1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ATTN: Retrofit people. How did you seal your headlight rubber boot?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by itzyoboipaul, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Dec 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    itzyoboipaul

itzyoboipaul [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    PFville, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Cement
    tackled my first retrofit ever. honestly wasn't too bad except I had a little fogging this cold wet morning (about 28degrees and light rain)

need advice regarding the rubber boot behind the headlight. this is for my 2013 tacoma. I just did a morimoto mini h1 retrofit from trs was wondering how you usually close the opening of the rubber boot where the projector wires and bulb wires come out.

im pretty confident i resealed very well using trs butyl and a lot of clamps and even added a little silicone after. after parking the car, about an hour later the fog is gone [​IMG]

i had some tape all over it so that theres no opening whatsoever at first (when the fogging occured) but i read the headlight needs to breathe also
    Do you just leave it as is with a little bit of gap? do you put silicone? maybe electrical tape to try to close any opening?

what did you guys do to the opening of your rubber boot?

thank you in advance

boot_zps3f2e2d48_0772e97e4ee5740fa384083567860bf41ec610d8.jpg

2. Aug 28, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    1rooster

1rooster TACOMA31750

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra crewmax
    5100's ALL WAY AROUND, 885X COILS, DRIVER SIDE LEAN SPACER, ICON PROGRESSIVE AAL W/O OVERLOAD, 265/75/16 KENDA KLEVER M/T. 1 1/4 SPIDERTRAC WHEEL SPACERS, GEN 1 TRD COLD AIR INTAKE, STOCK MUFFLER WITH CHOPPED TURNDOWN, 5% TINT OVER FACTORY, DEBADGED, TOYOTA RUBBER BED MAT, WEATHERTECH MATS,UWS TOOLBOX, UNDERCOVER SE, LOCKER MOD, REAR BUMPER, PIONEER DOUBLE DIN WITH PARKING BREAK OVER RIDE, CUSTOM OIL CATCH CAN, FULL LED INTERIOR, ARB BUMPER REPLACEMENT. COVERKING SEAT COVERS. MORIMOTO H1 MINI COVERSION WITH MINI GATLIN GUN SHROUDS AND 5000K MORIMOTO BULBS. TRAILER PLUG RELOCTED TO BUMPER. 20 INCH LED LIGHTBAR MOUNTED BEHIND CUSTOM PAINTED GRILL. STUBBY ATNENNA
    Anybody have any answers ? Got my morimoto h1 kit in a couple of days ago and can't figure out how I'm going to get a proper seal.

3. Aug 28, 2014 at 1:22 PM
    TRSAndrew

TRSAndrew Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    22 T4R Sport 6V7
    I don't even run housing caps because: 1) the back of the housing never gets wet, and 2) water won't enter from the back--it enters from the two halves of the housing.

If it bugs you, pick up a pair of 80mm housing caps and pass the wires through those. :)

4. Aug 28, 2014 at 1:29 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    If you wheel, water, dirt & mud all get in your engine bay including the headlights. If you wanted to seal that part up just cover it with some silicone with your finger tip.

5. Aug 28, 2014 at 2:07 PM
    braik

braik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 4.0L 4x4 BASE
    2" Ironman 4x4 (B) Front Spacer Level LR UCAs Level 8: Tracker Wheels 255/75 Cooper ATPs Welded Rock Sliders Weathertech floormats Wet Okole seat covers JVC Head Unit Diff Breather Mod Zip Tie Mod Needle Bearing Mod HID Retrofit (Acura TL-R)
    I cut my rubber boot a small bit at a time until the connector just barely fit through the hole. Mine uses the DS2 bulbs though so the connector is bigger than yours.

6. Aug 28, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    1rooster

1rooster TACOMA31750

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra crewmax
    5100's ALL WAY AROUND, 885X COILS, DRIVER SIDE LEAN SPACER, ICON PROGRESSIVE AAL W/O OVERLOAD, 265/75/16 KENDA KLEVER M/T. 1 1/4 SPIDERTRAC WHEEL SPACERS, GEN 1 TRD COLD AIR INTAKE, STOCK MUFFLER WITH CHOPPED TURNDOWN, 5% TINT OVER FACTORY, DEBADGED, TOYOTA RUBBER BED MAT, WEATHERTECH MATS,UWS TOOLBOX, UNDERCOVER SE, LOCKER MOD, REAR BUMPER, PIONEER DOUBLE DIN WITH PARKING BREAK OVER RIDE, CUSTOM OIL CATCH CAN, FULL LED INTERIOR, ARB BUMPER REPLACEMENT. COVERKING SEAT COVERS. MORIMOTO H1 MINI COVERSION WITH MINI GATLIN GUN SHROUDS AND 5000K MORIMOTO BULBS. TRAILER PLUG RELOCTED TO BUMPER. 20 INCH LED LIGHTBAR MOUNTED BEHIND CUSTOM PAINTED GRILL. STUBBY ATNENNA
    [​IMG]
    So I think I'm just going to permatex the rubber into the existing garment as shown in the pic. Hopefully that will give it a tight seal.

7. Aug 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM
    PhatTaco12

PhatTaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Roseville, CA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4X4 Off Road
    In progress
    I cut the 4 little edges down on the main boot down flat so you could actually fit the small rubber disk in the whole and it seals inside the groove. Then it's tight and you don't have to use any sealant. A little time consuming with a razor blade but once you get one done the others are quick. The main boot then sticks out and not sucked in like it originally fit.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  8. Aug 28, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    I cut a cross shape into mine.

9. Aug 29, 2014 at 11:08 AM
    itzyoboipaul

itzyoboipaul [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    PFville, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Cement
    thanks guy. mine never fogged up after the first incident :) almost a year now and going stroing

10. Sep 10, 2014 at 10:12 AM
    1rooster

1rooster TACOMA31750

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra crewmax
    [​IMG]

If your not running any halos then this should be your easiest method I could come up with. Just invert the grommet and slide the round rubber piece to where it sits flush then rtv silicone them together. I also ran my + and - wires for the solenoid through the other two holes.put a dab of silicone on them too and let sit for about an hour. There you go. Water tight

Products Discussed in

To Top