1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spacers or springs???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by matt45648, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Mar 16, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    matt45648

matt45648 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    On the 3" toytec lift, whats the difference?

Also, will I need anything else?

2. Mar 16, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Spacers either Preload the OEM spring (if installed in the spring pack, and stiffen the ride more), or the lengthen the shock/spring assembly (if installed on the top plate, but will cause excessive wear on ball joints, and possible shock breakage if over extended).

Springs are either longer than OEM, or have a higher spring rate than OEM, or both.

In any case, new shocks are recomended for the best ride.

3. Mar 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Still trying to decide...:p lol

I was the same way. I researched for about 3 months before I pulled the trigger. I already talked to you about what I bought and what not so I'll leave it at that. Let us know what you decide.

4. Mar 17, 2009 at 12:46 AM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    spacer lifts suck because they have a crappy ride and the suspension will top out, in other words slam down and make a thud when you hit hard bumps.
    Springs will be a little bit better, but still no bargain.
    If you are on a budget get the bilstein 5100s, simple as that. They are cheap and ride well from I have heard. Ihave them in the rear and they are pretty good.

5. Mar 17, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    red06toy

red06toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    2.5 toytec, bilstein 5100 black grille, black lights, partially shaved decals remaning ones black, , trd fj wheels, sirius, Ipod interface, pre-filter delete
    i have the 2.5 spacers, if you don't mind the choppy ride they are fine. I will be ordering toytec's ultimate lift soon.

6. Mar 17, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    I had the Toytec coil spacers. Very rough ride. Granted I had some big ass 33''s as well, but as soon as I went coilovers it was a night and day diff.

Products Discussed in

To Top