1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD short shift rattle issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rustbus, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Dec 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    rustbus

rustbus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    western Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TrailTeam Pro - white
    Guys,

I've had the TRD short shift installed since the truck was basically new. its at 39,000 km now.

somewhere around 20k+ i installed the TRD shift knob (grey ball)

about 10k ago, the shifter started making a loud rattle, as if something where loose in the knob, at 3000+rpm or so. or like the entire lever was loose in its socket (but the lever still feels solid in there) loud enough it sounded like it was coming loose.

the rattle and noise has changed over time. eventually the high rattle subsided, replaced by a creaking from down low in the assembly. then it came back but under high load conditions, particularly in the 3rd and 5th forward shifted gears

also now when pulling back into 2nd or 4th its like its hitting a bit hard into position, feeling kinda loose (was VERY tight when new)

Anybody ever have this happen? ever take it back apart to see?

I wanted to to it myself but today i took it into the dealer. i had high hopes as this dealer did a few good things for me last time.

idiots went for a test drive over "rough terrain" (its snowing like crazy here) and of course come back with the usual "could not repeat" crap. I never said it had anything to do with terrain, you morons. it was about engine speed. anyhow.

Anyhow after lubing up my door seal rather than adjusting it to eliminate the creaking seals (that don't creak on the passenger side..) and NOT adjusting my rear brakes, i got out for just $128 for an oil change. I drive away without resolving this rattle in the gearshift. should i just take it apart myself at this point? what am i looking for?

pretty much my last effort to give dealers any more respect or work. its a shame really. (2 more dealers to try in town, maybe 3)...

2. Dec 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    J0HN_R1

J0HN_R1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75" FR, Deaver 1.5" TSB leafs RR, SpiderTrax 1" spacers, custom LED interior & bed lights, 2005 4Runner Sport 17" wheels powder coated satin black
    Where do you live, and which dealership(s) haven't you dealt with yet ?

If you're near Calgary, call/drop-by Cochrane Toyota or South Pointe Toyota. They have good Service Dept's, rumour has it...

Products Discussed in

To Top