Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LED ideas ...

Old 01-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Cool LED ideas ...

Hey guys, im hooked on LEDS.

Just put some in my footwells, and working on the bed LEDS.

My wifes venza has LEDS under the mirror that come on when you hit the unlock button.
I love the look, anyone do something similar on their taco ?

Found a pic of a IS lexus that has the same thing. ( the door handle lights look cool to but I think it would involve more work then its worth)

My other question is, is there 12volts anywhere under the door panels ? I know the drivers side has a lighted switch But Im not sure if its 12 volt . Passanger side doesnt have any type of lights.

The other thing id like to do is a LED on the interior next to the door handle.
Something like this.

Any suggestions on how to do it ?

Old 01-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
TheTacoAdventurer is on a distinguished road
TheTacoAdventurer's Tacoma Gallery
This is cool. I'd also like to see if anyone has done this to their taco.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I want those!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
Mailman is a jewel in the roughMailman is a jewel in the roughMailman is a jewel in the rough
Name: Dennis
Mailman's Tacoma Gallery
LEDs

I had installed mini LEDs in my speaker grills and door latches. Connected to the hot wire on the power window switch and grounded to door. Once I turn on the ignition switch, the power is on and the lights are on constantly until I shut off my truck. Got my mini LEDs from OZNIUM.COM. They come in several colors and are pre-wired with resistors.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muisejt View Post
Very nice ! I already have the blinker , wonder what I'd need to do just to swap over the part with the led
Old 01-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
I put LED's (from radioshack) in the cupholders, above the door pockets and above the shifter console pocket.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithCamera View Post
I put LED's (from radioshack) in the cupholders, above the door pockets and above the shifter console pocket.

very nice!

how are yours wired ?
have a detail on how you did the cup holder lights?

I think im going to wire my door lights to the dome light so they come on when I open the door and when I approach the truck and hit the unlock button.

right now I have foot well lights wired to my dimmer 12 acc wire so they are pretty much on when ever the truck is on .
Old 01-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
Solve et Coagula
Silence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silence9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithCamera View Post

That looks amazingly evil! Good choice on red. Mind sharing how you did it? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steveo
steveo27's Tacoma Gallery
Neat stuff.

Has anyone found an OEM matching orange LED? I want to do footwell lighting, center console lighting, over head lighting, and a few other things, but I dont wanna mess with anything until I can find a good, matching LED.

:beer:
Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Toy85 View Post
very nice!

how are yours wired ?
have a detail on how you did the cup holder lights?

I think im going to wire my door lights to the dome light so they come on when I open the door and when I approach the truck and hit the unlock button.

right now I have foot well lights wired to my dimmer 12 acc wire so they are pretty much on when ever the truck is on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence9 View Post
That looks amazingly evil! Good choice on red. Mind sharing how you did it? Thanks.
Copy paste'd from my crappy write up thread on another forum (It didn't come to me to do a write up til I was partially done)

Quote:
What it looks like when done. (The blue glow is a bluemoon beer sign in my garage)

Everything was done with pretty much this method

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...older-mod.html

Except I did it less cleanly and since we have a 6 speed and not a automatic, I had to tap into the climate control light wire thing.

Someone on instagram requested I do a write up after I finished up with the drivers side door, Which is wired to the fog light switch (it doesn't turn on with the fog lights but since our fog switch is lighted, i tapped it into that [solid green wire]).

Taking off the door panel is pretty easy... Pop off the cap where the mirrors are (clips), Pop open the little doors behind the door handle near the armrest and the door handle by the little speaker and unscrew everything, Pop everything towards you from the bottom up and pull it up away from the door.

Drill below the armrest/window switches in these or wherever location you want and insert the LED's.

Add extra wire, Better to do too much wire then not enough that way you can trim when you run all the wires, Like so.

Find your grounds, and run the power wire through the factory wire harness rubber thing between the door and body of the truck (pain in the ass).

For the passenger side, Take out the climate control and run the wire through the glove box and by feel find your wire through the little opening behind the climate control and pull it through.

(Testing the power)

Since I got lazy I connected all 3 wires together (cup holders, under dash, passenger door panel) and ran the now single wire in with the solid green wire so they all turn on with the headlights instead of just when the truck is on... And zip tied them all together to make sure it doesn't pop out.

(No pictures...)
I did all this with the lights on to make sure nothing went wrong.... With the driver side I had to pop off the dash and knee panel. Pop off the sill plate on the driver side and pull the kick panel near the dead pedal off, It won't come completely off, But you just need to get to the 10mm bolt holding the knee panel on... There's a little door that you have to pop off near the E brake that hides a 10mm bolt, Also need to clip off the surround for the E-Brake... Pull the kick panel off.

Take off the 2 plastic screws above the gauge cluster and pull it towards you to remove... Un plug the fog light switch from behind and with the door repeat the same with LED's and wires, Except run the power wire to the solid green wire with the fog light switch and connect it either way you please.... Now put everything back together.

It took me a good 3 hours to get everything done.

You'll need.

10MM socket
Flat head screw driver (or something to pry off the clips on the door panel and pull out the climate control)
Phillips head screw driver
wire crimpers/heat shrink/electrical tape/wire connecters
LEDs... I bought my red ones from RadioShack they come in OEM Orange, Green and Blue (LED Assembly [PN 276-0270])
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tent=CT2032233
The rear doors are drilled at the bottom facing up (access cab only, i'd imagine the rear doors being the same as the front doors on a double cab but you would have to get a wire through the rubber boot and into the side pillar, down and under the plastic floor thingies (they are just clipped on)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
I did it a few years ago.

entry lights under mirror
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ry-lights.html

interior lights (my post/pics are in there somewhere)
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...older-mod.html

There are a few other threads out there for different ways of wiring, mounting, etc.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post
I did it a few years ago.

entry lights under mirror
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ry-lights.html

interior lights (my post/pics are in there somewhere)
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...older-mod.html

There are a few other threads out there for different ways of wiring, mounting, etc.
That's awesome ! That's exactly what I'm trying to do ! Is there any way of pulling the dome power from the fuse box vs running all the way up to the dome light ?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #14
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Toy85 View Post
That's awesome ! That's exactly what I'm trying to do ! Is there any way of pulling the dome power from the fuse box vs running all the way up to the dome light ?
I never got it to work right from fuse box area. I think maybe the computer does some common ground or signals or who knows. One attempt got it to work opposite of dome (if led on then dome was off). I gave up trying to figure it out.

Switch method I did was easy. Just make sure to cover wire and solder anyplace it might possibly hit metal if you were to push on headliner.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #15
Brian13DCSB
Bpassmore8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Bpassmore8's Tacoma Gallery
Cup Holder LEDs

I saw some threads about cup holder lighting. I like the idea of changing things but only if it is basically stock looking so this won't be anything fancy but will work for people like me. This is how I did it. I tapped into the green and green/white wires behind the AC panel and routed the wire down and to the rear cup holder. I tapped off that one for the front cup holder. I like this way because if I want more lighting anywhere it is easy to tap. I wanted mine different than the other threads, only wanting enough light to see. Not accent colors and not distracting. I work at a Lexus dealer and that is how they are which I love but it is coming from the headliner and only giving enough light to see. There is enough light that my daughter can see the rear cup holder. I used a 1/8 drill bit for the holes which gave enough light without dispersing it and tap splices

Mistakes...this is the first wiring project I have done
1.Used the wrong gauge wire. Ended up using 18 because it was the smallest I could get. I got 14 first which meant after running some wire the tap splices wouldn't work since the factory wire it tiny

2.Drilled the first front hole where I wanted it, put everything together and was happy. Put the cup holder inserts in and realized I hadn't thought about those. They blocked the hole so everything had to come out and a new hole drilled

Tapped behind a/c to green and green/white wires

Ugly but I had to hot glue around the back of the LED to hold it in place

Removed the back of the center console to route the LED

Front cup holder

Rear cup holder