1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Building "Maggie"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Jetlander, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Dec 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    Jetlander

Jetlander [OP] Just trying to measure up...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    TKO Wheel w/ 35" BFG KM2, Volant CAI, Safari Snorkel, 3" lift, All-Pro Full Skid Underarmor, Chopped/Re-Routed FlowMaster Exhaust, CBI Moab 2.0 Front Bumper, DerpWerx High Clearance Rear Bumper, Rear Tire Swing Out, BAMF Sliders w/Kickouts, King Resi w/700# Coilovers on front, Total Chaos UCA's, King Long Travel with Resi's, Shock Hoops and King 2.5 Bump Stops, OME Dakar Leaf Springs mounted on All-Pro Shackle Flip w/ U-Bolt Flip, extended SS Brake Lines, DerpWerx Bedrack, 10# C02 Tank, Black Badges, Dual Optima Red Top's, Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block on custom Block mount, SuperWinch 9.5iSR Talon w/synthetic line, Prolink Thimble, 20" Rigid Dual Row LED Light Bar, Rigid Dually Floods, OTRATTW Switches, Cab Mount Chop, Cobra CB w/ 4' Firestik, Center Counsel Glock 23 mount (with plenty o' ammo!), Weathertechs, and plenty more mods to come!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here's my build. It started chaotic and with the wrong truck, but soon "Maggie" would come into existence.

Early in 2013 I finally decided to sell my 05' Ford F-350 and buy something more practical and reliable.

I had just moved to the Houston area from Washington state and because you can roll a marble across this city (it's SOOO flat), I talked myself outta the 4x4 Tacoma, which was next to mine on the lot, because of a $5000 price difference.

Well this is what I came home with. A black 2011 PreRunner.

[​IMG]

At first I was happy :D then a week later, I was sad. :( But not one to admit mistakes easily, I soldiered on with my decision. Within weeks I added 33" BFG's and a 3" Lift/Level kit from ProComp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the PreRunner showing off next to a stock Taco in a parking lot and at the beach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was very happy with the 'look', but still concerned about it only being 2wd.

Continuing with improvements, I ordered a Volant CAI with Scoop and promptly installed it. Then I had Kase of DerpWerx fabrication make me a bed rack for my eventual plans to add a RTT. He did an outstanding job with plenty of tie-downs and Hi-Lift mount. Pre and Post powder coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up to this point I hadn't done any extreme mods like snorkel and hi-clearance rear bumper because I knew in my heart the PreRunner and I weren't meant to be. So, on my very first (and last) off road experience with the PreRunner, 357sig (Dennis) and I went fishing. In order to get to the 'spot' we had to traverse several muddy areas. Well, the PreRunner didn't do so well. In areas that the 4x4's were getting through easily, I would promptly get stuck. After photos…
    Note: Thanks 357sig for pulling me out over and over again!

[​IMG]

I finally decided to right the wrong. Even though it had only been 6 short months, I decided the PreRunner had to go. The hunt was on for a reasonably priced 4x4 that I'd eventually call my own…

Fast forward to November 14, 2013. I was searching online and found a reasonable deal on a Silver 2010 DCSB 4x4 SR5 from CarMax. I immediately headed to the dealership and had a test drive. I decided it would be a good starting point for the eventual rig I wanted. CarMax wanted the PreRunner taken back to stock configuration so I purchased the 4x4, and a buddy and I swapped the lift, tires, and CAI from the PreRunner in a vacant parking lot across the street so I could trade it in.

Now to introduce you to "Maggie". Not very good photos (sorry) as I was installing the Volant the morning after I bought it. Notice it already has the tires and lift installed from the night before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  2. Dec 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    Jetlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    TKO Wheel w/ 35" BFG KM2, Volant CAI, Safari Snorkel, 3" lift, All-Pro Full Skid Underarmor, Chopped/Re-Routed FlowMaster Exhaust, CBI Moab 2.0 Front Bumper, DerpWerx High Clearance Rear Bumper, Rear Tire Swing Out, BAMF Sliders w/Kickouts, King Resi w/700# Coilovers on front, Total Chaos UCA's, King Long Travel with Resi's, Shock Hoops and King 2.5 Bump Stops, OME Dakar Leaf Springs mounted on All-Pro Shackle Flip w/ U-Bolt Flip, extended SS Brake Lines, DerpWerx Bedrack, 10# C02 Tank, Black Badges, Dual Optima Red Top's, Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block on custom Block mount, SuperWinch 9.5iSR Talon w/synthetic line, Prolink Thimble, 20" Rigid Dual Row LED Light Bar, Rigid Dually Floods, OTRATTW Switches, Cab Mount Chop, Cobra CB w/ 4' Firestik, Center Counsel Glock 23 mount (with plenty o' ammo!), Weathertechs, and plenty more mods to come!
    Finally with the truck I wanted in the driveway, it was time to get to work with all the permanent mods I wanted.

First and foremost I bought a set of Kings from another TW member.

[​IMG]

They are used but I put them on the Taco with the idea of getting them rebuilt in a year or so. I'll also probably upgrade to a 700# coil rate depending on how they handle an eventual plate bumper.

[​IMG]

Not one to put off the inevitable, I convinced my wife (much to her dismay) to buy me a snorkel for Christmas. It sat in the box about a week because we had lousy weather when it arrived. I was killing me! :goingcrazy:

Finally we had a nice weather day so it was time to pull the trigger and make my first, of many, cuts in sheet metal… :pray:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing will make you more nervous than cutting a giant hole in the side of your front fender, but after measuring and mocking up for about 2 hours, I finally built up the intestinal fortitude to go for it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The results, if I do say so myself were OUTSTANDING! :yay:
    Overall, it took about 8 hours start to finish. After doing a ton of reading online I decided to take one members advice and move the template back 1/2 inch to assist in making the connections inside the fender. In my personal opinion, I could have moved it further back by another 1/2 inch. What took so long was the connection under the fender. IT's a PITA. Way too tight to make the necessary bends and connections. If I wasn't running it to the Volant CAI it would have been much, much easier. Because the Volant sits right next to the original factory hole, the tube had to be almost perfectly straight when it entered the engine bay. On a stock setup the angle wouldn't have been so important.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. Dec 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    Jetlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Never being content, I ordered a Moab 2.0 front bumper with grill hoop from CBI and BAMF Rock Sliders w/Kickouts, on the same day I finished up the Snorkel. Now it was time to wait…

Fast forward only a week...

Since I had the front bumper ordered I started thinking about what I wanted on the rear. Singlecabguy (Kase) of DerpWerx had built my bed rack (which I love) and he had built a couple of High clearance rear bumpers. So I convinced him to let me come over so we could build a high-clearance rear bumper with a few mods to make it more practical for what I wanted. In particular, I wanted Hi-Lift jack points so if I had to lift the Taco while at an angle the jack wouldn't slide from underneath.

One last look at "Maggie's" rear end prior to being violated the next day… :devil:

[​IMG]

The day before I headed over I made the cuts for the high-clearance bumper. Again, very nerve racking… :pray:

First practice cut complete.

[​IMG]

With the picture of what I wanted in my head, I went over to Columbus, Texas and Kase and I started to work on the rear bumper. We worked from about 4 pm until 10 or so before calling it a night.

[​IMG]

Kase doing his thing!

[​IMG]

Notice I still don't even have the permanent plates yet, just paper tags. Things are moving fast. :burnrubber:

[​IMG]

This is the stage Kase and I were at when we called it quits the first night. Good progress.

The next morning Kase and I were back at it. Building the bumper sides took plenty of mockup and readjusting to make them perfect, but soon we had them right and the final touches were done. I decided to rattle can the bumper because I have future plans for a Swing-out tire carrier and didn't want to have to powder coat twice.

[​IMG]

And the final product. Once again DerpWerx knocks it outta the park!!! Thanks Kase!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  4. Dec 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    Jetlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Ten days after the High-clearance rear bumper was done I received a call from the shippers. My Moab 2.0 had arrived! I raced over there to find this beauty!

[​IMG]

Loaded it up, and it was off to get powder coat!

[​IMG]

Southern Product Finishing in Pearland, Texas did the powder coating on my DerpWerx bed rack and I was extremely pleased with the outcome, so I also had them do the front bumper as well. Jared told me it would be a week until it was finished. That was Dec 17th. On the 19th he called and told me it was ready to be picked up. Jared for the WIN!

With mipawlus (Mike) and 357sig (Dennis) helping out, we were able to get it installed that day.

Post OEM bumper.

[​IMG]

The factory bolts for the bumper stripped out too easy, so I cut them off and installed some nice Grade 8 bolts instead.

[​IMG]

Dennis making himself useful…

[​IMG]

Trying to figure out how-in-the-hell to mount the reservoirs for the Kings once the brackets for the bumper were installed.

[​IMG]

And here is where "Maggie" is today. Her and I have only been together for 5 weeks, but it's been very exciting! Things have moved along very quickly and a lot of changes have happened. I have many more mods planned for the future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  5. Dec 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    jbmccul

jbmccul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4, 2019 Audi A5, 2017 Audi Q5
    This build sucks.

6. Dec 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    jbmccul

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I kid, I kid. Truck looks awesome! Can't believe you've only had it a month

7. Dec 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    Jetlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    I had to look at the purchase papers to make sure. Seems like a lot longer considering where it's at. Bought it November 14th. Crazy.

Thanks for the compliment. Just waiting for the sliders to show up. Think I'm going to give BAMF a call tomorrow and see if I can get an ETA. I plan on going to Moab for Rock Therapy 2014 in June. Much work needs to be done!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  8. Dec 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    jbmccul

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I ordered my BAMF sliders in November and got them in May, just FYI

9. Dec 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    I love that front bumper. How much did you spend on it + shipping, not including powder coat?

10. Dec 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    Jetlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    With the grill guard it was $900, +$170 for shipping from Idaho to Texas. I'm extremely pleased with it. You'd not be disappointed.

11. Dec 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    Jetlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Well that'll work out perfect if that's the case. Moab is May 29 - June 1st. I would like to have them sooner though. :cool:

12. Dec 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    jbmccul

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Did you order weld or bolt on. The product is great but the process was a clusterfuck

13. Dec 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    Jetlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    I ordered weld on. Jerry said he would get the weld-ons out quicker.

14. Dec 22, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    imsuperjp

imsuperjp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky TRD Sport
    looks good. what size tires?

15. Dec 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    jbmccul

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's what mine ended up being

16. Dec 22, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Jetlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    They're 33"

285/75R16's

17. Dec 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    Great looking truck so far man, can't believe you've done all that in a month!

18. Dec 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    Jetlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Thanks!

It's been a crazy ride. The more I get done, the more I feel I need to do. Most likely headed to Moab for Rock Therapy 2014 at the end of May, so mods will continue at a fast pace. My bank account is starting to get angry though!

19. Dec 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    Jetlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    I know I want a CB but I don't know much about them. Looking for something I can put into the center counsel and still have room in the counsel to store things. So far I've come up with the Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio. It's small but still looks like it's functional and priced right at $50.

Any input here would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

20. Dec 24, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    Taco Guy11

Taco Guy11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Western Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
    Are you happy with your front bumper? How was the install? I'm researching bumper and kinda like how the cbi looks just want first hand opinions. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top