1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I feel like a spy...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dewey7015, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    If you intend on removing the roof and going off-road there is little out there that beats a wrangler for an out-of-the box rig these days. Of course unless you get a rubicon plan on some drivetrain upgrades if you decide to lift it and put larger tires on. They are still pretty crude and IMO they aren't anywhere near as durable as a Toyota. I know a lot of people who have unloaded jeeps because of major component failures well south of 100k miles. But it all depends on your needs and with maintenance and repairs anything can last as long as you want it to. Admittedly those people don't maintain their stuff.

I have had a few FJ40's and jeep guys wave at them too. Maybe they were just in awe of a real SWB 4x4.

2. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    Dewey7015

Dewey7015 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    kind of a maniac when it comes to maintenance...
    oh, i meant the buttons on the front of the steering wheel. left- step, and reset.
    right-cruise control
    asking about top right and left..
    thanks.
    and by the way, the taco felt like i was driving a rocket compared to the Jeep. I realize it is a heavier vehicle, but man..
    I think it has to do with low end torque. I am not going above 2000 rpms until at least 1000 miles, but i miss the torque of the taco!!

3. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:34 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The sport has poor gearing for the engine. The 4.10 in the Jeep even the playing filed a lot.

4. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    I have 2011 TRD Off Road access cab. V6 6 speed. Minor lift. 265s. I bought it because I wanted a truck for hunting, fishing, hauling things, and 4wd.

My old lady has a 2011 Sahara Unlimited. V6 6 speed. All stock. She bought it because she likes how they look and wanted something 4wd.

I love my truck, she's likes it. She loves her Jeep, I'm meh towards it.

The JK transmission feels like shifting a bowl of soup compared to the Toyota.

I typically shift from 1, to 2, to 4, to 6 in my truck. You can't typically skip gears in the Jeep.

You have to rev the Jeep out farther to make it go. The Tacoma has more low end grunt it feels like.

The Jeep feels underpowered compared to my truck. Might be because it has the giant 18" wheel package.

The wind noise in the Jeep is typical Jeep, even with the hard top. The roof whistles at highway speed.

The Jeep rights rougher than my Tacoma. Solid axles, 4 link, ect, which is expected.

The Jeep gets better gas mileage.

The heater in the Jeep blows 5x hotter than the Toyota.

So far, we've taken my truck on a dozen hunting trips so far and its done exactly what I've needed it to do.

We have yet to do anything like this with the Jeep, so I cant compare.

I bought my Tacoma used this summer with 45k miles on, and have put over 5k miles on it with no issues.

She bought her Jeep in the fall with 30,xxx and put a few thousand miles on it. Its left her stranded once already. She was on her way to work, when all the idiot lights started blinking and the Jeep filled up with oil smoke. She got off the road and there was oil all over the engine and ground and everywhere. I wasnt there so I'm not sure what happened other than what she relayed back to me from what the dealership told her - Apparently the oil filter cracked??

I dunno. The Jeep works perfect for what she needs. She drives it on the highway to work and around town.

:beer:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  5. Jan 2, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The 2011 JK's have the mini van v6, and the 4 speed auto tranny. Both known for longevity, but slower than shit.

6. Jan 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM
    Silence9

Silence9 Solve et Coagula

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    I like to wave at fellow Tacoma owners in my area too. It's like a high five for having good taste.

Hope you enjoy your Jeep.

7. Jan 3, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Thats how it is the VW world. Typically the actual enthusiasts wave to each other, while the idiot dubber/scene kids typically wave with a shocker symbol or a peace sign. I like to flick the latter ones off.

Good to know. I'm really not looking forward to ever working on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top