1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New owner: tonneau/roof rack question

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by drewp, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Dec 11, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    drewp

drewp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    south Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '14 Sport/DCLB
    Hi everyone, soon to be (hopefully in a couple of days) a new Tacoma owner (TRD Sport/double cab/long bed). Leaving a Dodge Dakota. I know what mods I plan to do on the truck...some more immediate...some down the road. I've searched the forum for some info first. The first mods are going to be a tonneau cover and roof rack. I've used a soft Extang black max w/snaps on my Dako. I use this because I'm going to hopefully fit a custom made bed rack/roll bar that I used on my Dako for 6 years and I can modify the soft cover to accomodate the rack. Has anyone used a soft cover such as this? I've looked on some of the vendors websites and I'm assuming that the bed/rail clamps must attach to the factory Taco rail somehow (because I notice theres not a lip on the bed sides)? Secondly, I'll be placing some kind of a roof rack. I like the look and fit of the factory roof rack and I see where it can be gotten and relatively easily fit. My question is, how structurally strong is this rack? Sometimes I might carry a bit of heavy lumber, metal bar, etc (most of the time it'll carry SUP boards and OC1 canoes) Since the crossbars fold away into the rack, I'm kind of gathering that they're not that strong. Any input? Should I go with a Thule system (since I have most of their bars, components, etc. anyway)? I'm looking forward to the truck AND getting involved on this site!

Products Discussed in

To Top