Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

GPS Install - Hardwired to the A-Pillar

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Juicifer is on a distinguished road
Juicifer's Tacoma Gallery
GPS Install - Hardwired to the A-Pillar

Several people have posted this mod before, but this one is a little different than others I've seen. I was able to do the complete install without any special tools other than a drill, no tapping bolts, off the shelf parts, and no visible permanent alteration to the interior panels if you ever want to undo it. It also can be adjust a bit more so you don't end up with a blind spot.

Parts needed:
RAM Motorcycle Twist and TiltÖ Pivot Base with 1" Ball PN RAM-B-360-U

1" Double Socket Arm for 1" Ball PN RAM-B-201U-A

Ram X-Grip Universal Holder PN RAM-HOL-UN7BU

Add a circuit

Android Micro-USB 12V to 5V or,

Garmin compatible regulator with Mini-B USB

Two ATM style fuses for the Add a circuit (stock one will not fit)

Ring terminal to ground the power cord

6mm Metric bolt with 8mm head, to replace the stock grab handle bolt.

Tools needed:
Small drill
8mm socket
10mm socket
4mm allen wrench for Ram Mount assembly

The nice thing about using this Ram Mount is that it does not require modification, and it offers a little bit more adjustment. All you need to do is throw away the extra side mount piece that comes with it, and buy a bolt with a small enough head to fit down inside the mount and bolt it on, and slightly longer. The stock grab handle bolt has too large of a head to fit inside the mount.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves, as most of it is pretty straight forward.

The add a circuit installed, with the ring terminal grounded to a nearby bolt on the upper right side of the fuse panel.

Drill the A-pillar cover out a slight amount to make room for the power cord.

Drill the grab handle out slightly to make room for the power cord.

Install the cord, wrap the cord behind the other wiring as shown, such that it does not interfere with the airbag should it deploy.

Install the A-Pillar cover and route the cord on the side of the plastic tab as shown, so it stays away from the airbag.

Install the base of the Ram Mount, note that I was able to fish the wire past the mount without drilling any of the finished surfaces.

Voila!

Just make sure whatever cord you buy converts the voltage down from 12V to 5V if you are wiring a USB device.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
J0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J0HN_R1's Tacoma Gallery
Good job, but it's way too close to the steering wheel for my liking...

Old 12-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
I'm lost
1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sexy
1993t100's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome! I've got a 93 T100 (similar to the interior of the first Tacoma's, however not exact). I took out my cigarette 12v plug, and ran it down to a panel that's easily removed. I only have my phone charger plugged in right now, but when I buy a GPS & radar detector I'll buy one of these http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Three...+plug+splitter and keep them all behind the dash to keep it clean. I heard it's a job to run wires up by the heater vent to the top of the dash but it can be done, which is what I'll be doing. Great write up!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up

Looks good.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
I did this same thing a while back using the other write-up on here, but I did it with the straight mount that I epoxied a 6mm stud to. I really like the pivoting ball mount you used though. How is the adjustability on that? Can you just spin it around where you want it?The way mine is now will only low articulation of the RAM arm in a small range since the arm conflicts with the ball mount stick at certain angles.

My GPS ends up sitting about 2 inchs offset from the steering wheel and at about 10 o'clock as it is. Anyone with huge hands would have an issue lol.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Juicifer is on a distinguished road
Juicifer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
I did this same thing a while back using the other write-up on here, but I did it with the straight mount that I epoxied a 6mm stud to. I really like the pivoting ball mount you used though. How is the adjustability on that? Can you just spin it around where you want it?The way mine is now will only low articulation of the RAM arm in a small range since the arm conflicts with the ball mount stick at certain angles.

My GPS ends up sitting about 2 inchs offset from the steering wheel and at about 10 o'clock as it is. Anyone with huge hands would have an issue lol.
The rotation is adjustable, but locks down as you tight the grab handle bolt. The next joint out, the pivoting ball, can swing with some force from the hand (it is tightened with a small allen bolt, but not fully locked). Because I swung this piece toward the windshield, it helps keep the GPS away from the steering wheel. So to answer your question, yes, you can get much more adjustability out of it. If the arm starts impeding the ball, you can just rotate the whole assembly a little bit and get more articulation between the ball and the slots of the arm. My motorcycle has the problem you speak of, which is part of the reason I used this setup on the truck, to avoid that ball/arm binding at high angles.

You can tell from the pictures that it is close to the steering wheel, but probably not as close as it looks. It does not impede normal driving at all.

If that still concerns you, you can easily adjust the whole unit further back and to the right, but it will then create a blind spot on the corner of your windshield. Not a big deal though. I can adjust it by hand in seconds, and have found that the best position for me is as shown. It's probably about 6"-8" away from the steering wheel, although it is hard to tell from the pictures. You won't be hitting your knuckles on it.

Products Discussed in this Thread