LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Popping Noise?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Popping Noise?

Hey Guys,

I drive an '09 Tacoma, with the I4/five speed manual, and about 7800km (4850 miles) on the odometer. I went to start it up this afternoon, and it started just fine. The engine had been running for 5-10 seconds when I shut it off to take an important phone call that came in. Talked for about five minutes, and when I went to start it back up she really struggled to start, and was letting out a tinny popping noise from the back end, almost like a quiet backfire. It started up with some struggle and more popping noises on the second try, and seem do idle normally, but continued to let out the popping noise for the first 20-30 seconds whenever I gave it some gas. I drove about a kilometer back to the office, and everything else sounded normal during that short time.

After work this evening, it started without hesitation, but continued to let out the popping noise for 20-30 seconds whenever I gave it gas. Needless to say, I drove home with the radio off listening for strange noises, and everything felt and sounded normal the whole way.

If it does it tomorrow morning, I'm thinking I'll disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer, see if that helps. I'm wondering if anyone might have an idea of what's causing this? I'm taking it in for it's first oil change on Saturday, but I doubt I'll be able to reproduce the problem for them since it only does it when the engine is cold. Temperature's been about 5 C (41 F).

Thanks for the help
Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
ImWarren is on a distinguished road

Name: Warren
ImWarren's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I drive also drive a 4 cylinder 5 speed tacoma and I've noticed the popping noise from the rear when I start sometimes but everything runs just fine.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 four-banger would give a mild backfire on cold start occasionally.