Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

'05+ Tacoma front bumper build

Old 03-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Are you Recreationally Insane?
mr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brant Luckow
mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
'05+ Tacoma front bumper build

Well I went up to Idaho Falls and spent the weekend with Steve of CBI Off-Road Fab. Inc. and got started on building a front bumper for the front of my truck. These new trucks sure have alot of just down low and a huge cavity in the front center of them behind the factory plastic. So it took us awhile to come up with a mounting system that we felt would be adaquit to the use of the bumper. We got from the main tube down built with the exception of the skid plate that will go in the center from the main tube all the way to the bottom. Here are a few pics of what it looked like as we were building and of what it looked like when we got done with it sunday.

Mounting

More mounting with the reciever in place

And checking the clearance for the skid plate with a winch cradle pinned in.

This weekend I will be going back so we can finish building from the main tube up and start the sliders. We are going to try and come up with something that is going to be specific to the d-cabs.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
That looks awesome so far. Cant wait to see the finished product.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Costco Gold Star Member
superHI is on a distinguished road

superHI's Tacoma Gallery
lookin good!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
gtz85350 is on a distinguished road
gtz85350's Tacoma Gallery
really good work bro! looking foward to the finish product!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Looking real good man! I'm thinking about a similar design, subscribed!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Looks really good. Subscribed.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Desert Riding Ninja
A.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Graphics Artist
A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed!! That looks great, can't wait to see it done.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
another guy with a tacoma
ToyoRunner has a spectacular aura aboutToyoRunner has a spectacular aura about
ToyoRunner's Tacoma Gallery
wow, nice!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:11 AM   #11
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed, cant wait to see 'er finished up
Old 03-19-2009, 04:12 AM   #12
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good so far man.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #14
FL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
FL Forester's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to see it finished. Keep track of the measurements for each piece for the rest of us.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
mr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
So I spent another day at CBI with Steve finishing up the bumper for the most part. Steve still has a few things to do but doesn't need it on the truck to do it. We did not take pics of the new reinforced mounting brackets. You have to wait to see them.....but I can tell you that there is no way this bumper will ever seperate from the frame unless you are removing it yourself by undoing the bolts. It is very stout, in fact it was very stout before, but just to ease people's minds, Steve came up with a great bolt on reinforcement bracket so installing and removing the bumper is still super simple. The skid is not on yet and he still has some gusseting to do on the reciever hitch itself but you all can see the shape and style I chose for my bumper. If you want one you can do with it what you want. I say this cause even Steve wasn't sure about what we were building until it was all on and we could step back and look at it from a distance. It is different and i love it. There will be either two Lightforce 240's or 170's in the center opening when I get the cash for them. So here are a few pics...

Old 03-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #16
Costco Gold Star Member
superHI is on a distinguished road

superHI's Tacoma Gallery
mean
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
I dunno if I like it or not. Have to see the finished product. Props to the manual labour though!
+1
Old 03-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #19

mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I know it is different but I didn't want to just take a '95-'04 styled tacoma bumper and build it for the '05+. I wanted something new that I hadn't seen 100 versions of. I think we have that with this bumper. And once the skid plate and lights are in it, it should all tie together very nicely....

Thanks you everyone for the compliments and the constructive critism.

I am still torn between putting Lightforce 240's or 170's in the center opening though. What are your opinions? The 240 is about 9.5" around and would sit just a hair behind the front edge of the top hoop. Or the 170's, they are about 7" around and would sit about 1" behind the front edge of the top hoop.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #20
G-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really nice

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.trd View Post
Thanks. I know it is different but I didn't want to just take a '95-'04 styled tacoma bumper and build it for the '05+. I wanted something new that I hadn't seen 100 versions of. I think we have that with this bumper. And once the skid plate and lights are in it, it should all tie together very nicely....

Thanks you everyone for the compliments and the constructive critism.

I am still torn between putting Lightforce 240's or 170's in the center opening though. What are your opinions? The 240 is about 9.5" around and would sit just a hair behind the front edge of the top hoop. Or the 170's, they are about 7" around and would sit about 1" behind the front edge of the top hoop.
The 240s would be a great addition to the new bumper! I think that as long as they rest behind the leading edge of the hoop you will be good to go. They are pretty tough by themselves, not to mention with the protection from the hoop on the bumper.