1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gentex 453 Mirror and temp sensor install in 2014 Off Road - Pictures

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MustDrive, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Dec 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    MustDrive

MustDrive [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '14 White Off Road, 6-Speed, Double Cab
    Nothing major planned, this is my daily driver. - replaced stock tires with Cooper AT3s - added Husky WeatherBeater floor mats - installed Access Original bed cover - installed Gentex 453 mirror and the included external temp sensor, also has Homelink and auto-dim - installed ImMrYo mirror bracket - hose clamp mod and washer mod to secure tailgate, with a GateKeeper lock installed over the hose clamp - replaced stock reverse lights with Philips Halogen 30w from Home Depot GY6.35 base
    After reading the posts by RJP869 explaining the Gentex 453 mirror in this thread I decided to buy one from him, and install it in my 2014 Off Road. I really wanted the external temp function, the homelink, and the autodim. In short, it works great and I am very happy with the product, especially with the custom wiring harness he provides (it plugs right into the Tacoma power plug in the headliner).

I also like that the wire from the mirror to the temp sensor is pre-cut to the perfect lengths. The temp sensor has wires long enough to pass through the firewall into the pedal area, and this under-the-hood part is protected in plastic. The interior wire goes from the pedal area up the A-pillar to the mirror. These wires meet and need to be connected down near the pedals. Each has about 2 feet of extra wire in that area, making the connecting easy since it happens on the floor right in front of the driver seat (not way up under the dash).

I also installed the bracket designed by ImMrYo, and am glad I did - the visibility under the mirror is much better with the higher mounting location.

I took many pictures of my installation of the temp sensor and its wiring. I hope they are helpful.

The package included zip ties, wire connectors, and even a screw for mounting the sensor. The mirror looks great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I located the large rubber grommet where many of the factory wires pass through the driver's side of the firewall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, I looked around for a place to mount the sensor. I decided to place it just below the factory temp sensor (which is wired to the AC, from what I have read). There is a vertical bracket between the radiator and the grill, with a flat surface which looked like a great place for the new temp sensor. Since it is right below the hood latch, I basically ran my temp sensor wire along the hood latch cable all the way to the grommet in the firewall. To access that hood release cable, I removed a black plastic cover as shown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the sensor. It should be mounted pointing up, or forwards, to keep water from getting into the area where the wires connect to the sensor. I mounted it pointing up.

[​IMG]

I placed tape over the area I needed to drill so I could mark the hole location with a marker. I used a 1/8" drill bit. Since the bracket I am drilling is thin, I did not tap the hole for the screw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Dec 20, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    MustDrive

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Nothing major planned, this is my daily driver. - replaced stock tires with Cooper AT3s - added Husky WeatherBeater floor mats - installed Access Original bed cover - installed Gentex 453 mirror and the included external temp sensor, also has Homelink and auto-dim - installed ImMrYo mirror bracket - hose clamp mod and washer mod to secure tailgate, with a GateKeeper lock installed over the hose clamp - replaced stock reverse lights with Philips Halogen 30w from Home Depot GY6.35 base
    Before mounting the sensor I noticed the head of the supplied screw was barely larger than the hole in the sensor, so I added my own washer. When the screw was halfway in, I dripped some red loctite onto it and screwed it in the rest of the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To get the wires through the firewall grommet, I bent an old coat hanger 180 degrees to make a doubled "hoop" and pushed it through from the cab into the engine compartment. It took some effort. When it was nearly through, I went under the hood, found the area of the grommet it was trying to penetrate through, and helped it with a knife.

[​IMG]

I put the temp sensor wires through the "hoop" at the end of the coat hanger, then pulled from in the cab until the wires came through and were laying on the floor, ready to be connected to the mirror wires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wires under the hood were protected in plastic right up to the firewall grommet, the length of the supplied harness was perfect.
    [​IMG]

I used zip ties to attach the temp sensor wire to the hood release cable and to a few other supports along its route under the hood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRDSport10 likes this.
  3. Dec 20, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    MustDrive

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I dropped the overhead console by removing the screw in the rear sunglass holder and popping the front connectors down. The factory wiring plug for the mirror was easy to find.
    IMG_8705-DroppedOverheadConsole_9ee637c1bb71d9ad7e2b81408bdb7e83c453a76a.jpg

The factory plug appeared to not fit the connector supplied with my mirror. I discovered the factory plug has a cover over it, and after removing that it fit perfectly.

IMG_8708-CoverOverFactoryPlug-makesMirro_77c10386072386e3c8e86d7d8ea28a6c7dec48df.jpg

IMG_8709-CoverRemovedFromFactoryPlug_b561d9ce4358e1933a039d31080c5d555638884b.jpg

I ran the temp sensor wire from the mirror along the very front edge of the headliner to the A-pillar. I was able to pull down the very front edge of the headliner anywhere I needed to find the end of the wire and assist it along (you cannot push on a rope, or a thin wire). I removed the A-pillar trim and ran the wire down to the opening in the dash.

IMG_8714-TempSensorWires-WrappedAroundFa_1d204b93970267a5c2d079f191d6d21cf796b8db.jpg

I placed my light on the floor shining up into the left side of dash. This helped me see how to run the wire down from the A-pillar to the floor area.

IMG_8712-LightFromBelowDash-HelpsRunWire_39604f15fee31f36447af8808dbe3fc34856887a.jpg

I am a bit old school, so I soldered the wires and protected them with heat shrink. They are not polarized, any wire from the mirror end can be connected to any wire from the temp sensor end.

IMG_8717-TempSensorWires-ReadyForSolderi_da8a44e7cb842c06ef1abdd7d00a40dce97f4321.jpg

That's it. Here is the "Before" picture - the stock mirror in its stock location.
    IMG_8702-OldMirror-BeforeImMrYoBracket_fff35a1d87c049d4d03c0255a332b8d3c315de12.jpg

The "After" picture - the Gentex 453 on the ImMrYo bracket. I REALLY like the new, higher location, it gives much better visibility under the mirror. This is a great bracket, and a great mirror.
    IMG_8718-Mirror-AfterImMrYoBracket_d10b064470b0e5284193d0d6be7f2ddb94899d82.jpg

TRDSport10, wi_taco, stvhwrd and 7 others like this.
  4. Dec 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    good job!

5. Dec 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM
    Echodawg

Echodawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB
    Stuff and Things!
    Great writeup. I need to get one of these for my 2014, do you need to let him know its for a Tacoma or is it pretty generic?

6. Dec 21, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    One heck of a write up and install! Nice job!

That kit looks sweet.
    I bet that mirror works even better than the former limited edition mirror Toyota was providing. I used that mirror in my old truck and loved it. I found its auto dimming to be more responsive than the Toyota one I have now.

Great job man

7. Dec 21, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    Rsamani

Rsamani Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    14 DBSB O/R 4x4
    not a lot
    Tow thumbs up for a great writeup and sharing it

8. Dec 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    MustDrive

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the compliments. I learned a ton from this site researching my Tacoma purchase, and want to help others with what I've done.

Echodawg, I told him it was for a Tacoma, one of his posts on the thread I linked mentions that he found a source for the connection plug which matchs the stock Toyota plug already in the headliner. The fact that he creates a custom harness using that plug is why I decided to buy from him. I did the purchase via PM, he offered a lower price if purchased directly (vs. using ebay). He emailed me a paypal link and I paid via that method, essentially paypal via email. It was a great transaction.

His TW id is RJP869, and he is copper_z71 on ebay. I have no connection except as a happy customer.

Dave

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    TRDSport10 and dziner like this.
  9. Dec 22, 2013 at 4:51 AM
    Echodawg

Echodawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB
    Stuff and Things!
    Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Dec 22, 2013 at 5:13 AM
    DForbes

DForbes Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5
    None Yet!
    Awesome write up! Emailed Robert for price on a kit.

Thanks,

Dennis

11. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Rjp23

Rjp23 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    TRD catback exhaust, N-Fab nerf bars, Blacked out badges, Homelink Rear view mirror, Shorty antenna, AFE CAI, Redline tuning hood lifts, TRD knob shifter, JL Stealthbox, JL Amp, Hertz audio components
    1. Tacoma World forums
    2. Sweet write up
    3. With pictures!!!
    Modding my truck with Temp sensor/Auto-dim/Homelink/Compass = Priceless

dziner likes this.
  12. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    does that mirror also work for the back up camera?

13. Dec 28, 2013 at 6:01 AM
    east

east Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.E. N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Stock 4x4
    Thank you for the excellent well written install and pictures, I have been looking for a good post like this for awhile. This will definitely be on my to list shortly.

14. Dec 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    MustDrive

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I don't think so, but I am not an expert and don't know for sure.

Dave

15. Jan 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM
    WPNZ

WPNZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson Arizona
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB SR5 6MT
    Pretty sure this is just for new models with the LCD for camera in the Stereo.

Great right up, I bought a SR5 and researching how to add some new features.

16. Jan 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I was snooping around my local toyota dealership the other day and there was a '14 TRD Off Road with an auto dimming mirror. I triple checked to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

17. Jan 5, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    nealw

nealw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does the harness above the overhead console have the wire for the factory temp sensor? If not where is it located - anyone know?

18. Jan 17, 2014 at 10:12 PM
    BigE

BigE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCLB TRD sport
    check out my build page
    ^^^ was gonna ask the same thing.. shouldn't the 14's already have the factory temp sensory pre-wired for a "plug n play" type of deal? I mean it would seem like it would be twice the work to have different wiring and harnesses for different mirrors of you ask me..

19. Jan 18, 2014 at 4:21 AM
    nealw

nealw Well-Known Member

Member:
    The harness in my truck only has 3 wires; ground, constant 12v and switched 12v. I could not find any wiring for the temp.

20. Jan 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    MustDrive

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    You need to install the temp sensor which comes with the mirror, and run the wires to the mirror. The pictures I posted in this thread show that process.

The factory temp sensor is used for something else, other posts on TW describe the location it is wired into, but it is not usable for display on the mirror in a 2014, non-Limited Tacoma.

Again, see my first few posts on this thread where I show what I did on my truck. The mirror, and the temp sensor, are working great and the temps shown seem very accurate.

Dave

Products Discussed in

To Top