Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Funny RPM thing

Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #21
gearhead69 is on a distinguished road
gearhead69's Tacoma Gallery
Yea Yea, I'm happy for you. I have had good luck forever with standards, I guess it finally ran out. Oh well!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #22
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
One more question:

Can't you guys with the 6 spd manuals learn to shift those things without the clutch? Just kinda match the rpm's to the gears and "feel" it into gear without and clutch pedal? Would this help illiviate any of your problems? I don't use the clutch ever except to start off from a start and rarely to downshift from time to time.
I can. But I prefer not to. More of a habit to push the clutch. I usually take it out of gear before pushing the clutch though. Oh, and I down shift a good amount of times. Interstate traffic is now "detoured" to the highway for construction. Lame.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #23
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
This thread was like 2 months dead, why did we bring it back? Just a thought...
Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #24
Mazdayota is a jewel in the roughMazdayota is a jewel in the roughMazdayota is a jewel in the rough
Mazdayota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
Hey don't feel bad. My auto is seeing about 16 to 18 mpg max. It's a tough son of a gun though. I sure am GLAD to have the auto after reading this post. Suckers LOL.

One more question:

Can't you guys with the 6 spd manuals learn to shift those things without the clutch? Just kinda match the rpm's to the gears and "feel" it into gear without and clutch pedal? Would this help illiviate any of your problems? I don't use the clutch ever except to start off from a start and rarely to downshift from time to time.
LOL, horrible idea but whatever floats your boat. I personally couldn't be happier with my 6-speed. I won't be caught dead buying an auto. Anyhow, after about two months I've gotten the shifting down. 2800 RPM seems to be the sweet spot for regular driving but first gear likes to wind out a little more
Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #25
trixnrice is on a distinguished road
trixnrice's Tacoma Gallery
when i press down the clutch, my rpm actually jumps up 100-200 rpm. then drops down normal until I decompress and balance with gas.
my former 06 Si had the same electronic feature tied to the clutch mechanism. with the si it was described as an rpm hang function installed on purpose, so that when shifting, there would be no rpm drop what so ever for better performance or friendier shifting supposedly. whatever its for, its normal and i've gotten used to it.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #26
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdayota View Post
LOL, horrible idea but whatever floats your boat. I personally couldn't be happier with my 6-speed. I won't be caught dead buying an auto. Anyhow, after about two months I've gotten the shifting down. 2800 RPM seems to be the sweet spot for regular driving but first gear likes to wind out a little more
I will try that, I have been shifting at 2000... it isn't bad.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #27
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixnrice View Post
when i press down the clutch, my rpm actually jumps up 100-200 rpm. then drops down normal until I decompress and balance with gas.
my former 06 Si had the same electronic feature tied to the clutch mechanism. with the si it was described as an rpm hang function installed on purpose, so that when shifting, there would be no rpm drop what so ever for better performance or friendier shifting supposedly. whatever its for, its normal and i've gotten used to it.
Yup, the rev hang on this truck is normal. I too came from 07 Si and it had a slight rev hang but not as much as the 06 did but then Honda came out with a reflash to the ECU to fix that for the 06. So I was thinking Toyota can do the same if they choose to. It takes a little getting use to no rev drop while shifting.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #28
trixnrice is on a distinguished road
trixnrice's Tacoma Gallery
oh yea, i remember that. never got around to it though.

but yea agreed, just gotta get used to it. no worries.