1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Transmission

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RBaptist, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Jan 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM
    RBaptist

RBaptist [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport - Magnetic Grey
    Well,
    so thought I'd post this to give other folks a heads up. I have a 2007 4cyl SR5 Prerunner AccessCab (manual). I was getting some odd noise out of the transmission in neutral with the clutch released. On take-off, the truck would occasionally (hop/ chatter?) - really weird stuff. Read the forums and saw some of the posts on other people having weird noises from their manual. This has been going on for quite a while now, but I've learned to live with it. I figured the clutch was starting to show its age:

So the truck now has 165K on it and I decided to get a new clutch, throw-out bearings, etc, etc - and replace the rear main seal as well. Price for all of that was quoted as $1100. They also agreed to do the 160K service and give me a loaner....not a horrible deal. Wish I had time to do it myself - but I don't, so I went with it. Then the call came.... I went down there to look for myself. The Pilot bearing on the input shaft had seized and basically eroded the shaft nearly 1/4 of the way through. Spinning the main shaft in the transmission With it off the truck showed that the rest of the bearings in the still sealed transmission are suspect as well. To re-build was $2400 assuming nothing else was busted (gears, synchros, etc) or go new ($3300). I went new (still not sure if I am regretting that choice) given that I plan to keep the truck another 4 years. SUCKS though - I don't have time to hunt around for a used one or a re-built or have them put it all back together (at a labor cost of about $300) so I can haul it somewhere else....guess I made the right call for my situation - but still.

Anyone else see this happen before? Can't imagine how that would happen unless it was a faulty bearing?

2. Jan 1, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    That's disconcerting. I'd already figured if I keep this truck long enough to need a clutch that I'd hunt up a used tranny anyways since mine is a bit noisy. This is just another apple in that basket.

3. Jan 1, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
  4. Jan 4, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    RBaptist

RBaptist [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport - Magnetic Grey
    I hear ya on the used, problem was time and place to work on it if I did it myself (which I have never done a trans). $3300 included New Manual trans (and all new innards), New clutch/forks/bearings/flywheel, New rear main seal, (seat belt recall - free...but still), rear diff service... and a loaner. I probably could have figured out how to do it all from the forum and a Hayes manual, but I'd have been out of commission for a month looking/waiting for parts and just figuring it all out given my work schedule.

But you are right - it kills me to have to pay that much to get it done.

Got it back today and it drives like it did when I brought it home on day 1. No funny noises, clanking, chattering, hopping on starts, etc. Only worry is if the pilot bearings are crap from Toyota. WILL NOT do this again. I'll sell it for scrap before I pay for another one....

5. Jan 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    OK, that makes a lot more sense. When I read your first post I just assumed it was $3300 for the new transmission by itself (and you know what happens when you assume). But with the new clutch & flywheel, new rear main seal, installation and a loaner vehicle, that is a very fair price. Plus you have a brand new transmission and not a used one with an unknown history. The pilot shaft/throwout bearing issue is much more common on the 6 speed manuals so I think you'll be fine.

6. Jan 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I bought a used 5 speed trans for my 2.7L, well actually 2, both were garbage.

If your planning on keeping it long term, buy a NEW one!

Won't do that shit again.

Products Discussed in

To Top