1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Popping Noise?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Okkine, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Mar 18, 2009 at 12:38 AM
    Okkine

Okkine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Hey Guys,

I drive an '09 Tacoma, with the I4/five speed manual, and about 7800km (4850 miles) on the odometer. I went to start it up this afternoon, and it started just fine. The engine had been running for 5-10 seconds when I shut it off to take an important phone call that came in. Talked for about five minutes, and when I went to start it back up she really struggled to start, and was letting out a tinny popping noise from the back end, almost like a quiet backfire. It started up with some struggle and more popping noises on the second try, and seem do idle normally, but continued to let out the popping noise for the first 20-30 seconds whenever I gave it some gas. I drove about a kilometer back to the office, and everything else sounded normal during that short time.

After work this evening, it started without hesitation, but continued to let out the popping noise for 20-30 seconds whenever I gave it gas. Needless to say, I drove home with the radio off listening for strange noises, and everything felt and sounded normal the whole way.

If it does it tomorrow morning, I'm thinking I'll disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer, see if that helps. I'm wondering if anyone might have an idea of what's causing this? I'm taking it in for it's first oil change on Saturday, but I doubt I'll be able to reproduce the problem for them since it only does it when the engine is cold. Temperature's been about 5 C (41 F).

Thanks for the help

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    ImWarren

ImWarren Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab manual
    Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I drive also drive a 4 cylinder 5 speed tacoma and I've noticed the popping noise from the rear when I start sometimes but everything runs just fine.

3. Jan 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    My 2010 four-banger would give a mild backfire on cold start occasionally.

Products Discussed in

To Top