1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winch / Battery Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoMiller, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Dec 18, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    TacoMiller

TacoMiller [OP] Dude

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB SR5 V6M
    I am looking to install a Warn VR8000 winch on my 2013 Tacoma and I was checking the my battery CCA rating compared to what Warn says is required. I want to see if anyone here has had any experience with this winch . I have a stock OEM battery which is rated to 710 CCA, Warn mentions having a minimum of 650 CCA for the VR8000, which sounds like the battery has the capacity, however given how close it is I am curious if anyone has had any problems with a similar set up.

Additionally When looking at the performance specs at a full 8000lbs pull it will draw 457 amps, given that the alternator installed in the tacoma (again stock OEM) is only rated to 130 amps, am I going to run into trouble draining the battery quickly? The battery has a reserve capacity of 165 minutes.

Any information / experience would be greatly appreciated!

2. Dec 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    C O R E

C O R E Christian Off Road Engineering

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD 4x4 5spd v6
    Line-X bedliner, bedlined toolbox, Satoshi Grille, bedlined stock old school wheels, Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS head unit, Deck plate mod, ISR mod, K&N Drop-in, Thrush muffler dumped @ rear axle, Grey wire mod, +5mph fender stripes
    Your pull will only be at half to 3/4 load if your pulling yourself out of something for the most part, and you're not going to be pulling at that load for more than a couple minutes anyway. I'd be more concerned about overheating the winch for prolonged pulls than draining your battery. Just make sure you have really good connections at the terminals and at least 2/0 cable to the winch. I have a Warn M8000 and I'm going to replace mine with 1/0 welding cable and replacing my terminals with these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Ba...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35cf9bb7b4&vxp=mtr

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Dec 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    TacoMiller

TacoMiller [OP] Dude

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB SR5 V6M
    Good to know! Thanks for your help.

4. Dec 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Deep discharges on car batteries will prematurely shorten their life. When you replace it, you might what to consider a deep cycle with enough CCA to start your engine or a dual battery setup. If you have trouble keeping your battery fully charged, then a high output alternator replacement or a dual alternator setup could be installed. Winching at high idle will take some of the load of your battery and Clint suggested, short bursts to keep from overheating the winch motor and large diameter power cable [to reduce voltage loss]. Same rules for starter motors.

Products Discussed in

To Top