Notices

Funny RPM thing

Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Runamuk is on a distinguished road
Navy: CTM
Runamuk's Tacoma Gallery
Funny RPM thing

Hello everyone,

I have this strange little thing going on when changing gears on my 09 AC 4x4 6sp. When shifting between gears the RPM's hang, meaning when I lift my foot off the gas, the RPM's don't drop. It's like their waiting for me to complete the gear change and step back on the gas. I spoke with my dealer and test drove another 6sp and it did the same thing, so I'm guessing it's normal? By the way....I hate it! Anyone know what the deal is with this? Not sure why I didn't notice it before but I only have 640miles on the truck so I'm still getting to know her.

Tks
Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i dont have a manual, but sounds almost like a rev match of some sort
Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yup....its normal..Another reason I chose the Auto.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it, as do all the 6speeds. I've read from other people that it has to do with emissions in some way, but I'm not entirely sure the reason it does it. I've got 25000 on my truck now and it is just second nature and not a big deal to me any more now that I've driven with it for some time. You'll get used to it.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
aaronk is on a distinguished road
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
As others have said, it's normal... Seems to be worse when you shift at certain RPM's. Nothing you can do but adjust to it. Toyota failed big time on the 6spd....
Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
Pootz is on a distinguished road
Pootz's Tacoma Gallery
You're not shifting fast enough if you notice it. Just kidding. I must admit this is one thing that sort of bothers me as well on my six speed. The revs don't drop until you nearly return to a stop during deceleration.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Same here....

Are you all better, now??
Old 03-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
Runamuk is on a distinguished road
Navy: CTM
Runamuk's Tacoma Gallery
Well like I mentioned in the orig post...I do hate it....but not near enough to drive an auto.
Did a bit of research because I remembered reading about this issue before. It is also a factory setting in the 05+ Mustang's (I used to have a 08, it was in a different fourm) Reason I didn't notice it in that car is due to I bought a performance tune before taking receipt of the car that does away with this symptom. Now all I need to do is find a tuner for the Tacoma. Anyone know any?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has that RPM lag that drives me nuts, when you lift your foot off the gas it takes anywhere from 2 to 4 seconds before engine braking takes place because the RPM only drops a couple hundred and then just hangs there, it also has some sort of high idle set that is right about 1200 RPM, if you are coasting down a hill and kick it out of gear the tach will never drop below 1200 until the truck almost comes to a complete stop
When these two things happen together it pisses me off and makes me wonder WTF were they thinking.

Lets say you are coming down a logging road coasting along under compression in 3rd gear, as the grade flattens out and the truck begins to slow, when it gets down to that magical 1200 mark it is like the truck goes into freewheel for that also magical 2 to 4 second lag time and then again begin to slow down.

If I had to do it over I'd have bought the auto since the manual in my opinion is a complete waste of aluminum that would have been more productive making 1307 beer cans.

I loved all the previous Toyota manual boxes I have owned but they really missed the mark on this one
Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I think it was something to do with burning the gas left in the engine instead of just dumping out the exhaust. Emissions
Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
I think it was something to do with burning the gas left in the engine instead of just dumping out the exhaust. Emissions
Not sure that could be the reason. Anytime you let off the throttle, and in gear, the ECU cuts the fuel to the injectors until around 1200 rpm. Then, it only gives fuel needed to keep the engine at idle. Once the injectors are "turned off", there is no longer any fuel in the engine to burn, as the last ignition stroke burns any fuel left in the cyl.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 6spd does the same thing and i didn't like it at first but once i figured out the rpm range that it shifted smoothest at i love it now. It seems to me that if i tach each gear to about 2800rpm then it never drops below 2000rpm on my next gear so it helps with smooth acceleration IMO. It did take a few hundred miles of driving before i was comfortable with it though.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Yup! Thanks for askin'!
Good to hear!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #16
Mazdayota is a jewel in the roughMazdayota is a jewel in the roughMazdayota is a jewel in the rough
Mazdayota's Tacoma Gallery
I've noticed the lag and it doesn't bother me too much yet. In my experience all cars have some sort of lag. My Protege takes about .5 sec or so to lift throttle completely but that's because I've also tightened up the throttle cable a bit. These trucks have a digital throttle right? Perhaps that has something to do with it?

I wonder what the flywheel weight is in this truck. I know it has little to do with engine braking but a lighter flywheel would definitely have the engine speed dropping more quickly.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #17
gearhead69 is on a distinguished road
gearhead69's Tacoma Gallery
It is an electronic emission thing. If it decelerated quickly the fuel would not shut off as quickly and a small amount of unburned fuel is wasted. Let your foot off the gas then push in the clutch and shift, it will fix your prob completely. I am pissed off with mine cause the throw out bearing is bad at 50k, and my mileage sucks 16mpg. I am going to have my flywheel lightened. LUK
Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #18
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
its rev match.. When you change gear its a constant rev instead of changing gear and then getting a jolt
Old 05-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
its rev match.. When you change gear its a constant rev instead of changing gear and then getting a jolt
Gearhead has it correct.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #20
Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha
rngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to allrngrchad is a name known to all
Location: The former USA now USSA (United States Socialst America)
rngrchad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead69 View Post
It is an electronic emission thing. If it decelerated quickly the fuel would not shut off as quickly and a small amount of unburned fuel is wasted. Let your foot off the gas then push in the clutch and shift, it will fix your prob completely. I am pissed off with mine cause the throw out bearing is bad at 50k, and my mileage sucks 16mpg. I am going to have my flywheel lightened. LUK
Hey don't feel bad. My auto is seeing about 16 to 18 mpg max. It's a tough son of a gun though. I sure am GLAD to have the auto after reading this post. Suckers LOL.

One more question:

Can't you guys with the 6 spd manuals learn to shift those things without the clutch? Just kinda match the rpm's to the gears and "feel" it into gear without and clutch pedal? Would this help illiviate any of your problems? I don't use the clutch ever except to start off from a start and rarely to downshift from time to time.