1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio On Mod blowing fuses :-(

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2013TacoLTD, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Dec 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    2013TacoLTD

2013TacoLTD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited V6 4X2
    Radio On Mod, Complete new stereo with 10" subs, Truxedo bed cover, GT-MAT through doors and rear cab.
    I installed the radio on mod on my 2013 Taco 2 months ago and have had to replace the radio fuse 2x. The way I find this is because I lose the ability to hear the radio when the key is turned to accessory mode (1 click forward). The radio works when on because it gets power from the power windows. The fuse doe not seem to blow right away but after a week or 3? I changed the wire last time to the other sides of both fuses thinking there could be an issue there...

I posted to the mod page and got no response. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. Dec 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    scottw1

scottw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Tacoma 4x4
    Lighted 4wd dial, Sirus XM radio
    Trying to figure out what you have here. Looks like a fuse connected to two different size breakers for power, a 7.5 and 20.

Was expecting to see something like an "add a fuse" where you have the wiring coming into a "fuse box" that is then plugged into an empty fuse location on your main fuse box.

What size amp are you supposed to be running for your radio and what are you running? Check your ground too. It may not be connecting 100% of the time for some reason causing the delay in blowing a fuse.

3. Dec 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    Tlook

Tlook Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^^^ this. fuses dont wear out. there is a bad connection or damaged wires somewhere

4. Dec 24, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    2013TacoLTD

2013TacoLTD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited V6 4X2
    Radio On Mod, Complete new stereo with 10" subs, Truxedo bed cover, GT-MAT through doors and rear cab.
    The theory of the guy who did this mod is that the power windows have power after the vehicle is off, so the radio continues. The idea with the fuse in the middle of the wire is to make sure the radio does not get hit with 20 amps. I think the radio fuse is blowing from using the power window when the vehicle is in the accessory mode (key turned one click forward). I cannot prove this because these low profile fuses are hard to find locally. Autozone only carries these fuses in a pack with all other amps (so I pay $8 for 6 duses and only use 1). I have more fuses on the way (UPS is taking a long time these days) and should be able to provide more info, but am looking to see if this even should work.

Products Discussed in

To Top