1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hidden spare key option

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NewGuyJosh, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Dec 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    NewGuyJosh

NewGuyJosh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I read a few threads discussing options for hiding a spare key incase you lock your keys in the truck and I have come across a solution I didn't see in previous threads. I purchased a small combination locking device from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0014EERFA/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit for $10. It is metal and fairly study so it wouldn't be easy up break into. It is made to hold a spare key and works well. I had a key made that would only unlock the doors. I put in this lock and then used Velcro to attach it to the top and back corner of one of the storage boxes in the bed. It could potentially be hidden under the truck somewhere as well if you preferred.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dec 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    Edgeplay

Edgeplay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM
    -Leather Seats -Weathertechs -LED map and dome -6K HID head lights, -Glove and Center Consol organizer -30" LED bar in lower valence
    Thats a pretty good idea. Just throwing it out there wouldn't you want to get a real key? I know they are chipped and more expensive but if you lost your key you are good. Thats great for when you lock your self out but not so good if you lost your key in the snow or sand.

3. Dec 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    NewGuyJosh

NewGuyJosh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is for accident (or intentionally) locking my keys in the car. If I am going to be doing an activity where I think I could actually lose my keys, I would hide them in the car somewhere then use this to get in. I would be a little leary of leaving a key that could start the vehicle in the bed all the time even with this lock. But that's just me, it would likely be fine.

4. Dec 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I keep a key taped to the back of my license plate. My ignition has been replaced, so I used one of my unlock-only keys as well.

5. Dec 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    .jake

.jake Ex-Lion Tamer

Member:
    Discharged from the Whale’s Vagina into Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    0x07E1 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    2" Lift on 16x8 -12 SCS Ray 10's w/ 265/75 Wildpeaks
    For your intended purpose it's a good solution. Without the ability to start the engine you protect yourself from losing the truck (to a degree). I'd feel real uncomfortable putting a fully-capable key on the rig, hidden or not. Even if you lost the real key you could still get inside where it's likely drier and warmer. Certainly better than the old school magnetic plastic chingas I used to use.

It's all about what you're trying to protect yourself against.

6. Dec 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Xaks

Xaks Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
    I have a hot-spare hidden within easy reach without getting good clothing dirty that will unlock the doors.

I have another spare, ignition, that is coated in WD-40 and duct-taped under the truck in a location most ASE techs couldn't find with a 30 minute clock and a lift.

<--- long time since I was a boy scout, but some lessons hold true
    <--- same reason there's a change of clothing (complete with shoes) bagged in the work box and emergency cash also hidden

7. Dec 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    When i bought my truck the dealership sent me a free credit card key to keep in my wallet (for opening door only) and the parts department cut it at no charge.

Products Discussed in

To Top