Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4.0 / 6-Speed Opinions

Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #62
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Get the 6 spd if you like a stick don't pay any attention to the one that say they suck they don't they just have not figured out how to drive them yet this is from some one that has been driving standards for 53 years from absolute junk to a 512 Berlinetta Boxer. The ones that say the 6 speed revs too high in 6th donít tow anything because their automatic revers higher in 4th when its used to tow with O/D locked out because itís shifting up and down while the rest of us cruse down the road in 6th pulling our trailers. High reverse? My old 2.7 5 spd was much worse.
The newer 5 speeds have a great reverse, thankfully.
6 speed engine to rear axle ratio in reverse is 13.46:1
5 speed in six lug, 17.30:1. Wonderfully short

I put 25k miles on my six speed. In the end I could drive it very smoothly and did successfully learn how to anticipate the ECU programming. I rarely missed a gear, I finally solved the 4th gear grind with my third tranny fluid change, and honestly it had a great shift feel when I sold it. However I stand by my opinion.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #63
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
The high reverse and low 1st are perfect if you like to reverse power slide out of your driveway, ram it into 1st while you're still rolling backwards, and fishtail down the street in a cloud of tire smoke while you smash all your neighbors' garbage cans.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #64
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB1 View Post
The high reverse and low 1st are perfect if you like to reverse power slide out of your driveway, ram it into 1st while you're still rolling backwards, and fishtail down the street in a cloud of tire smoke while you smash all your neighbors' garbage cans.
Doesn't everyone do this?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #65
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I lol'd a little more than I should have at this.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #66
Roundarc is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoundarc is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoundarc is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoundarc is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoundarc is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoundarc is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoundarc is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoundarc is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoundarc is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoundarc is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoundarc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allan
Roundarc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You'll need the Dixie Air Horn setup to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D. View Post
Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #67
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaawwwww!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #68
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
If you haven't driven the 6 speed, drive it. Only way to tell if you're gonna like it.

This. I drove Toyota manuals (first a Celica then a 4Runner) for 21 years. Was sure I'd get a stick in my Taco, but I hated the 6-speed. This is the first auto I've ever owned and I love it, especially off road and in snow. I had no idea what I was missing. Don't think I'll ever go back to a stick in a truck. Subaru's still a stick though.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #69
SixD7 is on a distinguished road
SixD7's Tacoma Gallery
So much of this like most things are personal preference. I have the TRD Quicksfter and it didn't take much getting use to. I thoroughly enjoy shifting and the purist experience but it's not for everyone.

IMHO this is the best manual trans in a truck including the wrangler.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:55 AM   #70
FishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FishaRnekEd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I am still snickering at this. thanks for making me shart on my miller lite pjama pants...
Old 01-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #71
Banana Nut
TheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheMuffinMan's Tacoma Gallery
Narrow gearbox, but it's not horrible. After putting a few thousand miles on mine the shifting is a bit smoother than when I picked it up new.

You can't shift as quick as some cars but it's definitely not clunky like most truck gearboxes I've driven; I really think it's a nice blend between truck and car feel but I also didn't have any expectations going in. I also think it shifts far better then the Frontier's gearbox.

Oh and the high reverse and low first don't really bother me. The first gear on my last car, a 2005 Audi A4 felt relatively lower then the Taco.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #72
catsman50 is on a distinguished road
catsman50's Tacoma Gallery
I've got an 08 access cab 2wd 6 speed and I definitly agree with everyone on the rev hang and clunking but with that said its a great setup. It takes some time getting use to everything, and rev matching is still a little difficult for me after 5k miles of driving it but for a truck tranny it's one of the best trannys I've driven
Old 01-20-2014, 06:56 AM   #73
LoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud of
LoneCynic's Tacoma Gallery
Get whichever transmission you prefer to drive. Both are solid in this truck. I have the six speed in mine, and have had no major issues with it. Does it have a bit of a learning curve compared other vehicles? Yes, it does, but I can save you some time right now. The trick is learning a new clutch release motion, from the floor, bring it out slowly about 1/3 of the way, and then quickly out the rest of the way as you give it throttle. After a couple weeks of this, it will become second nature, and you'll make smooth shifts once you learn the slightly different than other manuals transition it requires.

Are the gears very close in ratio? Yes, you shift from 1st to 2nd almost immediately, the rest are closer than usual as well. If you have the tow package, I think they are closer even more. It just means the optimal RPMs are at 2500 in each gear, rather than aiming for 2000 like in other manual vehicles.

Of all the "issues" that exist, the only one I have encountered is the clutch squeak in hot temperatures. You ask a question on an internet forum, and you'll get loads of opinions. You'll get better informed opinions here, no doubt about that, but I think overall you'll find that both transmissions are solid choices. Go with what you prefer, drive it the way it was meant to be driven, and keep up with maintenance, and you'll be fine either way.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #74
deerlane is on a distinguished road

Name: Bob
deerlane's Tacoma Gallery
If I was going to buy another Tacoma, I would not change a thing. 2008, 4.0 with 6 speed.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #75
33yrsoftoys is on a distinguished road
Name: joel
33yrsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
I found the 4.0 6 speed fun to drive. I've owned Toyota trucks with manuals since 1981, my first one with the (new) 5 speed that was introduced mid model year. The new ones far exceed those early ones, but were still fun to drive. As far as learning to drive (with) the ecu, just slightly back off the gas a 1/4 second or so before you depress the clutch to shift. That helps. If you like the direct connection feeling of a manual, then don't be afraid of this one. Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #76
LazyLightning is on a distinguished road
LazyLightning's Tacoma Gallery
Manual 100%

I thought I wanted an automatic, till I drove the manual. I couldn't imagine owning an automatic truck. I like being in control of the RPM's and not having to ride the brakes as much on down hill. I like manual for snow driving. Where is there a discussion on RPM's and when to switch gears?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #77
Tatanka is on a distinguished road

Tatanka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACK View Post
It's great once you 1) get used to it and 2) accept that it isn't perfect.
This is true. Definitely shifts better around 2500-2700 rpm, as opposed to 2000 rpm (which is where I instinctively want to shift). It does take some getting used to, but I wouldn't trade it.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #78
foxhead is a name known to allfoxhead is a name known to allfoxhead is a name known to allfoxhead is a name known to allfoxhead is a name known to allfoxhead is a name known to all

Name: Andrew
foxhead's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a 4.0 automatic to a 4.0 manual and love the change. I'd do it all over again in a heart beat
Old 03-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #80
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by egres View Post
What is "rev hang?"
When changing the gears the engine continues to hold a high rpm instead of dropping after letting off the gas pedal. When I had the 6 speed this happened for a little after I bought it. After having it for a while it seemed to stop doing it. The rpms would drop normally.