1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD beadlock Wheel issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MrFastener, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Dec 15, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    MrFastener

MrFastener [OP] Fastener Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Richmond VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Xpro
    3" Toytec Ultimate Adj coil over lift with light racing UCA's, Nittos, remote res rear shocks,
    I have the 16" TRD beadlocks on a 2013 DC TiX Pro. At 100 miles, I installed the Toytec 3" lift with LR UCA's and Nitto 285/70/16's. After a month of tire rub on sharp turns, and after triming of inners, I got rid of the 285's and went back to 265/75/16 but in Nitto terras.. Still, on an occasional sharp turn I had what felt and sounded like tire rub.
    Additionally, I have high speed vibs that felt like wheel balance issues. Have had 3 balances and same problem. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the stock brake calipers are within 1/4" of touching on these wheels. After digging further, I noticed the calipers were in-fact touching and throwing my weights!! The stick on weights are a little over 1/8" thick so when the vehicle is under stress in the corner the bushings must compress just enough to allow the caliper to scrape those stick on's off. I thought it strange that Toyota would put these special 16" TRD wheels on a vehicle when all others are 17". I cant find a TSB or anything on this and assume most people that have it probably mistake it for tire rub when it seems to be a design issue with too small a wheel. Anyone with 16" wheels or 16" TRD wheels having balance issues or notice what seems like tire rub with a stock tire??? Anyone know anything about this??

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. Dec 15, 2013 at 4:33 AM
    Tacomacaribe

Tacomacaribe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arlington VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TX Baja
    I have a 2013 Baja with those wheels. So far, no issues. However, that's a big problem if in fact is a design issue. Hopefully, it's not a safety issue????!!!!!

3. Dec 15, 2013 at 4:42 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Put the weights in a different spot. Should be a simple fix and its a common error from crappy tire shops.

And make sure the rear wheels clear the front calipers otherwise when you rotate your tires those weights will go by by.

4. Dec 15, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    MrFastener

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Richmond VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Xpro
    3" Toytec Ultimate Adj coil over lift with light racing UCA's, Nittos, remote res rear shocks,
    I even put 11/4 Spidertrax spacers on but the weights are still in the path of the caliper. It's no wonder so many people have balance issues. Putting 16's on this truck after they increased the caliper size seems to be the issue. Forget offroad, Take a hard turn without hitting the brakes and when they grab you max out the meter that says pucker factor..You'd swear you had tire rub.

5. Dec 15, 2013 at 5:10 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I've got those rims on my 2012 T|X Pro. Bought it new on October 27, 2011 and have put 64,370 miles on it...still have good tread on original tires and no lift or other suspension alteration. I've never had or needed to have the tires/wheels balanced and I have ZERO vibration unless mud or ice becomes trapped in the negative specs around the fake locking ring.

6. Dec 15, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 AC TRD OR
    Base model, sr5, and trd off road tacomas all come with 16" rims from the factory. They all have the rim weights that clamp on the outside though too. Sounds like your tire shop is putting the weights in the wrong spot. Maybe someone who's not having issues with their trd bead lock rims can try to get a pic of where the weights are? Or the op can go to the dealership and look at one on the lot.

7. Dec 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    I have nothing constructive to ad, ... but I would get rid of those crummy wheels as fast as you can by selling them to me for dirt cheap. I will dispose of them properly. :thumbsup:

8. Dec 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    TacoTrooper

TacoTrooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Double Cab 6-spd manual
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 6-spd manual
    I've be running a used set of Bajas I bought off Craigslist for about 2 months. No issues.

9. Dec 16, 2013 at 3:42 AM
    MrFastener

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Richmond VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Xpro
    It's not actually the caliper, it's the clearance between that dust shield on the back of the rotor to the rim. Extremely close on these 16" rims. Apparently when the vehicle is lifted, it's putting more stress on the bushings and in tight curves has just enough play to wipe the stick on weights off. Looked like the factory weights were well inside the rim vs where the tire shops put them. I'll see what the dealership can do on a re-balance today. Worst case, break out the dremmel tool and do some trimming on that shield. Not sure if other years have same size shield as the 2013's but been fighting what I thought was tire rub ever since I lifted it. May save another Taco owner some time by posting the info-

10. May 24, 2022 at 5:47 AM
    microsnook

microsnook Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR MGM MT
    I had a shit tire shop do this. When rotating my tires rear to front they would not clear. What a sloppy job.
    Also, my bead lock caps or whatever they're called are loose. I think broken, as i've tightened them without fixing the issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top