1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7L 4cyl truck slide in camper?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by angelocardoc, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jan 16, 2014 at 6:14 AM
    BruceDog

BruceDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Leather
    Not sure whether the 1100 lbs is dry weight or wet. Add some water, propane, supplies, people etc. and you could be over the limit pretty quickly.

2. Jan 16, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    angelocardoc

angelocardoc [OP] New Member

Member:
    I would like to thank everyone who responded to my query.
    Firstly;
    I took a 4cyl Taco for a test drive and found that the engine is too small to load it up the way I want to. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a thirsty engine, or I'll be regretting it later. I've started looking at 1st gen Tundras. 4x4 with the 4.7L V8. A little bit bigger, but not a true full-size.
    Second;
    Truck campers are good because your not towing. Turning around with a trailer in the woods or on a trail can be tricky sometimes.
    But!
    A pop up tent trailer is waaaay more convenient, comfortable and sleeps more people.
    Dismount at the camp site and use the vehicle to explore.
    So...instead of having the camper in the bed and towing my 2 dirt bikes on my trailer, I'll put the dirt bikes in the bed and tow a pop-up.
    So...The search is still on.
    1. Truck
    2. Pop-up camper

3. Jan 17, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    BruceDog

BruceDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Leather
    Good luck. Definitely post some picks of your set up when you get it.

4. Jan 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    evan

evan Well-Known Member

Member:
    SK, Canada
    If you can find one that sleeps the number you need I've found samller traditional trailers to be more convenient than pop-ups. Especially if you have kids. It means if they get cranky you can pull over at a rest stop or gas station and use your camper to cook food or chill out for a few minutes and then get back on the road. Pop-ups require too much setup to be used in that way.

5. Jan 20, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    glhsracer

glhsracer Life is good.

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    I have done just what you are talking about. I have a 2008 Reg Cab 4x4 with a Travel Lite 690 FD hard sided truck camper. This camper is made just for this and other mid size trucks, it weighs 1100 lbs empty. I installed Firestone Air Bags (is very common, even in full size trucks) to level the truck, a set of Hellwig Overload springs to manage the load and a Hellwig rear sway bar. I use frame mounted tie downs to secure the camper. I have had no problems and still pull a trailer at times with the camper in place.

I won't say the truck doesn't feel it but it is not overweight and actually has more power than some full size pickups with 1500 lb campers that I went camping with earlier this year, I had to wait for them to catch up. I think the manual trans helps along with the lower 4x4 gearing. It is a great boondocking rig. I added solar panels and a 2000 watt inverter to stay out for extended periods, it's great. I can send you pictures of the rig from my other computer. Good luck.

6. Jan 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    Kinderliving

Kinderliving Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4L MT
    Rancho Quicklift Fabtech AAL
    So I am planning to get a Cab over camper for my 99, I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for add a leaf springs and mounting options for them...any input helps :)

7. Apr 20, 2022 at 10:42 AM
    Profloundering

Profloundering Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCLBOR
    RideRite airbags
    2015 SR5 manual 4cyl 4x4 ACLB - loved this rig!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JGO and BassAckwards like this.
  8. Apr 20, 2022 at 11:38 AM
    roundhouse

roundhouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DCLB 4X4
    Firestone Ride-Rites, Leer 180 cap, custom box anchors
    Used this setup in both my 2009 and my current 2013, DCLB, V6 auto, tow package. I did add RideRite air bags. I've taken it through the mountains and it works, not sure I'd want to go far with this setup in a 4 cyl. The 1990 Scamper was built for small trucks. I've built a system to hold it and mount it via steel clips on the bed bolts. It fits with the tailgate closed (so I have full use of the stock backup camera).

JGO likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top