1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof RAILS (not racks) for Double Cabs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BobsTruck, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Dec 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    BobsTruck

BobsTruck [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    No mods yet. Just ordered an Icon stage 2 lift...
    Double cabs come with mounting holes (under removable rubber strips) that you can attach the factory Toyota roof rack to. I want to put on some roof RAILS so I can use my existing Thule crossbars -- they won't work with the factory rack.

TWO QUESTIONS: Does anyone know of a roof rail I can buy that will mount into the existing mounting spots? Also, the Toyota Highlander comes with the rail type that I'm looking for -- Will the Highlander rails bolt up to the Taco roof?

Thanks much.

2. Jan 22, 2014 at 5:13 AM
    Mr Souc

Mr Souc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    I have always wondered the same thing. I have a Thule set up too and don't care for the mounting foot pads driving into my truck. The also mess the clear coat up too... I currently have the OEM roof rack and that is rather flimsy IMO...

I'm with you, ideally I would love to find a bolt on rail system that I can use the Thule 450R with my crossbars and kayak mounts. I have done quite a bit of searching on here and only seem to come up with bolt on baja style racks for an arm and a leg.

There has got to be a solution somewhere...

3. Jan 22, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    OverPar

OverPar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Light bar (X3 Hella), Thule/OEM RR, Avid OR BO Sliders, TRS Projector HL (BHLM), 5100s F/Rear @ 1.75
    I use the OEM rack as siderails. Works good. Mounted the Thule crossbars to the OEM rack in the stowed position. I put a roof basket up there on a trip to and from CT to Virginia Beach. Basket weights ~40lbs and I threw non heavy extras in a roof bag. Nothing over, basket included, ~100 lbs. Heavy stuff goes in the bed.

4. Jan 22, 2014 at 5:27 AM
    OverPar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Light bar (X3 Hella), Thule/OEM RR, Avid OR BO Sliders, TRS Projector HL (BHLM), 5100s F/Rear @ 1.75
    Pic of OEM Thule crossbar set up from the side
    [​IMG]

5. Jan 22, 2014 at 6:03 AM
    drewp

drewp Well-Known Member

Member:
    south Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '14 Sport/DCLB
    I just did the same thing as OverPar. Installed the factory rack on my new '14 DC. I couldn't use my old thule feet due to the rails being too wide. I purchased a used set of Thule crossroad adapters. These fit around the wider factory rail. I'll be carrying lumber, outrigger canoes, etc. on top. So far..so good. Everything seems tight and secure.

*would post a pic but we just got over a foot of snow! Rack is buried!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  6. Jan 23, 2014 at 4:36 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    OverPar and drewp: Once you installed the Thule Crossbar adadpters (looks like the Thule 450 Foot Pack from the pic, I would be using the Thule 450R, the same thing only for the AeroBlade rails vs bars) how stirdy is the rig? My OEM rails, even in the stowed position wobble around the the mount holes. If you grab them in the center, you can rock them back and forth probably 10 + degrees. Do you guys experience that? Or do the Thule cross rails eliminate the wobbling?

7. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:00 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I took some pics to try to illustrate what I mean my the rocking or wobble motion of the rails when they are stowed. You can kinda tell from there pics but its 3 degrees out with a -5 windchill here in Maine this morning so the plastic is rather stiff. This rocking motion is MUCH worse in the summer in warmer temps when the plastic is pliable. This rocking motion is the same when the bars are in the non-stowed position too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jan 23, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    OverPar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    My OEM seemed sturdy before I attached the Thules. I didn't do the same 'rock test' until after I put the Thule's on however. And after those were installed I grabbed them and rocked them pretty good. They're on there good. As I said too, I took a trip w/a roof basket w/a roof bag filled with beach toys, a cpl scooters, chairs, etc, and it didn't give me any problems or indication that it was coming loose. The trip was a round trip from CT to Virginia Beach. I used the extra clearance b/w the roof and basket and used some ratchet tie downs to strap the bag to the roof basket (along with the ties on the bag). Very sturdy here.

9. Jan 23, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    OverPar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirt Guy
    NW CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Dont know specifically which threads but I have seen others with similar setups. As w/anything, do what makes you feel comfortable and double check your work. You can put any set up up there and if you half ass it....not good.

10. Jan 24, 2014 at 4:47 AM
    drewp

drewp Well-Known Member

Member:
    south Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '14 Sport/DCLB
    After installing the factory roof racks, I did pull up and wobble the rails a bit. I did observe a "little" play BUT I mostly wanted to make sure that I couldn't pull the factory folded rails out of their receiver. I could not. After placing the thule feet and bar, the set up appeared to snug up the whole system where there was NO play. Everything seems solid. Again I pulled up as hard as I could and I couldn't dislodge the rack out of the receiver. Re: which feet to use...make sure you're using the type that has a "strap" that wraps around the rail (it is adjustable to different sized rails). The older style (in my case) wouldn't fit around my factory Tacoma rail.

11. Jan 24, 2014 at 7:23 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    The only way you can install the adjustable tracks on our DC is to drill through the roof. Unfortunately, the rain channels are not used in this application. A competent shop that does rack installs on camper shells should be able to do this. My shriveled balls are too small to attempt this.

12. Jan 24, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
  13. Jan 24, 2014 at 7:39 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Not 100% positive but I wold say no. I've had the tracks on a camper shell before and the way the roof line slopes on our trucks I don't "think" it would work. Again... not 100% positive but would hate to spend the money to find out it didn't work or it looked like shit.

14. Jan 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
  15. Jan 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Oooo, its getting good!

Staying tuned!

16. Jan 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    Nope but that's the same tracks that I have read awhile back somewhere online that was used on a Tacoma install. They did a new drilling site just inside next to the factory channels. They did cut the length down to their liking and using the plusnuts to bolt down without needing headliner access. Those tracks are too wide to sit flush inside the rain channels. I have also read on some owners finding wider landing pads and drilling through the factory rubber strip to bolt down to factory holes.

17. Jan 24, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    I'm still looking for dimensions including width for the Yakima tracks. The Thule tracks are 1 5/8" wide. Does someone know the dimension of the ditch without me going out to the garage?

18. Jan 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    The molding is 1" 1/4 wide. Won't fit.

19. Jan 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    jcayce