1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AVS in channel window visors

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cquester5, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dec 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    cquester5

cquester5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I ordered AVS in channel window visors for my 2014 Double cab TRD Sport and they arrived yesterday. I tried installing the driver side today and the window catches on the edge of the visor at the front near the mirror.
    The instructions say to:'' slide the front end flange of the visor into position outside the window channel in between the rubber trim and the mirror cap. Then, rotate the visor up and slide top and rear flange inside the window channel.
    There is no way to transition from the outside of the rubber moulding to the inside as the moulding is all one piece.
    The size and shape of the visor appears perfect.
    I called AVS/Lund and the rep was super nice. She had me read the number from the back of the vent shade and said it must have been mispackaged and that the one I have fits the Tacoma access cab. They are sending a new set free of charge. My question is ..........do the access cab and double cab use a different door shape and or window moulding? From a manufacturing stand point that would seem costly. But, hopefully the next one will fit correctly.

2. Dec 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Not sure of the measurements, but I believe they do. I know the visors are specific to single, access, or double cab models.

Where yours is so new it's possible that design changed slightly and they are having "teething" issues, but the description of the directions you posted is how mine went into my '10 regular cab and it was smooth like butter.

3. Dec 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    Larueminati

Larueminati Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    I bought a set last week for my 2013 double cab. I also saw in the directions that the front is supposed to fit as u are describing between the mirror cap and window channel but they are not designed that way for the double cab apparently. They only fit when in the window channel from front to back. My drivers side window nicks the plastic when I roll it up but not bad at all. If you get a different set in return report back and I'll send mine back too.

4. Dec 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    itzyoboipaul

itzyoboipaul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    PFville, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Cement
    mine did this . I have a double cab 2013. the front part of the driver side visor was nicking when I roll the window up.

So I took it off, grabbed a sand paper, sanded the part that was nicking. made that area a little thinner. put a new set of double sided tape, re-installed and BOOM slides like butter now! :D

best part is that the part I sanded goes in the inner park of the rubber moulding so you wont even see it

5. Dec 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    cquester5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    The AVS/Lund rep had me read the part number printed in the plastic inside the visor itself and it was 192706, the correct part number according to her is 194056 for my year/model. Again, she said the other part number was for an access cab, and the ones I received for the front were apparently mispackaged. The rear ones were marked 194506 on the visor itself as was the packaging. I will post back when the new ones arrive.

6. Dec 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    Larueminati

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    Did you ever receive the new set from AVS? I also have the "mispackaged" set with the 192706's in the front and the 194506's in the back.

7. Dec 23, 2013 at 3:57 AM
    cquester5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    The new set had the same part numbers so, I am not sure the rep knew what she was talking about. I am not sure I will even try to install them as it looks as if the same issue will present itself. I am thinking I may try another brand or scrap the idea of window visors entirely

8. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    could always try the AVS low profile stick on's. i prefer those over the in-channel ones.

dont get the regualr avs stick on's, they stick out about 3-4 inches compared to the low profile ones.

but thats just me :)

9. Jan 29, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    cquester5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have resolved my issue with the AVS in channel visors. Since the new set I received from Lund appeared the same as the first set I was not receptive to even trying them. So, when I ordered my floor mats from Chas of MRT I ordered Weathertech window visors too. The fronts fit exactly as the AVS claims to fit and it completely resolved the issue of the window catching it, plus they are snap-in on the front, no adhesive needed. The rears fit the same way as the AVS using adhesive tape. The whole thing makes a nice,clean sleek. low profile installation and with the discount offered by Chas of MRT for TW members and free shipping you can't go wrong

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  10. Jan 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    Larueminati

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    After I received my replacement set from AVS and it was the same as my original set I ended up returning them to autoanything and exchanging for the EGR's which have been great.

11. Jan 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    Does anyone have these visors installed with window tinting?
    It looks like the WeatherTechs rest against the exterior side of the glass, so they might not screw up the tint, any opinions or experience?

Thanks.

12. Jan 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    cquester5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks!!!! For some odd reason it did not occur to me to return the AVS to Amazon. After reading your post I contacted them and I had until 1/31/14 to return them they even sent a mailing label......no need to let them waste away in the garage!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  13. Jan 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM
    cquester5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I think all of the in channel visors rest on the exterior of window glass. The Weathertech brand fit my truck much better than the AVS did and there may be others that fit well too, but I like the way the Weathertech fits all the way down the channel on the backside of the mirror to where the window comes out of the door. Which , in the instructions for the AVS visor sounds the way theirs are supposed to fit, but are not actually made that way.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  14. Jan 29, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    update here: talked to AVS, told me I was installing it wrong, I told them that I know that but it will not go in the way they are supposed to...back and forth!

I kept them, installed the wrong way but actually works fine for me, doesn't catch the window or anything...IMO the AVS look a little better than the weathertech since they don't have the part that goes all the way down at the mirror but that's just me

15. Jan 29, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    cquester5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Not sure what you are updating, and how it is installed wrong but working??:notsure:

16. Jan 29, 2014 at 3:53 PM
    degu2000

degu2000 Well-Known Member

Member:

Weathertech inchannel were on my truck when I bought it. I tinted it shortly thereafter. I have not had any issues with them rubbing the tint at all, as someone else posted out they rest on the outside of the window. I have, however, noticed there are slight scratches around the top 1/4" or so of the window. All 4 of the roll down windows have these little scratches on them. They are hard to see without looking specifically for them though, as my tint extends to probably within 1/8" of the edge of the window so it covers a lot of them.

Doubt it makes a difference but my tint is the Lumar film.

17. Jan 29, 2014 at 4:03 PM
    bvlpxm

bvlpxm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    Upstate South Carolina near Spartanburg but have l
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRDsport 4x4
    AVS vent shields & bug deflector - Floor Mats - AVS sill protectors- Gentex K51a auto dim,temp, compass, homelink - OEM Bedmat - Pulled TRD Sport decals-frame undercoat - DU hitch cover- Gloss black high temp paint Brake Drums, Calipers, Muffler back exhaust - OEM Bedmat - CK Neosupreme Seat covers
    My AVS in-channels went in without issue. Great fit between the weatherstrip & door metal. no touching glass at all. very clean look as opposed to stick on' 10 minutes & all 4 were done. The one thing I do after install is take some 600 grit paper to the damn sharp edge to keep from slicing my fingers. done this on several. Picked them up on Amazon cheaper than anywhere.

Also added the AVS sill protectors these look great with the same embossed pattern as the inside sill. they wrap down over the lip and ar moulded plastic that comes up into the curved portion of the door will try and add some pics shortly. oicked these up on Amazon warehouse deals "used" (open package) for <$20 for the set of 4. again about a 10 minute install.

18. Jan 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.

Thanks guys, trying to decide if I want these. I am in the NW (a lot of rain normally) and seems like the water runs in more on this truck then my last one.

19. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:34 AM
    cquester5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Glad the AVS visors worked out for you. But, I am curious about one thing, in reading the instructions and watching video's of installations I was of the impression the AVS visors were intended to mount inside the rubber window channel. Apparently, you installed them in between the rubber channel and the metal of the door? I did not see that as an installation option, but, hey, whatever works.

20. Jan 31, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    bvlpxm

bvlpxm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    Upstate South Carolina near Spartanburg but have l
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRDsport 4x4
    AVS vent shields & bug deflector - Floor Mats - AVS sill protectors- Gentex K51a auto dim,temp, compass, homelink - OEM Bedmat - Pulled TRD Sport decals-frame undercoat - DU hitch cover- Gloss black high temp paint Brake Drums, Calipers, Muffler back exhaust - OEM Bedmat - CK Neosupreme Seat covers
    My bad - they are in the rubber channel & installed just as the Lund International Utube video for In Channel vent visor #194940 ( not a tacoma in the video). I do not see any evidence of glass rub at all. Did forget to mention when I close the window after install I lay a thin rag ( like tee shirt) over the window & do let the thing set as instructed without opening for at least 24 hrs. I also check alignment when first installed & if they are somewhat canted or too tight to the window I will align & stuff a rolled rag or towell between the glass & visor while the window was all the way up. Went back & looke at what I ordered & the vent visors were # 194056 & sill gaurds #91021.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top