Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4.0 / 6-Speed Opinions

Old 12-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #41
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
I get a slight crunch from 1st to 2nd about half the time and a slight "clack" from 2nd to 3rd most of the time. It's always been this way. The only way for it to not do this is if I shift obnoxiously s-l-o-w-l-y.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #42
pittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to behold

Name: kirk
pittsnogled's Tacoma Gallery
I dont mind it at all. after my wrangler it drives great. Had an 03 sr5 that wasnt any better or worse for me

my biggest problem is how high it revs on initial startup. revs high while idling for a few minutes
Old 12-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #43
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseit View Post
I get the grind really rarely from 2nd to 3rd. My biggest gripe is the reverse gearing really a pain the ass sometimes.
I noticed that too. And since we don't use reverse very often, it can be hard to get used to.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #44
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 6spd. Sometimes it shifts great, other times not so smooth. First gear is definitely short, and the transition from 1st to 2nd isn't smooth unless your revving high. For several years I debated on whether I should have gone with the automatic instead of manual.

I had a loaner Tacoma for a week, and it was an automatic v6. After a week I couldn't wait to get my 6spd back, and haven't debated it since.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #45
TacoTrooper is on a distinguished road

Name: James
TacoTrooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica9000 View Post
I have the 6spd. Sometimes it shifts great, other times not so smooth. First gear is definitely short, and the transition from 1st to 2nd isn't smooth unless your revving high. For several years I debated on whether I should have gone with the automatic instead of manual.

I had a loaner Tacoma for a week, and it was an automatic v6. After a week I couldn't wait to get my 6spd back, and haven't debated it since.
I agree with everything stated above.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #47
high voltage taco has a spectacular aura abouthigh voltage taco has a spectacular aura about
high voltage taco's Tacoma Gallery
except for my last 06 tundra all I have ever owned is standard shifting trucks and 4runners. 82,86,87,88,90 v6,94 v6,2001 v6 and now my 05 v6 6 speed. I love driving this truck. Put some 33's on it and its geared just about right. After owning my 06 tundra with that same 5 speed auto I will never own another auto in my life unless I lose my left foot, right arm or if Toyota just quits making them, and then I'll just buy an older straight shift Toyota and fix it up. Mine shifts great with 130k on the clock
Old 12-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #48
M R duckcall is on a distinguished road
M R duckcall's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 6 speed I like it , I've had people ride with me and can't believe its a stick because it's so smooth . I got the pedal squeak but other than that no issues
Old 12-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #49
reece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reece13's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure by now you get a good feel what people's opinions are on the 6spd. I myself have had the 6spd with v6 and auto with v6. Each has their own quirks. Yes the 6spd can be finicky. I have to push the clutch ALL THE WAY to the floor on 1st to 2nd shifts, and it's normally not smooth, but you get used to it. some people have experienced the throw out bearing noise/issue (I haven't yet at 44k). Autos are good too. From what i have read, they were actually originally designed to hold up to Tundra engines. What it all comes down to is personal preference i think. I've always liked the idea of maintenance + maybe 1 clutch in the transmission life rather than dealing with a whole transmission taking a crap on me at 150k and having to spend 2-3 grand for a new one, just my .02. I've seen manuals go over 300k, but not any autos.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #50
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by high voltage taco View Post
except for my last 06 tundra all I have ever owned is standard shifting trucks and 4runners. 82,86,87,88,90 v6,94 v6,2001 v6 and now my 05 v6 6 speed. I love driving this truck. Put some 33's on it and its geared just about right. After owning my 06 tundra with that same 5 speed auto I will never own another auto in my life unless I lose my left foot, right arm or if Toyota just quits making them, and then I'll just buy an older straight shift Toyota and fix it up. Mine shifts great with 130k on the clock
Did you have issues with the automatic in the Tundra? Just curious since your above statement sounds pretty harsh.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #51
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
The 6-speed isn't perfect, but I don't regret buying the manual vs. the auto.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #52
high voltage taco has a spectacular aura abouthigh voltage taco has a spectacular aura about
high voltage taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
Did you have issues with the automatic in the Tundra? Just curious since your above statement sounds pretty harsh.
Nope never had a problem with tranny in the Tundra at 86k when I sold it. It shifted fine until I put 285's on it, then it could never make up its mind what gear it wanted. Going up the slightest hill it would shift down to 4th no matter how hard I tried keeping it in 5th. Every time it had to shift down I would think, man if this thing were a manual I could go to the top in 5th no problem keeping my mpg's higher. I got a consistent 13 with the 4.7. Now I got my taco 6 speed I go up the hills in 6th no problem running 285's and can gain speed to pass if I need to while never shifting down. I will say while running stock tires the tundra's auto was the best shifting auto I had ever been in, it just wasn't for me.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #53
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Just about every vehicle I've had in the last 25 years has had a manual transmission. Including 12 Toyota 4x4's.I've now had 2 second gens with autos, one 1st gen with an auto (with 260k on it on the original trans and it shifted perfect, so much for the blow up at 150k theory, maintain your junk and it lasts) and a 00 4Runner with an auto. That one's still going strong at 230k. Back in 05 I bought a brand new tacoma with a 2.7 5 speed and I loved it. A few months later my brother in law bought a 4.0/6 speed. I've driven it a lot and I think the transmission shifts like crap. I am one of those people who until needing a double cab always said I would drive a manual unless I lost a leg and couldn't shift. I dislike driving the six speed so much when it was time for a double cab I didn't even bother trying to find one with a manual. If Toyota puts a good-shifting manual in the next generation truck I would love to have one. In fact if they made a 2.7 5 speed 4x4 double cab I would have bought one back in 05.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #54
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardscrabble View Post
The 6-speed isn't perfect, but I don't regret buying the manual vs. the auto.
word.

You can cry all you like about it but the only other options for a manual truck are a nissan frontier or a dodge HD diesel AFAIK
Old 12-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #55
beondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of light

beondwacko's Tacoma Gallery
Every point that I have noticed on my 08' X-Runner was mentioned in this thread.
1st gear a little too short.
6th gear not tall enough.
A little high rpm crunch going into 5th.
A little clutch chatter in damp conditions when at ambient temp'.
No fast shifting from 1st to second,, or a little crunchy munchy.
Friggin' RPM hang up which makes smooth shifting take a week between shifts unless the A/C is on. That helps bring the revs down like a normal engine would do.

74K miles and no major issues. Orig clutch, TOB, carrier bearing, u-joints,,, just what I'd expect in a Toyota. Reliable period.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #56
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
No issues with mine but having had both personally I prefer the auto.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #57
BuddyS is on a distinguished road
BuddyS's Tacoma Gallery
All my cars, save 1, have been manuals as I just enjoy rowing the gears myself. But for the first week I had my tacoma I wondered if I made a mistake and should have gotten the auto -- off the line 1st is too short and the shifts are all notchy and hard if you rush them. Plus the auto was rated for higher mpgs...

But after a few hundred miles I got into the zen of the taco's 6-speed. Don't rush the shifts, skip gears as needed, and heck, sometimes start out in 2nd. And it's all good. It's not a sports cars, so don't try to drive it like one. I rarely ever rev the motor over 2500 rpm (and generally shift lower, around 2k) and I can get 22mpg on moderate highway trips. I figure that's about as good as I could get with the auto. And now I'm very, very happy that I have the manual... I know I'd find the auto boring and lifeless.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #58
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GT 79FJ40 View Post
Just about every vehicle I've had in the last 25 years has had a manual transmission. Including 12 Toyota 4x4's.I've now had 2 second gens with autos, one 1st gen with an auto (with 260k on it on the original trans and it shifted perfect, so much for the blow up at 150k theory, maintain your junk and it lasts) and a 00 4Runner with an auto. That one's still going strong at 230k. Back in 05 I bought a brand new tacoma with a 2.7 5 speed and I loved it. A few months later my brother in law bought a 4.0/6 speed. I've driven it a lot and I think the transmission shifts like crap. I am one of those people who until needing a double cab always said I would drive a manual unless I lost a leg and couldn't shift. I dislike driving the six speed so much when it was time for a double cab I didn't even bother trying to find one with a manual. If Toyota puts a good-shifting manual in the next generation truck I would love to have one. In fact if they made a 2.7 5 speed 4x4 double cab I would have bought one back in 05.
I would be surprised if Toyota still offers a manual transmission in a double cab and/or a V6 truck once the 3rd gen is out. Don't get me wrong, I would like them to, but seems like they are just about extinct. I can see them put a manual into a base 4 cyl 2wd, maybe 4x4 RC/AC Tacoma.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #59
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both and prefer the auto. The 6speed was fun but it had some issues. Research it. I'm not sure if Toyota has addressed the TO bearing/sleeve fix.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #60
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Get the 6 spd if you like a stick don't pay any attention to the one that say they suck they don't they just have not figured out how to drive them yet this is from some one that has been driving standards for 53 years from absolute junk to a 512 Berlinetta Boxer. The ones that say the 6 speed revs too high in 6th don’t tow anything because their automatic revers higher in 4th when its used to tow with O/D locked out because it’s shifting up and down while the rest of us cruse down the road in 6th pulling our trailers. High reverse? My old 2.7 5 spd was much worse.