1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AAMCO Transmission Flush. Good or Bad?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BrettinVA, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    BrettinVA

BrettinVA [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road
    Want to get the tranny fluid flushed in 2008 Tacoma v6. Dealer quotes a $300 fee, AAMCO states $99. Any thoughts on the difference. I had AAMCO rebuild a Ford Tranny many years ago, and everything ran smoothly. But, that is my only experience with them.

2. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You need to run a specific type of tranny fluid, don't let them just flush with any old ATF or you'll have issues. That's part of the reason the dealership is more money.

3. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM
    JTrean

JTrean Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anything other than OEM tranny fluid is a bad idea in my opinion. I would never pay for a trans "flush". Have your dealer replace your fluid.

4. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    It would depend on what they are using for fluid and how clean their machine is. I had to have the entire internal wire harness in the transmission replaced in my last 05 tacoma and the shop that did it flushed it with a BG brand trans fluid (that is supposedly compatible with WS) afterwards. It was perfectly fine.

5. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I personally have had my one and only experience with AAMCO go terribly....I despise the location and the dishonest people that I worked with at my specific location. That has turned me 100% away from AAMCO regardless of hey say from others.

Certain things go to the dealership or do it yourself.

6. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    If thats an actual FLUSH from the dealership and not a drain/fill, I would see if theres wiggle room, ask if they have any coupons laying around, if they have any specials coming up, ect.

Id def not go anywhere besides the dealership for this myself.

$4k trans vs $300 DEALERSHIP service........................

or

$4K trans vs $99 service from a place that makes money off of rebuilding a trans................................

I think u see where we are going

ask if the dealership will replace the screen/filter for that.

7. Jan 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    aamco...i would not. The autos take WS toyota fluid. I had my old 05 flushed at the dealer for 189$. I would stick with dealer on this one. There is also a few threads for doing it yourself if you have mechanical abilities.

8. Jan 2, 2014 at 9:35 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Using a flush machine doesnt make any money for the shop . They waste too much new trans fluid while flushing the old stuff out .
    When they offer deals on flushes , it gets you in the door hoping you have other issues .
    When you have to force the original transmission fluid out using the transmission cooling lines , the shop uses far too much fluid to push out the old stuff . Its simply mixing old with new until the fluid is visibly red . Waste of new fluid and a loss for the shop unless they can find a way around such a waste of fluid . Most shops find a way around this by purchasing a flush machine that only flushes the transmission with the pan and filter removed . Afterall , would you flush a transmission without removing the pan to see whats in the bottom first ?
    Find a shop who uses the flushing machine with with the pan and filter removed .
    As far as WS fluid goes , I would love to see anything that can justify its better than the fluid thats available off the shelf .
    Purchasing aftermarket fluid designed for todays ecm controlled transmissions isnt rocket science and its available off the shelf .

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  9. Jan 3, 2014 at 11:01 PM
    2ndchancetoyotas

2ndchancetoyotas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Rebuilt
    I wouldn't go to AAMCO. Especially at $99...For a full flush at (at least) $10/qt x 12-13 qts....you do the math....In fact I'm surprised since they would be setting themselves up for liability issues.

As for the above talking about wasting fluid....I've done a couple of poor man's trans flushes using the 'cooler line' method. Ok fine, you 'might' waste a quart or two. In the big picture, it's not enough to worry about considering the scope of work. And if a shop is doing it, they're going to calculate the extra waste into the price of the flush. In a perfect world....fine...find a shop with that extra special machine..but don't sweat if you can't find one.

10. Jan 4, 2014 at 2:14 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    You need to pin them both down about what they actually do when they flush as it can cause more harm than good. Sadly flush many times does not mean a full flush/W filter change. Here is an article covering some of this.
    http://bigseanr.hubpages.com/hub/Consumer-Guide-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-Flush-Service

11. Jan 4, 2014 at 4:12 AM
    robm7

robm7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OR
    Never ever ....

12. Jan 4, 2014 at 5:40 AM
    Hbr01

Hbr01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 DBC 4x4
    Like it was said above its probably not an actual flush, they are probably going to drop your drain pain and refill. I would steer clear, maybe call another dealer if one is nearby see what they quote, or fork over the $$. I would go with the dealer on this one some stuff is better to just take to the dealer and let them handle it.

13. Jan 4, 2014 at 5:46 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    AAMCO is BSing. Toyota WS fluid is $10 a qt. and you need 16 qt. to run full flush. That's $160 already just for fluid.

14. Jan 4, 2014 at 5:48 AM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
  15. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Aamco isnt making a penny on the flush .This is a ploy to get you in the door .
    They do have buying power when purchasing fluid in bulk and i guarantee they do not use WS but it still will not cover the cost of 12 - 16 quarts of new fluid , the labor involved employing a guy to hook up the machine, remove and replace pan gasket / clean the filter , plus shop supplies and expenses .

http://aamcosocal.com/transmission-repair/transmission-flush.php

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top