1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

frame on a 2012

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dieselfan, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    dieselfan

dieselfan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    western Pa
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD 4X4
    Stock
    Is the frame on a 2012 truck a lot better, not to rust as the early ones like the 2005? Does anyone spray oil or other materials to prevent rusting? I would like to have this truck for many years. What's your thoughts. Thanks

2. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    I under washed the shit out of my truck's frame, let it dry out and put Tompson's Water seal in a paint sprayer, got on a creeper and went to town spraying everything underneath. FYI, oil attracts dirt.

Water beads off of every surface.

3. Jan 3, 2014 at 4:08 AM
    joe54tacoma

joe54tacoma Joe in Indiana

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Albany Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 DOUBLE CAB TRD Sport
    I don't know if it's better, but I use Fluid Film once a year just in case.

4. Jan 3, 2014 at 4:56 AM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    I have a 2013 and am concerned, only time will tell if it is better or not. In the meantime I hit the underside with Corrosion Free 3000.

Just about 2 weeks ago I put pieces of 0000 steel wool treated with CF 3000, Fluid Film and Bar & Chain Oil plus an uncoated control piece in my heated garage (~38F) after pouring an equal brine solution over each.

Start_zpsc7b53800-1_b844c96a40aee288b4e663d18b1771280af82ba0.jpg

Just did a 30 sec. rinse of each last night and did the brine solution again. The B&C oil is rusted pretty badly, and it is still soaked in oil. I wouldn't use oil expecting much help from rust protection from what I've seen so far. The CF 3K and FF are rusted also but much less so with a slight advantage to the CF 3K.

If you have a heated garage I wouldn't park in it during the winter would be my first step of protection against frame rust. And it is teens below zero F outside right now, believe me it isn't easy but feel it is worth it long term. FF or CF 3K can be removed with steam cleaning and pressure washing if a warranty issue did arise eventually. Like others I'm concerned about using a more permanent rust treatment which could cause Toyota to deny a claim if an issue did come up.

5. Jan 3, 2014 at 5:24 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I don't think the frames have changed very much. If you live in a place that is prone to rusting, I would definitely keep up with the preventative maintenance religiously.

6. Jan 3, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    addicted7369

addicted7369 She Thinks My Tacoma is Sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Middlesex County, N.J.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Sport DCSB 4X4
    Toytek 3" ultimate lift Billstein 1500 coilovers, and Light Racing UCA's with AAL in the rear, Mickey Thompson classic lock III rims with color matched powder coated color rings,with 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2 tires led tail lights , T-Rex Billet grill, HID reverse lights, FLYZEYE V2W led lights, throttle body spacer, and K&N air filter, Kenwood head unit, Rockford Fosgate punch 6 1/2" speakers, 6x9 Rockford Fosgate punch speakers,1 inch Rockford Fosgate prime tweeters, 5%tint all around, CBI rock sliders, Cobra 19 CB with 3' firestik antenna, 6 1/2" lightforce 170's behind grill, redline elite hood struts, retro fit HID projector head light with halos and demon eyes, weather tech floor liners, led interior lights, truxzedo low profile bed cover, rear diff relocation mod, anytime fog light mod.
    get some POR 15 and paint it works great

Products Discussed in

To Top