1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 6 cy. 6-speed clutch issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cberr, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Dec 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM
    cberr

cberr [OP] Active Member

Member:
    south nj
    3" lift, Airaid CAI
    Hey everyone,
    I'm new here. After my last truck (an 02 Dodge dakota) finally died, I went back to my roots and got a 2012 tacoma. The truck is beautiful, and since my first truck was a tacoma (an 05 4 cyl. tacoma manual trans) I sort of had expectations and sort of knew what I was getting into. I considered another 4, for better gas mileage, but opted for the 6, primarily for towing power, etc.
    So, when I finally get a chance to tow something (helping a buddy move his little 18 ft boat...nothing heavy or big...something my old 4 cyl tacoma would easily do, my new truck definitely didn't stand up to the task.
    upon backing up, it felt like something just wasn't right. and something definitely didn't smell right. I know burnt clutch smell, maybe from the few times as a kid when I was learning how to drive stick. And I'd like to think I learned properly how to work a clutch, but nothing I did seemed to allow me to back this trailer up without what I am assuming is slipping the clutch. there was a slight grade up, and all I can say is, that completing the task made me feel like a kid again and that god-awful smell of burning clutch. I even put it into 4wd, thinking that might help...nope. I started to feel a little regret after researching it a bit to find I am not the only 6-speed manual owner that has this problem. I spent more then I ever thought I would on a truck, but figured come on, it's a toyota tacoma. And since my 95, I figured they must have gotten, if anything better. lol.
    So, after reading about the squeaky clutch TSB (another of my issues on an off topic) when I discovered that my clutch pedal sometimes sounded like a old rusty door closing, I brought it in after reading here that since i'm still under warranty (20,000 miles I have now), they might fix it (a new pedal and master cyl). they didn't...told me they didn't find a problem and sprayed it. hmmm. I wasn't making that up, but whatever. Having it there, I also figured I'd see if they could tell me why my clutch sucks....again, they told me not a problem, or maybe it was my driving style....again, hmmm. Well, once again, I am sure I'll get further here then at the dealer, as they can never seem to help me and make me feel like I'm making up half this sh%$. But I know that something is definitely not right.
    When I had it there, my other issue I brought up was that the rpm's seem funny as well. Of course, I got the rough 1st gear other 2012 6-speed owners seem to have. But I also noticed that my rpm's don't seem correct upon shifting. For instance, after letting off gas and pushing in clutch to shift, it seems like it takes too long for the rpm's to go down before going into next gear. Again, if you were to hear it, you'd think I didn't know how to drive stick. So I had other friends drive it who also have sticks, and they noticed it. I drove their trucks and noticed theirs didn't do that. And the tech at toyota test-drove it with me and he noticed it...of course saying it was just a characteristic of the truck...hmmm.
    I write all this thinkin it might all be related? Obviously something with the clutch. One other thing to mention was an after-market cold air intake. The truck came with an Airaid when I got it. I was tempted to switch it out back to stock to see if that might be causing the rpm issue. Do you think that might have anything to do with it? I also have questions about the airaid and is it worth it, but I'll save that for another topic...
    Well, again sorry for the long message...just figured I'd try to be thorough in explaining. But after seeing other posts about this clutch issue, I guess I'm not alone here. But I guess the real question is, is there a fix or a future recall. I know clutches aren't the cheapest to replace. Am I looking at future headaches here? Maybe I should have went with an auto trans? I know nothing is perfect, but I had a list of what Iwanted/needed in a truck, and being able to tow pretty easy was close to the top on that list....

2. Dec 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    If the squeak returns, keep taking it back as long as they aren't charging you. There's a thread on here about the squeak that indicated that it may be plastic rubbing and turning the rod a little could possibly make it go away. As for the slow return to idle, it's normal. Sound like you're in a plane when your shifting, right? Supposedly something to do with emissions from what I've read on here. Here's another one that you may have not yet discovered: try coasting when your at speed. The RPMs don't drop all the way back to idle and hang between 1200-1500 rpm. It sounds like you have a typical tacoma 6 speed. I bet the pedal grabs pretty high off of the floor; almost at the top of the stroke. Do you also get a slight shudder when starting off in 1st when you first drive the truck and it's really damp? On the bright side, at least you didn't mention the third gear bind as some have reported... All in all, the 6 speed is OK. It's just takes a bit of getting used to. Give it 6 months. I hated mine when I got it in July but it's grown on me.

3. Dec 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    with the first bolded part. the reverse gear in this transmission isnt low enough. just a simple fact. it sucks trying to back up with the six speed if you are going up an incline or towing. I have since remedied this two different ways but its not cheap.

second bolded part. honestly, that is normal. almsot everyones 6spd does that. its actually for emission/efficiency. it allows the fuel to burn off a little more than going to the next gear.

my clutch pedal squeaked on mine, i sprayed lithium grease up in the pedal assembly and havent had an issue since. this was a few years ago too.

the squeaky clutch i never got, but when i had my engine pulled, i preventivly took care of that problem with the upgraded throwout bearing that URD sales.

4. Dec 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    Mtn Tacoma

Mtn Tacoma Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    MI
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM AC OR
    I actually had the same issue towing and backing up last weekend also with only a little trailer filled with fire wood...burnt clutch smell, WHAT THE HELL?? The reverse gear is way too low as someone already mentioned, I've had my truck for just under a year and still haven't gotten used to reverse.

The engine speed slowly dropping is again common, I've also read is an emissions thing.

1st gear can be jumpy especially cold, 3rd gear is a little rough to engage.

Everything I've felt, I've found others with the same 'issue' on TW, the trans just takes some getting used to...

5. Dec 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    The squeak is a problem. When I had my 6 speed (2011 6spd offroad) it squeaked horribly shortly after buying. I waited a long time until they eventually had a TSB on it. Got it fixed. Then some time after that it started doing it again, which was about 5-6 months ago. I've since sold the truck and bought a DCLB sport auto.

To me the auto is leaps and bounds over the manual. The manual is fun and has nice crawling gears, but for everyday driving and gas mileage the auto wins.

I personally never had problems with the clutch slipping. It did shutter during certain types of weather. The rpm hesitation is normal. It seems to get better with mileage, as if it 'learns' your driving style. Changing the intake probably won't help the rpms.

Products Discussed in

To Top