Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How Long Did Your OEM Battery Last?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
jcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Buck
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
How Long Did Your OEM Battery Last?

Just wondering if I should plan on replacing the battery of my 2011 Taco before a trip that I have planned in 2015. The OEM battery will be about 4.5 years old then.

I normally drive with the headlights on during the day, if that makes a difference.

I want to get full use out of it, but I don't want to have to deal with replacing it on the road.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Voos will become famous soon enough

Name: Eric
Voos's Tacoma Gallery
The OEM battery in my '09DC lasted just barely over a year. Better safe than sorry.

Personally, I think 5 years is a pretty hopeful let alone 8. Get yourself an AGM battery and you can stop worrying!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
I still have OEM from 2007
Old 12-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Voos will become famous soon enough

Name: Eric
Voos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeandkanoa View Post
I still have OEM from 2007
Time for a new one
Old 12-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Mine lasted 4.5 years. The warm weather is what kills them, not the cold. I replaced when it was obvious the starter was barely getting enough juice to turn over.

Some batteries fade out, some quit instantly, it's impossible to tell.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
jcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Buck
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
Mine lasted 4.5 years. The warm weather is what kills them, not the cold.
I guess the guy from Calgary with the 2007 original would agree with you....
Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
RogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Deputy Chief
RogerRZ's Tacoma Gallery
Changed mine today. 33 months, 83k miles.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
Old Guy...In a Kids Truck
2012sporttrd is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
2012sporttrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRZ View Post
Changed mine today. 33 months, 83k miles.
Mine went dead yesterday.....26 months after I bought it. It went bad suddenly, only putting out 9 volts with engine running. and would not take a charge Alternator checked out good. So I bought an Interstate Battery 6 year Battery with 30 months totally free replacement and bit the bullet... 37,000 miles on the Taco
Old 01-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
moe1967 is on a distinguished road
moe1967's Tacoma Gallery
One on my 04 4Runner lasted 9 years. yes, thats not a typo, 9 years.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
First Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
First Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman01 View Post
Just wondering if I should plan on replacing the battery of my 2011 Taco before a trip that I have planned in 2015. The OEM battery will be about 4.5 years old then.

I normally drive with the headlights on during the day, if that makes a difference.

I want to get full use out of it, but I don't want to have to deal with replacing it on the road.
3 years almost to the day, From purchase so maybe 3 and 1/2 years!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Id say your answer is right here Baddest AGM battery available

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...old-downs.html

Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #15
L J will become famous soon enoughL J will become famous soon enough

L J's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the towing package so it's the big battery. Going on 103k and 7 years. Still cranks just as good as the day I bought it. Every time I've had a battery die it has happened without any warning. Starts fine then bang it's dead. This is the longest any battery in any vehicle I've owned has lasted. I've heard you can't get the OEM battery. Anybody know if that's true cause when the time comes it would be great to get another one. Also I may be wrong but i thought AGM was more of an advantage for extreme conditions like vibration and heat not lifespan under average conditions.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #16
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
3-4 years are when all three of my new Tacomas (2001, 2005, 2010) needed batteries replaced. Just one time leaving a map light on overnight, accidentally (they don't shut off when you remove the keys) can drain it and it never fully recovers after recharging.

Nothing sucks more to be out camping and the battery is dead (and it's an automatic)!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #17
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
2006 on original battery.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #18
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Mine died at about 25k miles.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #19
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
2006 with 63k miles, still on the factory battery. I can tell im pushing it though, there have been a few slow starts in the last 3 weeks especially during these cold snaps.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #20
Breaking DB Stereotypes
RadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadTaco914 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NEIL
RadTaco914's Tacoma Gallery
My last tacoma 08' w/ 100k crapped out finally..Replaced it with a Optima