Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cold smoke even after it's warmed up

Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Mmmmm, bacon
OffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OffsetPlayer2's Tacoma Gallery
Cold smoke even after it's warmed up

I tried searching for this, but didn't see what I was looking for. Sorry in advance if someone has already asked this.

Obviously, it's getting colder outside, so I can expect some cold smoke while idling at a red light or at home while it's still cold. This morning it was only about 45 degrees, but this still happened. Even after driving at highway speeds for 15 miles after sitting at my house for 5-10 mins idling to get warmed up, I'm still seeing quite a bit of that "cold smoke" when I stop at a red light. It doesn't have any sort of smell to it, other than typical exhaust smell, don't really notice it while driving, just see it in my mirror when I stop. This seems to happen only on the cold days and not when it's warmer outside.

Does anybody else notice this with theirs?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
If it is steam (most likely) it will dissipate in the air and nothing to worry about. Air temp and humidity play a factor with that.

If it is smoke it won't and will linger. I think you're fine.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffsetPlayer2 View Post
I tried searching for this, but didn't see what I was looking for. Sorry in advance if someone has already asked this.

Obviously, it's getting colder outside, so I can expect some cold smoke while idling at a red light or at home while it's still cold. This morning it was only about 45 degrees, but this still happened. Even after driving at highway speeds for 15 miles after sitting at my house for 5-10 mins idling to get warmed up, I'm still seeing quite a bit of that "cold smoke" when I stop at a red light. It doesn't have any sort of smell to it, other than typical exhaust smell, don't really notice it while driving, just see it in my mirror when I stop. This seems to happen only on the cold days and not when it's warmer outside.

Does anybody else notice this with theirs?
My 2011 every winter day. Warming up the truck is good for it mechanically when operating in colder temperatures, but it has no effect on how the exhaust dissipates into the atmosphere when leaving the tailpipe. If you can see your breath you're generally going to see your exhaust.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Mmmmm, bacon
OffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
If it is steam (most likely) it will dissipate in the air and nothing to worry about. Air temp and humidity play a factor with that.

If it is smoke it won't and will linger. I think you're fine.
This seems to be about right. It doesn't hang around long. Just kinds floats out of the exhaust and goes away. Just wanted to make sure nothing weird was going on. It drives fine, doesn't make any odd noises or anything. Just trying to get some other thoughts as well.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
Condensation
Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffsetPlayer2 View Post
This seems to be about right. It doesn't hang around long. Just kinds floats out of the exhaust and goes away. Just wanted to make sure nothing weird was going on. It drives fine, doesn't make any odd noises or anything. Just trying to get some other thoughts as well.

Thanks
Yeah... I think your good. Drove the FR-S about 20 miles the other day and it was about 20*F. Once I stopped there was still steam coming out of both tail pipes. Looked cool but nothing to worry about.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Mmmmm, bacon

Sounds good. I didn't think there was anything to worry about, but figured I'd ask anyway. All my other cars seems to stop once they were warm so it had me wondering. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
I find that when it gets colder outside, it hangs around a lot longer. The other day when it was around -14F outside, anywhere that I went it was there. But I know that all that cars I have ever owned have done this. So I know there is nothing wrong. If it starts spewing out blue and black exhaust constantly then I'd be concerned. But you're fine.

You have nothing to worry about.