1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got stuck in the mud... Submerged some stuff... Now I need help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by goufcustom, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Dec 31, 2013 at 5:16 AM
    goufcustom

goufcustom [OP] 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    Went off-roading in the rain, and got stuck bad, basically it looked shallow before I went in, and I had gone through something just like it about 5 mins before and had no issues, but the second one was trouble. Made it half way, and then dug in... :mad: Tried a tow strap to another 4x4 and still nothing, in the end a chain and come along got me out. I had it in 4x4 Lo, with the rear locked. FYI- I have a TRD Off Road, with 33" Mud Tires, and 4x4, it is a 2006 with 125k miles, Automatic, and almost all original. When I got into the hole, water was about half way up my wheels, and by the time I got out it was about 1/2" below the cab of my truck. Upside is no water got inside my truck, but I sat in the mud/water for about 45 mins, spinning my wheels, and trying to get out. I reversed out as well, not sure if that is better or worse than going forward, but my truck had better access going in reverse. Also, this was NJ, so the rain water was in the high 30s, not freezing, but very cold, and I left the truck running the entire time I was stuck, was afraid it wouldn't start if I turned if off. Also, I did the rear diff breather mod a long time ago.

032E2CFB-E356-46F6-A88F-46A1B0A3D544_zps_16430012f650a6fba2a9f7eb09a0388b64ad5947.jpg

I got out and got it to my father-in-laws house, about a 15 min drive, and everything looked fine. Saw a small oil spot on the driveway, but he convinced me it was from the UPS truck that leaks like crazy. So I drove it back to my place, 230 miles away, no issues the entire drive, but I came out to 4 small oil spots in my driveway, and proceeded to remove my skids to find oil everywhere... :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is oil coming out of both the oil and trans pans, as well as where the axels come out of the front diff, and where the main drive shaft goes into the rear diff. I also saw some that looks like it is coming from the rear brake line where is goes into the drum on one side.

It is parked now, and I am draining and replacing all the fluids (engine oil, diffs, trans case, brake lines, trans). I am also looking into replacing the gaskets on the oil and trans pan. Also, going to re-grease my driveshafts. I already hosed down the truck, and plan to re-clean it once I get all the fluids changed.

What else needs to be done or checked?

Is this a loss, or should I be fine once I swap the fluids? Might be a back to stock for trade in thread getting started soon... :(

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. Dec 31, 2013 at 5:21 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Not sure how 1 mud hole caused you to have several leaks, I think those leaks were there before the mud hole. I've had 6" of muddy water in my cab and no leaks from any drive train component. If it's leaking on the 3rd member in the rear axle, I would drain the fluid and replace the gasket, also it could be leaking from the breather, did you do a diff breather mod? Not sure where it's leaking from the front, more pics would help.

3. Dec 31, 2013 at 5:22 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Up front it looks to me like your oil pan gasket is shot. That's a fairly easy fix.

4. Dec 31, 2013 at 5:35 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    That sucks. :(
    I don't have any input on the leaky engine (at least not good input; I've seen aluminum and cast iron blocks crack when you dunk a hot block into an ice cold puddle) but I wouldn't be surprised if you had water leaking past the axle seals while you were submerged. Did you already do the fluid drain on the diffs? Because I wouldn't be surprised if you found a bit of water in there with the oil. Maybe drain & fill, drive it a bit and drain & fill again...

You didn't mention beating on it at any point, and from the photos in the post it doesn't look like you were giving it the gas like a crazy man to break parts...
    Hopefully some new fluids and a couple new gaskets should fix your problem.
    Is it possible that it was leaking oil from the pan before you got stuck, and that you just hadn't noticed it? Not sure how often you get under your truck, is all.

5. Dec 31, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Looks like the oil is coming from above like the right hand valve cover been leaking for quite awhile too.

6. Dec 31, 2013 at 6:13 AM
    goufcustom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    Diff breather mod was done before I got in this hole. Looks like the rear diff is leaking around the e-locker.

Plan to replace that this week.

I spun the tires hard and fast a few times, but they just spun, they never gripped to a thing, and when I got winched out, I went super slow.

I will check that today, I have to work, so I am taking my wifes car and going to get back into it tonight.

I get under it often, I have never had any leak except for around my transmission pan, and it ended up that the bolts that hold the pan on had come loose on one side, so it leaked, I tightened them back up and the leak went away completely. I changed the diff oil recently, and the engine oil I changed about 4 months ago and no leak. I also have a brand new house, so brand new concrete, and park in the same spot, the asme direction every day, and have never seen oil spots from my truck. So sadly, I am almost sure this is from going in the water...

My theory is that a hot diff/oil/trans into cold water, caused the seals to give with the temperature difference on either side.

I have drained my diffs and oil, and the oil looked black, but I couldn't see any water. The diffs were also black with a medium gray swirling in them, not sure if that is the water or not...

I will take more picture tonight, thanks for the help.

7. Dec 31, 2013 at 6:34 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I used to play in the mud when I was younger all the time. But I got tired of cleaning it out of everything. Those oil leaks were already there, spinning in the mud didn't cause them I can assure you. But I would drain the diffs and refill just for good measure. It's likely fine but it's a good idea to drain and refill the t-case while you're there too. Draining the transmission is only going to net you about 3.5 quarts of like 14 in the system but it's never going to hurt it getting fresh fluid in there. Just make sure you refill it properly.

8. Dec 31, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    The gray oil is from water. The paler the gray, the more water in the oil.

9. Dec 31, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Check your motor mounts. I had a leak that blew oil all over the place just like that, and it ended up being the oil pan right above the front diff. The motor mounts smashed in so bad that the motor was sitting on the front diff. You can see from the pics where it was rubbing at...

6431ad61_1d316006ed47e63e7ae5849f9596d7fed1a64ebe.jpg

b458ba82_94370764b39f3c2587b4f9901bbff42c9d0d4e40.jpg

10. Dec 31, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    goufcustom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    So how hard is it to change the transmission oil pan gasket?

I was able to get the engine oil pan gasket and trans oil pan gaskets at Advance auto today.

How hard is it to change the main seal on the rear diff? If I pull the third member out, it there any issue just putting it back with a new gasket?

11. Dec 31, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    I'll bet ya a box of beer that is all from one leak, and I also bet it is from the motor. Pressure wash it clean then let it idle for a while. When you drive fast oil will spray all over the place and it will be hard to find where it's coming from. Also baby powder will help locate the leak, just pour some in your hand and throw it around the area you think is leaking. It will clearly show a fresh leak....

12. Dec 31, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Whenever I replace gaskets I like to use some RTV sealant on both surfaces as well. Make sure you clean both surfaces well, otherwise it'll just start weeping again in a while.

13. Dec 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    You need a new flange...and a gasket....and a doohickee.
    I think the oil issues may have been there all along and just noticed it due to this incident. Either way, hope it gets fixed op.

14. Dec 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    This would be my bet too.

15. Dec 31, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northside of Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma BAJA T/X dcsb
    Weathertech floor mats, Go Rhino Dominator II step bars, EGR in channel ventshades, homemade spare tire bed rack, hitch step, K&N air filter and cabin air filter, 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac's, Phillips LED headlights, Yellow Jacket yellow foglights, led back up lights, Mobtown tailgate stiffener, Wheeler's 3 leaf add a leaf, Firestone ride rite airbags, Bentrodders bed reinforcement stiffeners, PIAA windshield wipers
    The oil that is blown all over the under carriage is from the engine (looks like the oil pan and the valve cover from picture but check the entire engine). Follow the above suggested ideas and I would also replace the axle shaft seals as well, check all the engine pulleys (remove serpentine belt) for play and hesitation to turn freely. Mud, sand and dirty water have a way of reeking havoc on bearings and seals (dries them out so they don't work properly anymore).

I've had to replace many seals, bearings and pulleys due to river crossings and mud holes. You say it's also leaking from the tube that goes into the drum backing plate, this could be either brake fluid (highly doubt it or you'd have a loss of fluid after driving that much) or rear diff fluid coming from the axle tube (likely suspect) especially with that many miles and the fact that you're from the northeast and most wheelin' involves mud holes at some point.

All these repairs are fairly simple but will be costly if not taken care of routinely.

16. Dec 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes,
    MightnightRebel07, is spot on; follow his instructions.

I can only add: Be sure you don't have a leak higher on the engine. In fact double check it before you do any repairs. Get an adjustable mirror and check the back of the valve covers. Take a good look at the back of the engine, just to be sure.

You don't want to do a pan gasket replacement, just to find the oil pressure sending unit was leaking, or anything else.

oldracer

17. Dec 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    fixnfly

fixnfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    S.W.PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access cab 4.0 4WD
    That truck is amazingly clean for just getting out of a mud hole. Even the backs of the tires are clean.

18. Dec 31, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    I saw that also. Mud like that really sticks to metal, especially, metal that isn't painted ans clear-coated like the body finish on our trucks.

We ran dirt Sprint Cars and other classes on the dirt also. The dirt and mud if it was wet; just stuck and stained the undercarriage. You couldn't just wash it off, even scrubbing it, the stain was still there.

We did coat the undercarriage sometimes with vegetable oil spray, (cheaper than WD40); which really helped a lot.

I'm just amazed how clean it is.

19. Dec 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    goufcustom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    I think it was all the water I was sitting in, I did find tons of sand on all my skid plates, but you are correct, the truck looks clean, but it was mostly sand I was in, and water, nothing really stuck.

I did nothing today, plan to get back to it tomorrow. Plan to check the valve covers, clean more, and start filling up the diffs and engine oil.

My wife has started to look for new cars for me... I think she is thinking of getting it driving again and then getting me to get a higher mpg sedan.

20. Dec 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    goufcustom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    Thanks, I will spend the first part of tomorrow looking all over again with a flashlight and mirror. I hope it is simple.

Looking at that now, parts look cheap, job looks easy, but time consuming.

Thanks,

My biggest concern at the moment is water in the trans, and future damage to the trans, and maybe that is paranoia, or just the fact that auto trans scare me more than manual trans. Then it is just seals on the diffs, and they could have gone from this incident or from old age, and they are a pain to fix but low cost overall, and not beyond my mechanical means.

Products Discussed in

To Top