1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bakflip Roll-X rollup hard tonneau - anyone running one?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by sportsguy, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Jan 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    sportsguy

sportsguy [OP] searchgeek

Member:
    Bak Roll-X

[​IMG]

The Only Hard Roll Up Cover

• Roll the Cover up to the Cab with Ease
    • Vinyl Top over Metal Slats
    • Full Bed Access and Rear View Unobstructed
    • Easy No Drill Installation
    • Lock Tailgate to Secure
    • Locks Intermittantly Along Rails
    Trying to learn more about them. Of course their customer service just tells me "of course it'll fit your reg cab 6 foot bed Tacoma"...

But do I need to remove the factory rails for the tie downs along the upper bed edge?

I'm after a roll up cover that takes up little room when rolled up so I can haul my KTM. ...and I won't lie...I like the idea of the hard roll up here!

So, anyone got one in action yet?

duane

2. Jan 8, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    sportsguy

Member:
    Anyone?

3. Jan 8, 2014 at 7:48 AM
    boostbaron

boostbaron Well-Known Member

Member:
    City of Wind
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    I have one on my DCSB. Install requires you to remove the tie down cleats, but the rollx installs into the factory bed rails where the tiedowns were. Install is pretty simple, but there are alot of final adjustments that need to be made, which are a pain in the ass to get perfect. Leaves your whole bed empty when rolled up, but the rolled up unit takes up some space above the bed right behind the window, roughly 6-8". I would reccomend.

4. Jan 9, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    sportsguy

Member:

Thanks boost. :)

I don't mind tinkering to get the final fit sorted out.

Disappointing to lose the bed cleats, though. Still, I wouldn't use the cleats to tie down my motorcycle anyway, and those my need here - enough room to be able to load my KTM in.

Looks like I'll need to do some measuring to see if that 6" - 8" loss near the cab will work with my bike's wheel sizes when loaded.

Many thanks for your input. :)

duane

5. Jul 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM
    davids540i

davids540i Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    I'm recently got one these and it's been installed for about 2 months or so now.
    It does take a bit of time to get it adjusted just right but once set it's pretty solid and water resistant.
    I researched different models and manufacturers quite a bit before deciding on this one and very happy with the choice.
    I definitely get a use out of my truck bed and so had to have the ability to quickly move the cover out of the way to carry tall items.

It was also nice to keep all the dust and dirt off my gear when off-roading a bit on a recent camping trip.

So far, one of the best and most useful accessories I've bought for my Tacoma.

Based on some other threads here I gave Morrie at Bakfactoryoutlet a call and mentioned I'm on TacomaWorld. He answered all my questions and gave me a really good deal.

6. Aug 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    hrspwr236

hrspwr236 X-Runner Addict

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Barcelona Red X-Runner
    Python Alarm, Scangauge II, Valentine V1 w/ Blendmount, Black Front Badge, Volant CAI w/ Ram Air Scoop, TRD CBE, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb, 19" TSW Montage, 245/45/19 Hankook V12, FLM, BHLM, 6k Heads & 3k Fogs, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Tacoma Bed Mat, Headrest Delete
    Looking at getting one in the near future after I sell my undercover, looks like you get the best of both worlds.

7. Aug 19, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    MikeluvstheTaco

MikeluvstheTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Saskatchatoon
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I just installed my new rollx after someone stole my bike by cutting open my vinyl lowpro QT. I dont like the fit of this one at all. I have gaps where water is sure to get in, there was aluminum shaving all in the packaging get stuck on my clothes and hands. I cant close the top without opening up the tailgate first and the cover sits "in" the rails and is lower, it looks funny. And I know it fits differently and better on other trucks. I will attach some pictures to explain. I havent contacted BAK yet but im planning on soon

8. Aug 19, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    MikeluvstheTaco

MikeluvstheTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Saskatchatoon
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Here are some pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its hard to see but the whole top sits lower than the rails so snow will melt and water will drip in. Really looks like they just through a system together for the tacoma because I have seen the Rollx on GM trucks and they fit a lot better

Products Discussed in

To Top