy said it covered everything interior and paint. Two weeks in and i noticed a small tear dime sized in the carpet drivers side towards mid console, i took it in and asked them to repair it and they said it wasnt covered. I then requested a refund on my warrany, 3 managers later they refunded me $1520 so the experience cost me $30. Its a toyota, odds are it'll last well beyond any warranty period. Good luck

17. Nov 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    RC Maples

RC Maples Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Granbury, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 PreRunner, DCSB, SuperWhite, V6, TRD Sport
    Soft Tonneau, Mud Flaps, working on the rest.
    From personal experience the Extended Warranty is worth it. There are so many expensive little sensors on these vehicles that one repair can pay for itself ... I know because it happened to me. I had a Corolla that had a Wheel Speed Sensor (a standard part of the ABS System) go bad. I had opted for the Extended Warranty and that one repair covered the cost and a little more.
    I recently purchased a new Tacoma and contacted Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota Superstore and got the 7 Year, 125K Mileage Extended Warranty (No Deductable) for $1059. The warranty came and it essentailly covers the Truck Bumper-to-Bumper with the exception of maintenance items for 7 years or 125K miles. It's cheap insurance for the price.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

18. Nov 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    aboutmillions

Member:
    I want the warranty but I want to shop around for a good price, I feel 1,600 is too much...

19. Nov 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
  20. Nov 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    RC Maples

RC Maples Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Granbury, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 PreRunner, DCSB, SuperWhite, V6, TRD Sport
    Soft Tonneau, Mud Flaps, working on the rest.
    I completely agree that $1600 is too much for the warranty, but like I said, from personal experience having the warranty is worth it. It's like insurance, you want the best price and you may never need it, but it's damn nice to have if you do. Google search "Jerry Johnson" and his contact info will come up. I spoke to him on the phone and he is great to deal with.

Products Discussed in

To Top