1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Buyer's Remorse with your Tacoma. Need opinions.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mongoose71, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dec 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    OP, I think you see the kind of loyalty the Tacoma enjoys. I think one of the top things going for it is its size...large enough in DBL Cab model for family or friends, yet small enough to maneuver in tight spots. You'll never get total agreement on things like seat comfort, factory radio, etc. The key is to get the features you want up front. Personally, with a grown son, the base Access Cab Prerunner with the 2.7/Auto was everything I needed. I love the rugged look of it and I don't tow anything, don't do any off-roading, live in an area where ice and snow is an infrequent occurrence, so 4WD was not necessary. I really like my truck.

2. Dec 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    BigHeadTaco

BigHeadTaco GFY

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Head
    Full OME lift 885's with Dakar leaf springs. LR UCA's. ImMrYo relocation bracket.
  3. Dec 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Dude you will miss your raptor but with a supercharger and icon stage 4 suspension you,should be very happy with a Tacoma :D

4. Dec 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    Mongoose71

Mongoose71 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    The Raptor is going to be picked up and shipped out to Vegas Saturday. I only put 2365 miles on it in over 6 mnths. It was way too nice of a truck for me. And yes, I miss it already. But a Tacoma will be much more practical.

5. Dec 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    Only remorse here is not getting an offroad package....need it now that I'm in an icy winter climate :(

6. Dec 12, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    shackley

shackley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro MT Super White
    RCI rock sliders, Goodyear Ultraterrains 265/70/R16, BAK X2 tonneau
    I've owned 5 and now have a 2013 ACC MT Baja. The best mid sized truck on the road.

7. Dec 12, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    Mongoose71

Member:
    Maybe i should consider the off road package,, but the TRD Sport looks awesome. Too bad you can't have them both rolled up in one from the factory.

8. Dec 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    PnoyBOS5

PnoyBOS5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 PRERUNNER
    Maxtrac 4'' Spindes -Bilsteins 5100 @ 1.75" - All Pro Expo Leaf Pack - Extended Rear Shocks - PC 5001 wheels - 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs - Debadged -Red emblem - AFE Pro Dry-S Filter
    Love it, Kinda want a tundra for no reason now.

9. Dec 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    The rear leaf springs suck beyond belief. I have only 5000 miles on mine and I'm going to have to replace them; they are simply not up to the task. Any task. That being said, I love the rest of the truck and would buy it again, knowing I'd have to replace the rear springs.

10. Dec 13, 2013 at 1:14 AM
    willymcd

willymcd New Member

Member:
    only have had my 14 access cab trd OR auto for a few day but I am liking it.

Except: speakers are only just barely good enough, stock tires kinda suck, auto transmission doesn't have a real manual gear select like the 4runner or any other modern auto, but it seems to do an ok job at picking the right gear when going up mt. passes. Seats have very limited adjustability, would have been nice to be able to dip the butt farther down to get more support on your lower thigh. Parking visibility isn't as good as the frontiers I drove (with the frontier it is easier to see where your hood actually ends, and the backup camera has a better view.
    And finally why the hell isn't there a MPG readout, or temperature? these are basic things that are standard in all cars and are very useful. For me outside temp is a safety thing for driving in the mountains, when the temperature drops below 40 it is usually a good idea to drive slower and take it easy around corners if the roads are wet, most cars will even give you a snowflake or ice symbol to warn you.
    And what is this BS about the gimmicky etunes with its stupid weather app being a good replacement for an outside temp gauge? First off you have to be in HD radio reception, which is typically only in bigger cities and also just because the weather channel says it's 45 near you doesn't mean its not freezing where you are. Also the traffic map is pretty worthless, as it lacks details and can really only tell you about highway traffic.
    Your phone can do this stuff, do it a billion times better and can do it in so many more places that it makes this stuff just worthless on the etunes.
    Because of toyota's cheapeness in not including these basic features I'm going to have to spend a few hundred dollars on a new review mirror and an ultra gauge.

Having said that, etunes integrates really well with your phone, and the bluetooth hands free calling is actually useable, unlike my old audi A3 and my folks nissan Juke. It is also really nice to stream music to it through BT!

Last gripe is the key fob. This thing looks like it is from the early 90's. and takes up a butt load of room in my pockets, also the range is the weakest of any car I have used in the last 10 years, I will probably just ditch the fob and use the key to manual lock and unlock it now. I have been using my parent juke for a few month with keyless ignition and I thought it was kinda gimmicky at first, but after a few weeks with it I couldn't believe how awesome it was not to have to take your keys out to unlock, lock and start the car, while only having something the size of the tacomas clicker in your pocket.

Overall I am happy with the truck, the thing is awesome. But I am also Kind of bummed about how antiquated it is compared to everything else out there, especially for what it costs.

11. Dec 13, 2013 at 1:51 AM
    Geoffthepilot

Geoffthepilot Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    12 double cab TRD
    running boards, Bakflip bed cover, tint......so far.
    Super happy with mine. I am really a classic car guy. Have a 51 ford but my taco is much mor reliable and functional. The only thing I'm not so happy about is the rust. I'm in Hawaii so metal corrodes here more quickly than most places. I have a 2012 and it already has a rusty frame. So I have been paying attention to it a lot and checking out other tacos as well. Also looking at other trucks to compare. Tacomas seem to be rusting more than other trucks. More than my 51 ford. The ford did have its frame painted 8 years ago but that is still a good stretch longer than a two year old truck. So I don't think I would buy any other truck now over a tacoma but I am disappointed in its corrosion rate. Kinda takes awaY from the super good resale value. That's my only bit of remorse.

12. Dec 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM
    TomTwo

TomTwo I love God but I cuss a little

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    I-85 Southbound and Truckin
    Vehicle:
    Totaled 2012 TRD Sport, 2013 TRD Double Cab Sport
    The only regret I have is not buying one sooner. go drive one or two of them and shop around between dealerships if you can. Here in Atlanta there price differences like crazy between Dealers.

13. Dec 13, 2013 at 2:58 AM
    Admiral Awesome

Admiral Awesome IG:Bucklaooooo

Member:
    First Name:
    anthony
    Houston Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD LT
    Camburg 3in LT kit fox shocks/bypasses 315-75-16 Scs f5 wheels gunmetal 16x8 Prinsu rack 40in heretic light bar Cali raised ditch light Baja squadron pros McNeil fiberglass fenders Adv fiberglass bedsides Volant intake
    don't see myself driving any other truck :)

14. Dec 13, 2013 at 3:34 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    you guys get these stupid freezing rain storms over there too? that was my main issue without 4wd. even w/ sandbags in the bed, I can't up my driveway when it's icy lol.

15. Dec 13, 2013 at 4:06 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    OP, if you are going from a Raptor to a Tacoma, I suggest while you are at the dealership, test drive a tundra. Going from a full size V8 to a midsize V6 DCSB might be too much unless you don't need the extra room, power, or towing capacity. Can't go wrong with either Tacoma or Tundra although Tacoma seems to have better resale value and better offroad capabilities.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  16. Dec 13, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    doghair

doghair Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 Single Cab 4x4
    Bought mine without even test driving it. I had a '91 many years ago and it was one of my favorite trucks ever. I went with a white '13, 4x4, single cab, 2.7 , buckets, auto. I compromised nothing, the biggest problem was the two week wait for them to get it in. Just about at 5K miles now and have absolutely no complaints. I don't really calculate mileage but am getting 200 miles on the nose at a half tank. I thought I'd miss the power features like windows, locks and thumb controls but now that I've been in it awhile, I really don't miss them at all, less crap to break. I made two changes by replacing the dunlops with BFGs and a wolo big bad max horn. I installed my CB and put a UWS toolbox on, I'm good to go. I know bigger people that are a little cramped in this size truck but I'm not a big person so it fits like they took my measurements and built it for me. Uber comfortable.

17. Dec 13, 2013 at 6:30 AM
    Mongoose71

Member:
    I'm going to do some looking this morning. The nearest dealer is 30 miles from me.

I have driven a 2001 Tundra Limited TRD 4x4 daily for almost 13 years. Its size is inbetween a Tacom and the new Tundras and other full size trucks. The Raptor was almost too big. And way too nice to drive to the woods or to work (stinky papermill).

18. Dec 13, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    MTLTaco

MTLTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    Is rust proofing available where you are. I rust proof my frame before every winter and its is pretty much spotless besides the odd surface rust that my guy gets rid of before he sprays again. Best $100 spent every year

19. Dec 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    sdsyver

sdsyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    I traded in a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited for my Tacoma and my only remorse is that I bought the Grand Cherokee first. Love the truck. Very solid and does everything that I need it to. Have it in for it's first oil change today in fact.

20. Dec 13, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    I find it interesting what some people call "basic features." To me, basic features are things like heaters, manual locks and windows, and air conditioning, if you live in Texas. I've been driving for more than a few years now, and I find that things like outside temp and a gauge to track mileage are more in the "frills" area than basics.

Products Discussed in

To Top