1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension help please!!?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by XxRonZombiexX, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dec 13, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    FATaco

FATaco Meh

Member:
    First Name:
    Friends call me Ginger
    Fairbanks
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD DCSB
    Dakars w/AAL, OME/886's, All Pro Front Bumper, Rear bumper, IFS skid, and UCA's. Superwinch Tigershark. Magnaflow muffler... vrooom
    I have had both as well and I prefer the smoothness of an AAL over the constant bottoming out of the suspension with a block. Guess it's just a subjective matter of opinion.

2. Dec 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport Blue Ribbon Metallic
    LED Dome, LED Map, LED License Plate Bulbs, , Konig SixShooters Matte Black, Toyo Open Country ATII's 285 70 17, Satoshi, Bilstein 5100s (set to 0), 885s, LR UCA's, Icon RR 2.0 +2, All Pro Standard 3" Leaf Pack, All Pro Flip Kit, Sway Bar Relocate, Exhaust Chop, Antenna X 14", Debadged, Tint, Matt123 Black TRD Skid, Black Weathertech Mats
    I have a 2" block its not bad but I do have axle wrap. 1" should be fine without axle wrap your choice. Everyone will have there own opinion on a block v aal of course an aal is better but a block will suit you and is an easy to do it yourself project as I installed my blocks in about 2 hours

3. Dec 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    4runnercaged

4runnercaged Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    yes it would.

what he said VV my aal broke my back on speed bumps till i added a few hundred pounds. an aal will allow you to carry more weight. but a block will still have the stock suspension feel. with more axle wrap. but he will only be on road so im sure he will be just fine.

4. Dec 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    4runnercaged

4runnercaged Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    what are you basing this on?

block will be smoother than an aal, trust me. first hand experiene.

increased pay load with more springs = rougher.

5. Dec 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    craigb

craigb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Bilstein Shocks under bed lighting all weather mats window rain guards bed mat
    I have the same problem front is now a little higher, I am putting a 1" block in today. I have a 2013 DC LB with 4 leaf. If I add a AAL to mine I feel it will be too stiff. I got my 1" block from Toytec

6. Dec 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    craigb

craigb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Bilstein Shocks under bed lighting all weather mats window rain guards bed mat
    Put the 1" blocks in today and it is level all the way around and rides really nice. I can tell a big difference from not having them in to having them in. 22 1'4" from center of wheel to bottom of fender.

7. Dec 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    OP.. how mad are your current leafs? If they are already frowning the the block would give you a bit more height but wouldn't do anything for your frowning leafs. If you do an AAL and your leafs are bad, it would give you the lift and give you a little more time with the inevitable... Getting a new leaf pack.

8. Dec 14, 2013 at 12:21 AM
    FATaco

FATaco Meh

Member:
    First Name:
    Friends call me Ginger
    Fairbanks
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD DCSB
    Dakars w/AAL, OME/886's, All Pro Front Bumper, Rear bumper, IFS skid, and UCA's. Superwinch Tigershark. Magnaflow muffler... vrooom
    So, according to your logic, my truck with full dakars and the aal should ride like a tank, yet it rides better than stock. Trust me, first hand experiene. ;)

BTW~ Your 4Runner is bada$$!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  9. Dec 14, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    craigb

craigb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport

Maybe they ride the same, My 1" block rides better then stock. Maybe it all depends what condition your rear suspension is in or how you leveled or lifted your truck. Could be a lot of factors. I have bump stops in my garage for my tires to ride up on. Now when I pull in I can just feel them going up on them. Really smooth.

10. Dec 14, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.
    OP - given yours is an 06 your springs are most likely shot in the rear. Another suggestion might be find someone in your area selling almost new or post TSB factory leaf packs. That should get your rear up to where it needs to be.

Also measure hub center to bottom of fender. Front and rear. If you are level that measurement will be close to the same. Our trucks do have an optical illusion to them when they are level and at some angle appear to be high in front.

Regarding AAL vs block ride feelings - AAL will change the ride in the rear since you are adding a layer to the spring pack which will change spring rate of the pack. A block will not change the ride of the spring but as stated above it does increase the possibility of axle wrap which our spring over axle design already leaves us more susceptible to.

As far as how the ride feels with either - that would actually depend on if you change your rear shocks. A properly valved shock for an AAL will help the truck ride as smooth or smoother then a stock configuration. A slightly longer shock on a block should ride like stock. A factory shock with an AAL or a block will ride rougher. The factory shock is not valved for the AAL nor is it long enough for a block. So at that point it becomes your choice on how you want it to feel and what you as the driver can handle.

Products Discussed in

To Top