1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust spot on door on 13 month old Tacoma.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jw1983, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Dec 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Hey everyone!
    Today I was putting some De-Icer on my windows since that the highs of this coming up week are suppose to be -15C-(-20C). I noticed when I was doing my driver side, front window that there was a rust spot. I am not sure if it was due to a rock chip or not. I was just wondering if there is anything that anyone can suggest of what to do? I don't see any bubbling under the paint. Just wonder the thoughts of people at TW on this? I know the dealership can say "it's from a rock and there is nothing we can do about it". Just asking here before I make an appointment.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0465.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. Dec 1, 2013 at 6:39 PM

302 I love Taylor Swift :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    Clay bar, it will buff out. It's a metal inclusion that has likely landed on your paint and rusted on top of it. Pics not that clear though.

3. Dec 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    Jake7

Jake7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Tritown Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    aFe CAI, TRD S/C with 2.8 URD Pulley, Doug Thorley long tube headers, AFE Y pipe, Banks monster exhaust
    I had some small rock chips that started to rust like that. I took denatured alcohol and wiped down the spots with a cotton ball to remove the rust and grime. I then used some touch up paint to fill in the chip spots. I check it every spring for chips and do the same thing if I find some.

4. Dec 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    jw1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I tried to get as close as I could with my phone without making it blurry. I will try tomorrow if it's possible.

Yeah! I did mine in the Spring and in September before it got cold. I didn't see it then though. It's going to have to wait since that I am going to be under Arctic cold for the next week or so.

5. Dec 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    MACHINE

MACHINE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    You can buy a small tool at most automotive stores that looks like a marker and the tip is made of fine strands of fiberglass. It is good for sanding small areas. Sand the rust off, then repaint it with touch-up paint.

6. Dec 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    rickcrna

rickcrna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 AC SR5 4WD I4 Auto MGM
    Take it to a reputable body shop and get it repaired professionally.

7. Dec 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    jw1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Yeah sorry everyone. The snow was blowing like crazy because of the wind. Once the wind dies down(maybe the end of the week), I will get a better picture.

8. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    jw1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I took it into the dealership last week and there is going to be a claim with Toyota. The Service Advisor had seen it before, just on a Tacoma that was older than mine and was white. She went and looked on the passenger side door and found some there too. She said that it would be a few weeks before she hears back from Toyota in what their plan of action is going to be. She asked me if I had paint protection. I told her that my truck is 14 months old and shouldn't be rusting regardless if I had the paint protection or not.

So we shall see what the outcome is. I'll keep you posted. I just have to remember about this thread. :)

9. Jan 8, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    The paint on these trucks leaves a lot to be desired; base coat/clear coat just doesn't hold up that well to real world abuse and the black seems to be worse. I've got a number of places on my hood and doors where the paint has gotten chipped and they each started to rust quickly if not caught soon. I use one of the touch up paint bottles with the brush and pen tip from the dealer and just prep and paint them as I find them. My truck isn't going to win any concourse events but most folks don't notice them.

10. Jan 8, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    jw1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Well I do checks at least twice a year on my vehicles for chips, rust etc. At the end of the summer when I did checks on the whole vehicle I didn't see them. The shitty thing is that I looked at Dupli-Color and they don't have MGM in their paint pen and clear coat. I can only use the Paint Pen from the dealership. I expected this from my 4 year old Hyundai that I bought a year after new, not a year after owning my Tacoma. Just a little surprising.

11. Jan 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    Take it to the local Toyota Bodyshop. I had a chip behind the headlight housing because of the housing rubbing against the body. The shop offered to paint the entire truck because it was still under warranty. I declined but they might offer you the same.

12. Jan 8, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    jw1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Well I have other things that need to be replaced on my Tacoma due to an accident I was in last weekend. The rust is the least of my problems at the moment. I am probably going to keep the truck till it dies anyway so the body can rust to shit. As long that the engine and transmission run, I'm okay with it.

13. Jan 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM
    jw1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I use to get a new vehicle every 2 years on average. The longest car I ever owned was 4 years(a year old when I bought it). Tacoma's are the only two trucks I have ever owned and I am probably never going to own another one(truck). It makes me smile seeing Tacoma's, T100's, 4 Runners still driving around. Some of them look like complete crap but they sound great. I hope my truck will be like that some day.

14. Jan 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Tbh I would try to avoid having it painted. When you paint something you open it up to so many defects things like the colour not matching, runs, dust nibs, "orange peel", poor prep work and a bunch of other shit. Personally I would just clean it up as best as I could and touch it up.

The paint on our trucks is no worse than anything else out there imo. The paint formula changed because of government requirements up here and it went from solvent based to water based and the newer paint is just less resilient. That is my understanding from the painter I work with anyways i could be mistaken. My 2005 trucks front end looks better than my moms 2006 civic which has never seen any dirt or long road trips and is a garage queen.

15. Jan 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    I just came back from a trip to mexico can the amount of super cool super old toyota vehicles made my jaw drop. On the 30 minute drive to the hotel from the airport I counted something like 20 1st gen tacos, 10+ older 4runners, and a bunch more 2nd gens. Soooo many cool LT trucks rolling around especially 1st gens. :D Was really cool to see.

I saw a super bad ass light grey 2nd gen at the Rose in Cabo with a plate bumper and I think 35s at the hotel and I meant to do a spotted post but my phone was dead and when I came back the next morning it was gone :(

16. Jan 8, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    jw1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Currently I am not sure what's going to happen. I have been checking it and it's not any worse. It's just specks like they look like they were hit by rocks and rusted.

I had found this out from a guy at my local auto parts store when we were talking about Plasti Dip. He had told me how paint has changed and what not. I wouldn't have had any idea since that when this was going on since I was a child. I guess there is only so much a person can do to protect their vehicle when it comes to rust, chips etc. I guess it's something that we(including myself) is something that we are just going to have to accept.

Products Discussed in

To Top