1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate backup camera 2005

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by will5885, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Dec 6, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    will5885

will5885 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Prerunner V6
    Homertaco Grill, Hella 500ff, BAMF Light Bar, OTRATTR Light Switch, Pioneer x5500BHS, Camerasource Backup Camera
    Hi guys,

I'm new to TW and purchased a 2005 Prerunner Access Cab about 6 months ago. I have been doing a lot of research on the forum as I would like to add a backup camera after recently adding a pioneer avh-x5500 head unit. I live in a small town house with a tiny garage but since I'm not willing to let the truck sleep outside I make it fit every night with about 3 inches to spare. A backup camera I would be a game changer.

I wouLd really like to keep the oem look and feel the only way to see the bumper would be to shoot from the tailgate handle. I have read that many go with a pop and lock with camera from camerasource but many members have reported problems and that the pop and lock is not top quality. Anyone had great success with the camerasource unit? Also I would like to look into getting a 09+ factory handle and adding a camera. What cameras will fit without too much modification? I am not willing to give the stealership more than just the tailgate handle. I also do not need the lock so I would almost rather go without.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and will keep everyone up to date on an install once I figure it out.

P.S. If anyone has a oem handle with camera they need to depart with, feel free to PM me ;)

Kevin

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top