1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote start in 2014 2.7 manual trams

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Iroca14taco, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jan 2, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    Iroca14taco

Iroca14taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    Hi
    Anyone put remote start in a manual trams tacoma yet . I am worried about forgetting to take out of gear and it starting and smashing into something. Is there a neutral switch that would prevent this from happening.

Thanks new here

2. Jan 2, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    Doc35

Doc35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC MGM TRD Sport Prerunner
    A manual shouldn't crank without the clutch pedal pushed in.

3. Jan 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    Iroca14taco

Iroca14taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    So are you saying it can not be done then.

Thanks

4. Jan 2, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    Doc35

Doc35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC MGM TRD Sport Prerunner
    Not sure, I haven't had a manual in 20 years. I'm 99% sure modern vehicles won't let you start a manual in gear. I know my motorcycle won't let me without the clutch pulled in if in gear.

Maybe if left in neutral it will crank. Try it out in a safe location.

5. Jan 2, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    Mmchugh

Mmchugh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR 4x4
    Anytime foglight mod, plastidipped grill emblem, Weathertech floor liners, Python 4206 remote start
    They make remote starters that have a manual transmission mode. I plan on getting one as soon as my 2014 DCSB arrives. There's a sequence that needs to be followed when turning the vehicle off so the remote starter knows its in neutral.

6. Jan 2, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    Iroca14taco

Iroca14taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    Thanks I'm going to go tomorrow to my local audio guy to see if he can do it then.

Thanks again

7. Jan 2, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    They do make remote starters that will work with manual transmissions, but good luck finding someone to install it. Too much liability on their part. I've tried to have it done in the past. The safest way to park a manual trans vehicle is in gear with the parking brake set... To set it up for a safe start you'd have to leave it in neutral and rely on your E brake to hold it... And then what happens if you forget to leave it in neutral with the brake set? Or you don't intend for it to be started and someone else hits the button? There's no way for them to install a fail safe against these things... I'm not insulting your intelligence, just telling you all of the things I was told last time I was searching for someone to install one in one of my manual transmission equipped vehicles...

8. Jan 3, 2014 at 3:28 AM
    Iroca14taco

Iroca14taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    Thanks for all the info. That's exactly what I'm worried about my wife takes the truck and leaves it in gear. And there goes my new truck thru the house.

My buddies friend ownes a audio install place so he said he would do it cash job no paper trail. Lol.

9. Jan 3, 2014 at 4:56 AM
    Mmchugh

Mmchugh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR 4x4
    Anytime foglight mod, plastidipped grill emblem, Weathertech floor liners, Python 4206 remote start
    The remote start can not bypass the clutch safety if you don't go through the proper shut down sequence. On most you have to put it in neutral while running, put the e break on then off then back on, press the button on remote, remove key, get out and close door. That's when the motor turns off. At that point the remote starter knows the vehicle is in neutral. If the door is opened prior to starting everything is reset and needs to be done again to confirm the vehicle is in neutral.

10. Jan 3, 2014 at 4:59 AM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....

their easy. I installed one on my truck.

Their is a sequence you have to do in order for it to work. Most have a switch you can turn on/off (safety on/safety off). In ON posistion on mine you have to come to a complete stop, pull e-brake, feet off of all pedals, hit remote start button on fob, turn key off and exit vehicle. The vehicle is still running when you do this because the remote start brain is keeping it running. Once your out of the vehicle you hit the lock button, which then shuts off the truck and locks the doors. Now the vehicle will start with the remote start button because it knows your in neutral since you exited the vehicle with it running.

At anytime if you unlock the doors to get something in the vehicle, the unit will cancel out and not remote start because it cant insure you dint put it in gear.

now, you can have the switch in the OFF position if you prefer... But, that negates the safety steps which can lead to the vehicle being in your bathroom if you hit the button.

11. Jan 3, 2014 at 5:00 AM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    beat me to it, damn my long response lol

Products Discussed in