1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my Cooper Discoverer ATP's are noisy and shaky.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NiceGuyEddie, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Jan 4, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    NiceGuyEddie

NiceGuyEddie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    video is with the windows closed, radio off, 70mph on a semi-smooth SoCal freeway. white pavement, not terribly bumpy, but not perfectly smooth.

this is 90% of my driving.

i will re-read every post here and try to figure out that 5-ply 7-ply thing.

thank you all for the help so far

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. Jan 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    After a generous, personal phone call from dxpsman, I am going to get the wheels ride-matched before swapping to a touring tire.

I have to find a location that does that and make an appointment.

In any case, America’s Tire stands behind their tires….

Will advise,[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

3. Jan 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
  4. Jan 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    THE END

dxpsman
    , an America's Tire employee, took good care of me. a letter will be sent in the mail to his boss.

what happened is he suggested a slightly aggressive tread tire, the AT3. i thought that was a good compromise, but they were out of stock, and production has stopped. so i went down another notch as far as tread and went with the Cooper ATR.

i am happy to say that the excess vibrating is gone. there is still more noise compared to stock but i expected that. these tires have a higher pitch white noise, i suppose because the knobs in the tread are smaller.

it's entirely possible i had one ATP tire that was out of whack, so i won't knock the tires themselves.

i do wonder if part of the noise is because the tires are no longer 100% tucked inside the wheel wells. mine stick out about 1" past the flares. looks great, but i do already miss the look of the old tires. the ATRs don't look as manly as the ATPs but what can you do. overall i think the truck still looks good.

they charged me $42 for the difference in tire price, no extra charge for the TPMS rebuild kit, i am happy with that.

i am very grateful for this forum, i have learned so much!

cheers,

5. Jan 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    pittsnogled

pittsnogled I like turtles

Member:
    First Name:
    kirk
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2014TRDsport
    5100's all around with OME 884 at 0. Weathertechs, Carhartt seat covers. BFG KO2's 265/70/17. T4R SEMA wheels. 18% tint on front windows. General Springs HD 4 leaf pack, Leer 100 XR shell.
    he did you a solid favor but it seems to me you should stick with HT treads from here on out

6. Jan 11, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    what are HT treads?

i'd guess somewhere in between knobby and touring?

i put my stock rims up in the loft today, they are significantly beefier and heavier than the Method wheels. i think that may have something to do with the extra noise from the tires compared to stock.

:cool:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  7. Jan 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Tread, section width, and compound are the only things that control noise. Did they force match the tires?

8. Jan 12, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    they didn't force match, the only places that do it are about 100 miles from my house.

if i can find a facility near my house that will do it, i'll get it done if it's not particularly expensive.

9. Jan 12, 2014 at 5:14 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    Dealer, then take the receipt to that tire place to get reimbursed. You got new tires though, so I guess it doesn matter

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  10. Jan 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    tylershane17

tylershane17 Back to Back World War Champions

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northwest Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    Brushguard, Lift.
    I have the same tires. Mine were awful and I got them balanced and a front end alignment. It helped for a while but when I reach speeds of 60 or more they still have a rough feeling. Next tires I buy will be the bf goodrich all terrains.

11. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:56 PM
    dxpsman

dxpsman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport PreRunner
    AFE MACH Force-Xp 3" Cat-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust System w/Black Tips, Complete OME 3" lift, debadged, Body Armor 4x4 side steps.
    HT tread patterns are highway tread. Read: Cooper Discoverer HTP, since we're on the Cooper line throughout.

The ATR's a good tire. Keep in mind that individual setups can change the way a tire feels/sounds. Offsets, suspension, etc. all come into play.

Products Discussed in

To Top