1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Horrible gas mileage in sub zero temperatures

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 03f5sp, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Jan 1, 2014 at 3:55 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    I found this article which gives some reasons for lower MPG's in cold weather. I still disagree with the idea that cold weather makes the engine run richer after warm up. It does not. If you notice the article does not suggest such either after warm up. It still maintains the same ratio but you get a larger explosion in the cylinder because the cold air can expand greater than hot air. While colder air will be denser and the system might compensate, depending on the manufacturer, by increasing the gas it does not lower MPG because it is still running the same ratio. It just takes less applied throttle to go the same distance because the combustion is greater. At best it is a wash, not a hindrance.

All the things mentioned in the article are correct as well as the person's driving habits changing because they want to get in out of the cold so they drive more aggressively. I would point out that for about every 33 amps of draw on the electrical system it takes an added 1HP to run the alternator. 66 amps and 2 HP and so on. Also in cold temps the battery loses its charge quicker and that means the alternator has to work longer and harder after start up to bring the battery back to full charge. Another thing because we are running our lights longer and using our heater on higher settings more gas is used. I have a Corolla with electric deicer on the real window. When you first start the engine and it is idling and I turn the deicer on you can actually hear the engine labor from the added electrical draw.
    I would also point out the fact that a vehicle is more than a year old the sensors are not working like they did when new. Also the thermostat may have weakened and may not be bringing the engine temp up to where it should be which changes the fuel mixture. I posted an earlier article on that.
    http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm
    http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/119773-fuel-mileage.html

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. Jan 1, 2014 at 4:01 AM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    Good article, that makes a lot of sense

3. Jan 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM
    Balien

Balien Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma auto, long box in red
    lighted 4x4 switch, python alarm/starter, weather tech matts, bug and rock deflector, , kuda cell phone mount in matched grey. DMV2 Tires, Bilstein 5100 lift, Icon RXT leafs. Sprayed the frame with Rust Check All the time.
    Our trucks automatically turns on the a/c compressor for de-humidification of fog on windows. If you turn to anything other than defrost the MPGS go way up. I wish like other cars we could tap the Ac button to shut this feature off.

4. Jan 7, 2014 at 7:12 AM
    savedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I have seen this claim before and it is not exactly correct. First off 134a refrigerant, which is used in our vehicles today, has the formula CH2FCF3, and a boiling point of −26.3 °C (−15.34 °F) at atmospheric pressure. That means that if the outside temperature goes below the boiling point the refrigerant in the cooling system is no longer gas/liquid, but totally liquid. If the system came on when there was nothing but a liquid it would destroy the compressor. Our systems have a thermo-limit switch that will not allow the system to come on after a certain drop in outside temperature so as to protect the system. I am not sure what the thermo limiter is set at but it is most likely somewhere around 35 or 45 degrees F above 0 degree F.
    This morning it was 15 degree F outside and I started my truck and tried to turn the air on and it would not engage the compressor which is how it is suppose to work to protect the compressor. I also turned on the defroster and the same thing, no compressor. So using the defroster in cold temps does not use more gas except for the amount of electric being used which causes more pull on the engine to run the alternator.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  5. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    if you leave it idling, that's not going to help

the other thing is, it will also idle higher until the cats warm up

6. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    smuggiesrider

smuggiesrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Off-Road DCSB AT
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    Do you use synthetic oil ?
    That will help engine runs smoother on startup or short trips when your engine hasent had time to fully warm.
    I also find 93 octane helps a bit.
    But don't expect better than 12-14 mpg in these conditions, in my experience at least.

7. Jan 31, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    degu2000

degu2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does anyone have experience with changing differential fluids to synthetic and winter mileage? It's consistently below 0 for a few months in a row here and I get anywhere from 10-12 MPG in the winter time. I attribute a decent amount of that to warming times but I still feel like it is rather low. I have noticed that even when driving in 2WD the truck has a hard time coasting (loses speed rapidly without using the throttle).

I run synthetic motor oil, but have not changed the fluids in the differentials or transfer case yet (truck has 22k).

2010 4.0 DCSB

8. Jan 31, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    bubba353z

bubba353z Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Former owner of a 12 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    I'm not sure I saw it above, but don't forget about winter fuel blends giving worse mileage. I'm attributing my lower MPG's to:

Winter Fuel
    More Idling / Warm up time
    Staying in open loop longer (takes a lot longer for my TC to lockup)
    Cold oils (yes synthetics help)

I don't know if it's ever been studied - but since cold air is denser, how much more effort does it take to push the truck through the air???

9. Jan 31, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    When I lived in Alaska, there were power outlets in all the base housing parking lots and a lot of other places. This is for a reason, engine heater. Personally, if I live somewhere that it was below freezing every year, I would get one. I don't remember the company, but there I one who makes kits that include engine oil pan, trans oil pan, and a freeze plug style heaters. Using that your engine and trans will be ready to go when you start it.

10. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:11 PM
    StuckinOhio

StuckinOhio Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' v6 AC 4x4 SR5
    MPG drop significantly in the sub zero temps due to many factors:
    1) winter gas can make a 1-2 mpg difference between winter 87 and summer 93
    2) engine knocking in cold temps low rpm means its not running as efficient as it can be
    3) even though your engine is warmed up doesn't mean your trans is up to temp. rough shifts, holding gears longer increase fuel consumption.
    4) don't forget power steering pump, it draws more power from your engine to move sluggish fluids.
    5) cold temps decrease pressure in your tires. more area= more rolling resistance
    6) tire compound. the colder it gets the less the rubber wants to flex. = more rolling resistance.

the argument about colder air producing more power is correct to a point. but it is not an absolute inverse correlation. It's true down to a point of diminishing returns. Which is likely above 0 degrees F.

not sure about the aggressive driving argument... cold weather makes me drive more cautious so i don't end up in a ditch stuck in sub-zero temps for hours..... depending on weather

im sure there are other contributing factors these are just some things i noticed besides the 11mpgs i was getting

11. Feb 1, 2014 at 12:11 AM
    robm7

robm7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OR
    How long do you warm up? Idling kills my mpgs

12. Feb 1, 2014 at 1:53 AM
    RogerRZ

RogerRZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport

Of course it does. 0mpg when idling...

13. Feb 1, 2014 at 2:35 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    A couple of minutes, enough to get the oil flowing. Then start off slow, not pushing it for a mile or two. They warm up faster going down the road anyhow. Currently getting 16-16.5MPG. I get 20+ summer. I run 91 octane, 0% ethanol. Synthetic lubes, secondary air filter delete. :thumbsup:

14. Feb 1, 2014 at 3:01 AM
    RogerRZ

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport
    Oil flows in the first five seconds.

15. Feb 1, 2014 at 3:32 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Prove it.:rolleyes:

16. Feb 1, 2014 at 3:46 AM
    savedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    The oil light would be on if the oil were not flowing. In fact it does not even take 5 seconds. Just cranking the engine before it starts, starts the oil flowing. There is no need for a warm up other than personal choice. Also the valve train would be chattering like crazy and the mains and rod bearings would be gone after a few starts. If the oil was not flowing immediately it would not make any difference if you are moving or setting still the damage would happen.

For those who are getting lower MPG's because of low tempts they can use one of these which would easily pay for itself in less that a winter and for some in one month or so.
    http://www.realtruck.com/fia-winter-front-and-bug-screen/

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  17. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:54 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    This problem eventually goes away on its own when the Delphi A/C clutch comes apart like mine did :p

18. Feb 1, 2014 at 3:31 PM
    RogerRZ

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport
    The motor spins, the oil pump turns, oil circulates. I would accept any legitimate argument against this fact.

The oil pump doesn't have a clutch, does it?

19. Feb 1, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    bubba353z

bubba353z Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Former owner of a 12 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    The oil flows, just not as easily because it's "thicker" when cold - especially conventional oil. So it takes more force (I.e. drag) to pump it until it warms up and thins out.

That's one benefit to synthetic, it flows better in extreme cold.

20. Feb 1, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    RogerRZ

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport
    It is cheaper to run synthetic than to idle...

Products Discussed in

To Top