1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch chatter when starting off in 1st.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DropBack10AndPunt, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Dec 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    DropBack10AndPunt

DropBack10AndPunt [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 6spd BONE STOCK
    Yep, comes with a steering wheel.....
    I'm the owner of a 2013 Tacoma double cab with a 6 spd gearbox. At around 7500 miles I began noticing the clutch lightly chattering when taking off in 1st. After taking it to the local dealer, the disc, pressure plate, and release brg were replaced. Had it back now 3 days...... Still detect the chatter. Any insite???? Should they have replaced the flywheel too?????? ....... Or it just a characteristic of this truck??? Thanks!

2. Dec 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff

does it go away when u get up in the RPM's? if so, its pretty much a characteristic of the truck

3. Dec 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    I don't know about the V6, but some 2.7L's were fitted with crappy Mexican made LUK clutches. Had my clutch and flywheel etc... replaced under warranty with the Japanese made Aisin clutch. It's been better than ever.

Maybe you could find out if they replaced your clutch with the same crappy brand they took out? If they did - Insist on Aisin Parts.

4. Dec 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    samiam

samiam Always here, never there

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Stinky Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR DCSB 4.0 6MT 1E7 Alu Cab
    Workin' on Workin' on it
    Let the clutch out slower, and give it more gas. I think urd makes a solution to the problem.

5. Dec 6, 2013 at 5:49 AM
    DropBack10AndPunt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 6spd BONE STOCK
    OK, Thanks for the reply... I'll try it. Had a 2001 2.7 4X4 5 spd. that engaged smooth as silk.

6. Feb 12, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    mcflymarty

mcflymarty Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Access
    I have the same issue with my 2012 V6 Tacoma… but I have been totally unsuccessful in getting my Toyota dealership to address it (at four separate scheduled services). Every time they say the same thing: "Technician unable to duplicate." I even went out with the service consultant myself once (albeit, the warmest morning of the year), and the mild chatter that I modeled when the truck was first warming up was deemed as "insignificant" or possibly related to "operator error."

The truck now has 29k miles on it, and the 1st gear chatter (much more consistent and predictable during cold temps and under any load) has been happening since 7500k.

My question is how you guys were able to get Toyota service to successfully address this problem? Any tips?

Beyond frustrated because I don't want to replace this clutch out of my own pocket if it goes to total crap post-warranty...

7. Feb 12, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    Skunkman

Skunkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    Mine has been doing the same thing since I got it, and now has 160 K on it. The clutch seems strong, it just slips, or chatters when starting out in first gear at times. it is also more noticeable in cold weather.

8. Feb 13, 2014 at 5:28 AM
    DropBack10AndPunt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 6spd BONE STOCK
    Sorry for the delayed response.... The dealer installed a replacement clutch disc, pressure plate & throw out bearing about 2 months ago----- low and behold------- STILL CHATTERS!!! :-/ I've decided to let it go. I'm thinking maybe the flywheel may be slightly warped???? They didn't change it. They said it was OK.

9. Jul 29, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    TacoTrooper

TacoTrooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Double Cab 6-spd manual
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 6-spd manual
    Hey OP. I recently took my truck in for a chatter sound that I can hear when the clutch is disengaged, pedal to the floor, and I go over small bumps. I originally attributed as normal, but the dealer said they think its the transmission. They want to replace it under warranty and see.

Since then, as I await the part, I read about the flywheel chatter and figure that could be the cause.

Do you ever hear the sound when coasting with the clutch pedal to the floor when going over small bumps?

I've always found the truck is a tad noisy, dare I say "grindy" when starting off in 1st which I thought was just the noisy V6, but now starting to think its all the same problem.

How's the truck sounding these days, better or worse?

Thanks !

10. Sep 17, 2014 at 3:53 AM
    DropBack10AndPunt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 6spd BONE STOCK
    ...been offline for awhile...... Still chattering at takeoff but used to it now. We're at 18k mi. Now and not seeming to get worse. I do not detect it when coasting - not yet anyway :-/

11. Sep 17, 2014 at 4:12 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...on-information-your-6-speed-transmission.html

When you coast with your foot mashed down on the clutch or coasting in neutral you separate the engine from the powerflow but you are still going to get feedback from the rear diff going over the railroad tracks or bumps .
    This is caused by reverse powerflow . When you remove your foot from the gas pedal and select nuetral you are coasting , however the rear differential is still driving the driveshaft as the vehicle slows down and there is no way to disconnect that power from the transmission . If there was a clutch on the rear of the transmission and you had that clutch mashed to the floor , you wouldnt feel the reverse power flow you are feeling when the truck rolls in neutral

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top