1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota ATF or RP

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MagnumTaco, Dec 20, 2013.

?

Toyota ATF vs Royal Purple

Poll closed Jan 19, 2014.
  1. Toyota ATF

24 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. RP

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Dec 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    MagnumTaco

MagnumTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Mexico
    Supercharger, Baja Suspension, TRD exhuast, Stealth pulley.
    This is my first time to put a poll into a post, hope I don't mess it up. My question is about Toyota ATF or Royal Purple. My concern is, I hear people say that Toyota transmissions can be picky. I am a big fan of RP and run it in the engine, transfer case, and axles. Am I good with putting RP in the transmission?

2. Dec 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Personally for transmissions I wouldn't run anything other than OEM fluid. My Mom's old Pathfinder was like a new truck with the OEM fluid.

3. Dec 20, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    I don't know if Royal Purple has an ATF that meets the Toyota WS specification, but I know Amsoil does. It's what I run in mine.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...c-automatic-transmission-fluid/?code=ATLQT-EA

EDIT:

This is straight from Royal Purple's website:
    PLEASE NOTE:

Max ATF is NOT recommended for the following applications: Allison TES-389, DEXRON® VI, Ford Type F and MERCON® SP & LV, Honda DW-1, Hyundai SP-IV and NWS-9638, Kia SP-IV, JWS 3324, MAN 339 Z3, Mercedes Benz 236.8, 236.12, 236.14 & 236.15, Mitsubishi SP-IV and ATF J2, Nissan Matic-S, Saab 93-165-147, Shell M-1375.4 (ZF 6-Speed AT), Toyota WS (JWS 3324) and ZF TE-ML 14C. Max ATF is not recommended for use in any CVT or DCT applications.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  4. Dec 21, 2013 at 4:46 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.

Any known facts or idea what makes this fluid special? A few years ago, I compared many different fluids. I found that many of the aftermarket fluids are not approved on account of the cost involved to have the oem test and certify, plus accomplish recurrent tests.

I wonder if the real question may be what is different between an early Tacoma trans that used Toyota Type IV fluid and the newer trans that spec WS.

I found that Mobil 1 ATF was Type IV compatible. I did a complete flush via the trans cooler line dumping the expelled fluid. I may be sitting on a time bomb, but to this day I have only noticed things are better. The shifter immediately became smoother when selecting a gear, some of the funky shift issues blamed on the computer program have smoothed out.

It would be nice to know what is different, is it too slippery to lock up the internals? Is the fluid supposed to have some electrical properties? Is it a temp concern?

PK

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  5. Dec 21, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    toyo8696

toyo8696 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumming,GA
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Sport DCSB, 2008 4R V8 AWD
    You will be fine using M1 in place of Type IV. Do NOT use it for WS. The clutches are the biggest factor in this. They design the clutch material for a specific fluid. Also how the fluid handles different pressures at different temps etc.

6. Dec 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    So based on fact, the clutch material from a Type IV fluid trans is different than a WS trans. I assume this is based on PN for the clutch packs.

So far though, replacing WS with M1 has shown no issues.

PK

7. Dec 21, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport

Actually, on my truck, TRD Sport 4.0 with Auto, there is a cable assembly that runs from the gear shift to the side of the trans. This is the selector and I believe internally, goes to the detents for each gear.

I hear you about some people having issues with non WS fluid. Seems it is typically a shudder type problem. So far, in 20 k miles mine has acted great. It also has a remote external filter and no longer uses the radiator cooler or oem towing cooler. I replumbed it for one large external cooler and converted the oem optional trans cooler to a power steering cooler.

It would be nice to know if the clutch packs are the same in the aftermarket for early trucks and later trucks.

From best I could tell from my research, it seemed they changed fluid more so for a lower viscosity, probably based on increasing MPG.

PK

8. Dec 22, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    MagnumTaco

MagnumTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Mexico
    Supercharger, Baja Suspension, TRD exhuast, Stealth pulley.
    Cool thanks guys

9. Dec 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    jandjbaums

jandjbaums Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    So,Or
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Air bags
    Jusy so everyone knows, Valvoline Maxlife is ws rated. Cheaper than Toyota fluid.

10. Dec 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    This was also a fluid I considered. Below I'll post a link to the spec sheet. FWIW, the spec sheet states in the second paragraph it does not meet WS specs from Toyota, but is approved by Valvolene for the application.

If you do more research, you will probably find that every fluid except oem Toyota WS is not WS certified, but rather approved by the fluid manufacturer, similar to Valvolnes statement.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

The after market fluids business is huge and the oems are well versed and have a strong grip on convincing people that it is oem and nothing else.

PK

11. Dec 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Eneos makes a ws atf fluid. It's about 3 bucks cheaper than Toyota ws

Eneos is Nippon Denso. Toyota has some ownership with Nippon Denso.

12. Dec 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    Fordless

Fordless Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC SR5+
    The OEM WS fluid is reasonably priced, performs well, and is readily available. Someone remind me why this is a debate again?

13. Oct 16, 2015 at 2:33 AM
    John Grimes

John Grimes Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Some people want their fluid cheaper, others want a fluid that is actually a synthetic that will out preform the stuff toyota puts out. Toyota can build a hell of a truck, but when it comes to fluids, I dont much trust the company that gets to sell me another truck when mine wears out. Max lifespan is not really in their best interest.

14. Oct 16, 2015 at 5:46 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    I've converted 2 Toyota's requiring WS to this product. Both shift as good or better than when they were running Toyota WS. My '15 Tacoma is of course still running the factory fill. When it goes out of power train warranty at 60K, I will flush and fill with the Valvoline product. That's the current plan. By the time I get to 60K, there could be other players in the game. Still waiting for Castrol to come out with their WS equivalent.

If you look around the WEB, there are many WS equivalent fluids.

15. Oct 16, 2015 at 10:03 AM
    Capt. Obvious

Capt. Obvious Fearless Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrick
    Gig Harbor
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    6" body lift, LEDs errwhere, Jesus mural on the hood
    I use the Valvoline Maxlife in my transmission as well (about a 50/50 mix of OEM and Valvoline at this point). So far so good.

Products Discussed in

To Top