Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4.0 / 6-Speed Opinions

Old 12-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
dilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud of

Marines: VMA-223
dilligaff82's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2013 trd sport 4.0 auto and it didn't really do anything for me... I now have a 2014 trd off road 4.0/manual and I LOVE it! I'm keeping this thing till it dies or I die. I'm only 31.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #22
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
I love the hell out my six speed. Only complaint is that 6th is a bit too low and the reverse is a bit too high other than that it has been amazing. I enjoy it way more than an auto and I can't see how you could possibly stall in first it's geared so low which is great for off roading and towing.

I love that lotus btw my dream set up a lotus and a taco
Old 12-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #23
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Switching out the gear oil to Redline MT-90 helped a little on my '06 6-speed, but not enough. I swear it felt like every time I shifted it would be a little different, especially at take off. I learned to drive stick on a '57 Chevy 1-ton stake bed, and that thing was more predictable and had a better feel than the Tacoma 6-speed.

For those that say the lackluster qualities of the Tacoma 6-speed is acceptable because it's a truck, you're in denial. My '77 Toyota pickup (pictured below) felt better. My '98 Ford Ranger felt better. My dad's '64 Chevy 1/2 ton feels better. My dad's '96 Chevy 3/4 ton feels better.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
A3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: once upon a time SP/4
Name: Steve
A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
For those that say the lackluster qualities of the Tacoma 6-speed is acceptable because it's a truck, you're in denial. My '77 Toyota pickup (pictured below) felt better. My '98 Ford Ranger felt better. My dad's '64 Chevy 1/2 ton feels better. My dad's '96 Chevy 3/4 ton feels better.
Not denial on my part. I've mainly driven manuals over the last 40 years and I think this one is by far one of the best in a truck for me. I've had cars that were slicker shifting but never any 50's thru 80's truck. I find in most situations I don't need to feed it any throttle as I release the clutch when starting in 1st and a lot of times I'll start in 2nd. In traffic I can run at a crawl without having to ride the clutch or brake. Everyone has their own opinion on what works better for them and this works great for me.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
TacoTrooper is on a distinguished road

Name: James
TacoTrooper's Tacoma Gallery
It's not very smooth, but still pretty fun. I bought a tacoma because I could get it in a manual. One of the last trucks left that you can actually get a manual.

Glad I bought a manual over the auto.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #26
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Cat View Post
A manual trany is fun but, the only problem is if there is ever a time you just want it in auto you still have to shift.
For that reason I went with the 5 speed auto.
Merry Christmas to you too.

There is never a time when I want it in auto...
Old 12-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #27
TacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bobby
TacoDeLaPlaya's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3umph View Post
So your saying the Elise shifts better? How can that be? They are both manuals and should shift the same, after all this is 2013 Toyota should have addressed this by now.
Yah especially since the elise has a celica engine and tranny. But it may still be a cable throttle which is the main reason that the tacoma manuals are hard to rev match and shift smoothly. I would hate the drive by wire if i didnt have an auto.

I got the 5spd bug out of me with my 99 civic si. Socal traffic with a stage 2 clutch is just not as relaxing as my auto prerunner... And i can still select a gear if need be.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #28
elguapotaco is on a distinguished road
elguapotaco's Tacoma Gallery
I wish there were an open source ECU reflash with drive by wire throttle adjustment. I started a thread about this but I was told the best option was to convert to a cable throttle. I like DBW and all the safety features it offers. I have a feeling that the factory settings are designed for what Toyota thinks most people want and/or CARB/EPA requirements. I know this was the case with my last car. I bought an open source ECU reflash which included some adjustments to the throttle sensitivity. It made a huge difference. So far I haven't found anyone doing open source ECU reflashes for the Tacoma, which is surprising considering that there are many with super chargers.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #29
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elguapotaco View Post
I wish there were an open source ECU reflash with drive by wire throttle adjustment. I started a thread about this but I was told the best option was to convert to a cable throttle. I like DBW and all the safety features it offers. I have a feeling that the factory settings are designed for what Toyota thinks most people want and/or CARB/EPA requirements. I know this was the case with my last car. I bought an open source ECU reflash which included some adjustments to the throttle sensitivity. It made a huge difference. So far I haven't found anyone doing open source ECU reflashes for the Tacoma, which is surprising considering that there are many with super chargers.
Toyota has been fighting the ecu reflashes tooth and nail.

As for the manual tranny the only major issue i've heard about is the throwout bearing going out. What steered me away from the manual is I like to offroad and even in 4lo it is EXTREMELY lacking in torque.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:31 AM   #30
Rsamani is on a distinguished road
Navy: SCPO USN (ret)
Rsamani's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3umph View Post
So your saying the Elise shifts better? How can that be? They are both manuals and should shift the same, after all this is 2013 Toyota should have addressed this by now.
Elise does not shift any better. it has a shorter throw but a more linear change in gear ratios (torque feel)
Elise has a mid engine and is a cable connected shifter and does not have that direct positive feel in shifting and feels sloppy.

Not all manual shifters are created equal
Old 12-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #31
2012SilverSport is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: NAVENG Warrant Officer
2012SilverSport's Tacoma Gallery
2012 6SPD and I love it!!! I would go with 2012 or newer if it is in the budget.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #32
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
The 6-speed is OK. I bought a 2012 4Runner with an auto and hated it. All I can say is the 6-speed in my Jeep makes the Tacoma 6-speed feel great by comparison.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #33
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's a fair assessment to say you'd be hard pressed to find a less aggravating transmission amongst the passenger cars and light trucks sold today.

It is very sensitive to fluid type and honestly doesn't perform well unless fluid thinner than its specified viscosity range is used;
It has synchronizer issues and gear grinds plague many owners;
It has a quill wear problem;
The factory clutch is prone to bad chatter in the cold and rain;
Its overdrive is way too short and its reverse is absurdly clutch-smoking tall;

Then, as if to throw flame on the fire, Toyota programmed the computer as such:
There's a delay on the throttle closing so it revs the engine with every shift;
The fuel cutoff won't happen unless the engine is spinning at least 1600 rpm before letting off the gas, after a 1-2 second delay, and it starts fuel again at 1200 rpm (contrast with the 4 cylinder's 1000-2000 rpm zero delay window)

That said, if you could put up with the transmissions of yesteryear, the six speed isn't intolerable. Just think of it as a Mack truck.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #34
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
I compare mine to driving a dump truck...wouldn't get another one. Shifts are blocky and can't be done quickly. 61k on my 09 and 5th gear syncro is going out. Trying to accelerate quickly to merge into traffic is almost impossible since you can't shift quickly.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #35
Nmwill is on a distinguished road

Name: William
Nmwill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's a perfectly mediocre setup. IMHO, Toyota really dropped the ball with the 6 speed on the Tacoma, and I've owned/driven a lot of manuals, including 2 other Toyota's. The gear ratios make no sense and even after a URD short shifter, it never was smooth or predictable, especially the 1st - 2nd shift.
This is a solid spot on answer. I love driving manual. I love my taco. The tranny... It's a solid tranny, not the smoothest fastest or most fun to drive. But not a bad tranny by any means. If you love driving stick. Get the manual. If your expecting it to be fun and sporty. I would consider something else
Old 12-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #36
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
I also agree with the above posts. This is a transmission to get if you must save the $1000 or whatever is the difference between manual and automatic AND/OR if you still prefer to shift your own gears at any cost even despite its numerous shortcomings. I got it for the second reason and don't regret it, but certainly it could be designed much better.

I don't like:
  • the rev hang
  • tall reverse and short 6th gear
  • geared are too close together (might as well skip gears)
  • worse fuel economy out of all drivetrain combinations
  • squeaky pedal (sometimes in hot summer days)
  • TOB problems, although mine is fine so far with 90k miles.

Longer throw does not bother me too much as it is a truck after all and also because it replaced my 5spd F150, so in comparision it is still feels car like, but the pedal feel is stiffer however.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #37
5vzrider00 is on a distinguished road
5vzrider00's Tacoma Gallery
So many mixed opinions haha... a manual would definitely be by choice for the fun factor. Did Toyota ever fix the "rev hang" into the next gear, or is that still an issue for quick shifting on the brand new models?
Old 12-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #38
eyebrows is one of the sharper tools in the shedeyebrows is one of the sharper tools in the shedeyebrows is one of the sharper tools in the shedeyebrows is one of the sharper tools in the shedeyebrows is one of the sharper tools in the shedeyebrows is one of the sharper tools in the shedeyebrows is one of the sharper tools in the shedeyebrows is one of the sharper tools in the shedeyebrows is one of the sharper tools in the shedeyebrows is one of the sharper tools in the shedeyebrows is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Machinery Technician
Name: Nick
eyebrows's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine! Great power for climbing hills but hums along nicely at 75. No way I'd go for an auto!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #39
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's a perfectly mediocre setup. IMHO, Toyota really dropped the ball with the 6 speed on the Tacoma, and I've owned/driven a lot of manuals, including 2 other Toyota's. The gear ratios make no sense and even after a URD short shifter, it never was smooth or predictable, especially the 1st - 2nd shift.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I highlighted the part I agree with most.

$500 1990 beater cars are WAY smoother than the 6 speed. I've never met a manual transmission I can't drive smoothly. The taco 6 speed is a pain

Anyone else have this ---- when I shift from 2nd to third, no matter how slow I do it, I can ALWAYS feel the dog teeth in the synchronizer lining up. It's like a very small grind you can feel when pushing it into third. Only on the 2-3 up shift.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #40
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I highlighted the part I agree with most.

$500 1990 beater cars are WAY smoother than the 6 speed. I've never met a manual transmission I can't drive smoothly. The taco 6 speed is a pain

Anyone else have this ---- when I shift from 2nd to third, no matter how slow I do it, I can ALWAYS feel the dog teeth in the synchronizer lining up. It's like a very small grind you can feel when pushing it into third. Only on the 2-3 up shift.
I get the grind really rarely from 2nd to 3rd. My biggest gripe is the reverse gearing really a pain the ass sometimes.