1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GPS Install - Hardwired to the A-Pillar

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Juicifer, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Dec 7, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    Juicifer

Juicifer [OP] Member

Member:
    Several people have posted this mod before, but this one is a little different than others I've seen. I was able to do the complete install without any special tools other than a drill, no tapping bolts, off the shelf parts, and no visible permanent alteration to the interior panels if you ever want to undo it. It also can be adjust a bit more so you don't end up with a blind spot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Parts needed:
    RAM Motorcycle Twist and Tilt™ Pivot Base with 1" Ball PN RAM-B-360-U

1" Double Socket Arm for 1" Ball PN RAM-B-201U-A

Ram X-Grip Universal Holder PN RAM-HOL-UN7BU

Add a circuit

Android Micro-USB 12V to 5V or,

Garmin compatible regulator with Mini-B USB

Two ATM style fuses for the Add a circuit (stock one will not fit)

Ring terminal to ground the power cord

6mm Metric bolt with 8mm head, to replace the stock grab handle bolt.

Tools needed:
    Small drill
    8mm socket
    10mm socket
    4mm allen wrench for Ram Mount assembly

The nice thing about using this Ram Mount is that it does not require modification, and it offers a little bit more adjustment. All you need to do is throw away the extra side mount piece that comes with it, and buy a bolt with a small enough head to fit down inside the mount and bolt it on, and slightly longer. The stock grab handle bolt has too large of a head to fit inside the mount.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves, as most of it is pretty straight forward.

The add a circuit installed, with the ring terminal grounded to a nearby bolt on the upper right side of the fuse panel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drill the A-pillar cover out a slight amount to make room for the power cord.
    [​IMG]

Drill the grab handle out slightly to make room for the power cord.
    [​IMG]

Install the cord, wrap the cord behind the other wiring as shown, such that it does not interfere with the airbag should it deploy.
    [​IMG]

Install the A-Pillar cover and route the cord on the side of the plastic tab as shown, so it stays away from the airbag.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Install the base of the Ram Mount, note that I was able to fish the wire past the mount without drilling any of the finished surfaces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Voila!

Just make sure whatever cord you buy converts the voltage down from 12V to 5V if you are wiring a USB device.

2. Dec 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    J0HN_R1

J0HN_R1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75" FR, Deaver 1.5" TSB leafs RR, SpiderTrax 1" spacers, custom LED interior & bed lights, 2005 4Runner Sport 17" wheels powder coated satin black
    Good job, but it's way too close to the steering wheel for my liking...

;)

Capt._Kill likes this.
  3. Dec 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    1993t100

1993t100 I’m good looking and I drive a Jeep.

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    Looks awesome! I've got a 93 T100 (similar to the interior of the first Tacoma's, however not exact). I took out my cigarette 12v plug, and ran it down to a panel that's easily removed. I only have my phone charger plugged in right now, but when I buy a GPS & radar detector I'll buy one of these http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Thre...1265&sr=8-15&keywords=cigarette+plug+splitter and keep them all behind the dash to keep it clean. I heard it's a job to run wires up by the heater vent to the top of the dash but it can be done, which is what I'll be doing. Great write up!

4. Dec 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    Nice write-up

Looks good.

5. Dec 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I did this same thing a while back using the other write-up on here, but I did it with the straight mount that I epoxied a 6mm stud to. I really like the pivoting ball mount you used though. How is the adjustability on that? Can you just spin it around where you want it?The way mine is now will only low articulation of the RAM arm in a small range since the arm conflicts with the ball mount stick at certain angles.

My GPS ends up sitting about 2 inchs offset from the steering wheel and at about 10 o'clock as it is. Anyone with huge hands would have an issue lol.

6. Dec 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    Juicifer

Juicifer [OP] Member

Member:
    The rotation is adjustable, but locks down as you tight the grab handle bolt. The next joint out, the pivoting ball, can swing with some force from the hand (it is tightened with a small allen bolt, but not fully locked). Because I swung this piece toward the windshield, it helps keep the GPS away from the steering wheel. So to answer your question, yes, you can get much more adjustability out of it. If the arm starts impeding the ball, you can just rotate the whole assembly a little bit and get more articulation between the ball and the slots of the arm. My motorcycle has the problem you speak of, which is part of the reason I used this setup on the truck, to avoid that ball/arm binding at high angles.

You can tell from the pictures that it is close to the steering wheel, but probably not as close as it looks. It does not impede normal driving at all.

If that still concerns you, you can easily adjust the whole unit further back and to the right, but it will then create a blind spot on the corner of your windshield. Not a big deal though. I can adjust it by hand in seconds, and have found that the best position for me is as shown. It's probably about 6"-8" away from the steering wheel, although it is hard to tell from the pictures. You won't be hitting your knuckles on it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  7. Jan 3, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    Going to make this happen

8. Jun 5, 2015 at 5:38 AM
    BlueManRising

BlueManRising Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Double Cab 4x4 MT
    Yellow Wire Mod, BenWA Rear window Mod, Equilizier Upgrade, Sub Install, Nerf Bars
    Awesome, just bought all the stuff to do this next weekend. Thanks for the write up. I like the motorcycle twist part, it definitely will give better articulation than the ball in the other review.

9. Sep 9, 2015 at 10:24 PM
    opg4

opg4 2015 TRD Double-Cab Short Bed

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Beautiful Land!!
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Prerunner Double-Cab 4.0
    Great Info!!! thanks!!

10. Aug 11, 2018 at 11:00 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    What sized amp did you use? I want to do this

11. Aug 11, 2018 at 11:29 PM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Also where do you tap the power cable into? Any photos of that?

12. Aug 11, 2018 at 11:34 PM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    Also how did you route the cable up to the pillar? Sorry for all these questions

13. Aug 12, 2018 at 2:50 PM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    Anybody?

Capt._Kill likes this.
  14. Aug 12, 2018 at 4:14 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    There's no amp involved o_O
    Fuse panel below and left of the steering wheel. He did post pictures.
    He posted pictures of that too. I found it easiest to poke a stiffer wire down from the top and then use it to pull the new wire up.

Everybody.

SR-71A and Rick_Taco like this.
  15. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:19 PM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    So you literally just plug the add a fuse into an empty fuse slot and route the cable up?

16. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    You can use an occupied one.
    You'll be powering something like this:
    DC 12v 24v to 5v Power Inverter... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017PWWA9O?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf Make sure you get one with an end that fits your phone.

If this is confusing you, you might want to seek local help. You don't want to cause yourself electrical problems.

17. Aug 12, 2018 at 6:35 PM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    Ya I ordered that. A USB cable that converts 12 to 5. What sized fuse should i plug into since I'm not adding another one

18. Aug 13, 2018 at 12:12 AM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    I also ment fuse instead of amp. My mind was on audio lol. Do you need to splice the add a circuit and the charging cable together?

19. Aug 23, 2018 at 10:58 PM
    20somethingwidataco

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    Alright I'm back at it. Has anybody used this with a galaxy phone? I'm having a hard time finding the correct power converter charging cable for a galaxy phone. The one link provided for said power converter charging cable says it wont work for galaxy phones

20. Aug 24, 2018 at 6:51 AM
    Mudtime4me

Mudtime4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Lexington North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Double Cab Tacoma TRD
    Following.

To Top