1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma slow clutch return

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tool Maker, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Feb 7, 2014 at 1:12 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    FWIW this matches my experience in Alaska. And it is directly related to temperature; been that way from the beginning.

Disagree. :stirthepot:

2. Feb 7, 2014 at 2:36 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Your truck is old and needs repair. Go to any new car dealership when it is sub zero and test drive a new truck. The brakes WILL NOT stick or be sluggish. That would be a road and accident hazard and the government simply would not permit it. Plus today it would cause wrecks and people would sue, sue, sue. It does not happen when the brakes are working proerly.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. Feb 7, 2014 at 2:45 AM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    My truck has 3,000 miles on it and the clutch is slow to return when it's below 10 degrees. After it warms a little it goes away. No biggie.

4. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:24 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    FWIW ... I don't notice much difference in my brakes. But do in the clutch. Unsubbed.

5. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:32 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Agreed. In cold temps a clutch can be a little sluggish. :)

6. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:59 AM
    Tool Maker

Tool Maker [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Irmo SC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4
    Dang it looks like Toyota needs to go back to making parts out of metal again. Anyways I spoke to a lemon lawyer and he says I have a great case. So we shall see what happens!

7. Feb 7, 2014 at 5:04 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    Mine only does it when it's stupid cold out, like less than 0....and only if it's been sitting outside for several hours. But I never had a problem with it being stuck...just a little slow to return. It went away after a mile or so.

8. Mar 10, 2014 at 5:16 PM
    Tool Maker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Irmo SC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4
    Update: Truck went back into the shop today for squeaking/very loose clutch pedal. It also doesn't require to be freezing outside anymore for the clutch to get really slow. About 40 degrees will do er in. This is the 4th repair to the clutch system and is now officially a lemon. I just have to wait to be denied at arbitration before the lawyer can get involved. I have already been denied a lemon law claim through Toyota claiming that my truck has already been repaired. After this whole ordeal, I will not be returning to another Toyota. When I attempted to take the truck in Friday, the dealer was loaded with warranty work which doesn't say much for Toyota anymore. But no matter what you buy nowadays, it seems that a good car no longer exists!

9. Mar 10, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    :( sorry to hear that. That's a pain in the ass.

My 2014 is brand new(imagine that), I drive it off the lot with 25 km on the odo. The clutch is different when it's below -10ish. It's how it is. Cold fluid does not want to move as quickly as warm fluid. Like states above, it goes away once the fluid warms up. I'm not just some derp talking out of my ass either. There's nothing wrong with the clutch system.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  10. Mar 14, 2014 at 3:17 PM
    Sprucetaco13

Sprucetaco13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Staten Island, New York
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Quicksand Tacoma
    my 2013 tacoma 2.7 5 speed clutch pedal always gets stuck no matter the temperature. On its own the pedal does not return to top. I need to pull it up with my foot. I got fed up with it and bought it into service. After holding my truck for a week, they installed a new pedal assembly and returned me the truck. It worked great that one day, and the next morning it was back to the same issue. Now i am stuck waiting 4 days till my next appt with service. I told them that it was a safety issue because the clutch gets stuck sometimes and they did not care. btw my truck has 19,800 miles and i bought it brand new january 2013.

11. Mar 15, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    Tool Maker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Irmo SC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4
    I got my truck back on Wednesday. I drove the truck Thursday morning and the clutch was slow but not slow enough to be much of an issue. I estimate it was about 35 outside. I drove it Friday morning and it was about 28-30. It REALLY started acting up then. In my neighborhood there is a stop light on a hill and as I came to the stop light a moped was behind me. The clutch pedal was so slow to come up that I almost ran the moped over and I know that he almost had to ditch it to keep from being ran over. So now its turned into a safety concern for others that are behind me.

Anyways, I have filed for an arbitration hearing with Toyota. I am waiting to hear back on a hearing date. I also filed a complaint with the SC dept of consumer affairs. Its a little wrong of Toyota to deny buying my truck back even though the LAW says they have to. There will be a thread on how the lemon law process goes from Toyota once this is all done for the people who are wondering.

12. Mar 31, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    Tool Maker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Irmo SC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4
    Looks like I have an arbitration hearing at the dealer on 4-18. This is such a waste of time because they already know it's a lemon......

13. Apr 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    Tool Maker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Irmo SC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4
    Went to the arbitration and it went well. Toyotas only argument was they thought the truck was repaired. I wasn't able to prove otherwise because it was hot outside. So we shall see what their decision is.

14. Apr 25, 2014 at 2:33 PM
    Tool Maker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Irmo SC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4
    Arbitrator awarded repurchase of my truck.

15. Apr 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    ailll1

ailll1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Québec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Trd Sport Double cab
    Your ''near crashes'' stories are just plain stupid... There's no way a slow return clutch would make you run over things. I could only understand your stories if it was hard to push in...

16. Apr 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    Congrats. What are you gonna replace it with?

17. Apr 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Good to hear. Everytime a Tacoma is bought back hopefully they'll rethink some practices. Not likely though.

Glad you were there and that its cool not to have full control of the vehicle one is driving.:rolleyes:

18. Apr 26, 2014 at 3:42 AM
    Sprucetaco13

Sprucetaco13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Staten Island, New York
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Quicksand Tacoma
    My truck is in service for the third time now for the slow clutch pedal return. My pedal only returns about 3/4 of the way on it's own. I have to wiggle it for it to fully come back. I bought the car into service the first time and they held it for a week. They replaced the pedal and bushings. A week later I bought it back for the same issue. They held the truck for two weeks and pulled off the transmission to lubricate the throw out bearing and fork. They again replaced the clutch pedal, bushings and brackets that hold the pedal. I drove the car for a little over 2 weeks and now it's back again in service for the same issue.

19. Apr 26, 2014 at 4:44 AM
    Tool Maker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Irmo SC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4
    As of right now I am making a good bit more money since I bought the Taco so I am going to buy myself a Ram 2500 with the Cummins. Its sad it only costs $2k more than a stripped down Silverado crew cab 4wd. I wanted a Tundra but they ride incredibly rough for my liking. I just hope to find something that I can put 300k miles on before I have to replace it. And Spruce if you fall under lemon law in your state just go ahead and get the process going because they will never be able to fix it...

20. Apr 26, 2014 at 5:18 AM
    camojared

camojared Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    SE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 2.7L 5spd
    Mine sticks below 0 F. If I don't let it warm up... 5-10min warm up saves a lot of stress and wear on the engine and trans. IMO

Products Discussed in

To Top