1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who does your regular maintenance?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RigidTaco, Dec 17, 2013.

?

Who does your regular maintenance?

1. Truck under warrenty, I(or a buddy) do(es) it all

24.8%
  2. Truck under warrenty, I bring it to Toyota(or shop where warrenty is)

32.2%
  3. No warrenty, So I may as well do it all

38.9%
  4. No warrenty but I'd rather pay someone to do it to make life easier

4.0%
  1. Dec 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's not unlike the engine air filter.
    It depends on conditions. Inspect it at every oil change, replace it when it is dirty.

If you park under a tree, you can jack up the cabin filter in 5,000 miles.
    If you live in the city and park underground, it might last 50,000.

2. Dec 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    Houston-76

Houston-76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montgomery Co Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd pr dcsb
    Tinted windows - weathertech floor mats - removed front mudflaps - no seatbelt chime mod - fogs on anytime mod - Borla catback exhaust - afe throttle body spacer - K&n filter - Kmc Xd hoss wheels 17X9 4.5 backspace - rubbers are 275/65 17 yokahama geolander a/t's - Maxtrac 4" lift spindles - allpro standard leafsprings - 1.25 rear wheel spacers - arctic white headlights and fogs - kings coming soon - supercharger coming later
    I have done all mine so far following the maintenance guide since i bought her in 08. plus all my mods ;)

3. Dec 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    While it was under warranty i took it to the dealership. Now that it is out of warranty it will be a combination of myself and a shop my dad and i have been going to for 30+ years (well my dad for me only 5 years). Theres a lot of things i just dont want to deal with. And the shop is a very nice shop that doesnt try to just rip you off. Pay more for oil changes but they do it all. Check brakes, ALL fluids and top them ALL off, rotate tires, change filters, and some other stuff. They dont lie on things either which is why we go there. They will say o brakes are at 30%, ask them if they need to be changed and they will just say lets evaluate it at your next oil change. So many shops would just say you need to change them then and there. Or when my dad had his old truck he thought the starter had gone out or was going out since it would only start 50% of the time. So drove it to them and they looked it over and turned out it was just a bad cable (something had tried to eat it) so they replaced the cable and didnt charge anything. Two hours of diagnostics and a free cable cause you are a loyal customer...cant be beat!

4. Dec 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not getting into my long story of life; but I do all my maintenance.

5. Dec 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    rileySB

rileySB RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    5100/887, Dakars, 285s, Built Right UCAs, Icon rears
    That's crazy- Ive had my truck 6 months, have put 11K on it with about maybe 250 miles of dirt roads and the dealer told me at my recent service that I need to change both my engine and my cabin air filters! And I noticed my MPGs dropped significantly over the last two tanks- could that be causing decreased MPGs?

6. Dec 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    No warranty..... Don't really trust someone else to care enough to do it right. If i somehow fuck it up at least i know what i did!

7. Dec 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Cold weather and heavier holiday traffic will definitely impact your mileage.

Your engine air filter should be good for 30k unless you do any off-roading or drive in extremely dusty areas.
    250 miles of dirt roads MIGHT do it, but I'd want to see the filter myself before authorizing replacement.

The cabin filter? My wife can plug hers in 6 months parking under a sycamore tree. Mine will last a few years parked in the open and in the garage at work.

8. Dec 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM
    Jetlander

Jetlander Just trying to measure up...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    TKO Wheel w/ 35" BFG KM2, Volant CAI, Safari Snorkel, 3" lift, All-Pro Full Skid Underarmor, Chopped/Re-Routed FlowMaster Exhaust, CBI Moab 2.0 Front Bumper, DerpWerx High Clearance Rear Bumper, Rear Tire Swing Out, BAMF Sliders w/Kickouts, King Resi w/700# Coilovers on front, Total Chaos UCA's, King Long Travel with Resi's, Shock Hoops and King 2.5 Bump Stops, OME Dakar Leaf Springs mounted on All-Pro Shackle Flip w/ U-Bolt Flip, extended SS Brake Lines, DerpWerx Bedrack, 10# C02 Tank, Black Badges, Dual Optima Red Top's, Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block on custom Block mount, SuperWinch 9.5iSR Talon w/synthetic line, Prolink Thimble, 20" Rigid Dual Row LED Light Bar, Rigid Dually Floods, OTRATTW Switches, Cab Mount Chop, Cobra CB w/ 4' Firestik, Center Counsel Glock 23 mount (with plenty o' ammo!), Weathertechs, and plenty more mods to come!
    I love doing my own maintenance. It helps to have a deeper working knowledge of the machine which whisks you off everyday. It's also is a stress reliever.

Products Discussed in

To Top