Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Moving to Colorado with a Prerunner, have some ?'s

Old 01-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #21
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to get by just fine with snow tires and some weight like everyone said. I used to drive in upstate NY with a rear wheel drive '83 Cutlas in the winter when I was in high school and I survived.....living on a hill even.

If you really want to enjoy winter driving though, I'd look around and see if you can find a 4x4 Tacoma you can trade for, if your budget allows.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #22
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
If you really want to enjoy winter driving though, I'd look around and see if you can find a 4x4 Tacoma you can trade for, if your budget allows.
Yes, a 4x4 Tacoma in the snow gives me a child-like sense of joy and complete spiritual fulfillment. 16 mpg is worth it!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #23
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB1 View Post
Yes, a 4x4 Tacoma in the snow gives me a child-like sense of joy and complete spiritual fulfillment. 16 mpg is worth it!
Same here, even in Texas! lol
Old 01-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #24
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB1 View Post

Getting there with a 5-lug give a similar fulfillment.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #25
happy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

happy's Tacoma Gallery
I'll chime in with the rest:

Get a set of stock steelies (or alloys if you can find them cheap) and have good snow tires mounted. In mid November mount them up, then in mid April take them off. (This is what we do with our honda fit.) Put a couple of sandbags over the rear axle. Don't brake or accelerate in turns, take it slow until you get the feel for how the truck handles in snow, and you'll be fine.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #26
Stupid should be painful!
W Bishop is on a distinguished road
Name: Walt
W Bishop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoojk View Post
FYI: Chain laws for normal cars/trucks dont exist in colorado. Only Commercial vehicles. If the roads get that bad they just close them and plow for a few hours then re-open. So chains are not needed...its just a back up if you are out exploring.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251594537897

Not lived In Colorado for a lot of years but was there in 69 thru 81 I do remember what was happing back then and looks to me they still have an option to do so. The last time I came across 70 going east out of Utah 2006 they had the chain law in effect.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #27
Banana Nut
TheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheMuffinMan's Tacoma Gallery
In the 5 years I've lived here I've never had to use chains, the chain days I've seen have been for commercial vehicles only though passenger cars can use them whenever they want too.

Personally I run all-seasons and with AWD (last car) or 4x4 I never have any problems but I did grow up in the frozen lands of Michigan. The number one thing out here is there are a lot of transplants from warmer states who don't know how to drive in the snow so they are more of a threat than just snow/ice.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #28
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I grew up in Colorado, back when 4WD was virtually unheard of. Folks got along well with their rwd cars and trucks. Just follow the above advice regarding weight, chains, and cautious driving and you will do fine.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #29
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
I grew up in Colorado, back when 4WD was virtually unheard of. Folks got along well with their rwd cars and trucks. Just follow the above advice regarding weight, chains, and cautious driving and you will do fine.

Yep, 4wd was almost non-existent when I started driving 35 years ago in WI, then IA and now CO with nothing but rwd.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #30
voodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

voodoojk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by W Bishop View Post
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251594537897

Not lived In Colorado for a lot of years but was there in 69 thru 81 I do remember what was happing back then and looks to me they still have an option to do so. The last time I came across 70 going east out of Utah 2006 they had the chain law in effect.
It's pretty rare to say the least. It's never happened since I lived here and I drove to Denver almost every weekend over both passes. We had chain law in effect since Wednesday but starting in vail but it's only CMV.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #31
I like turtlessss
cflks411 is on a distinguished road

Army: 1st Cav
Name: Kris
cflks411's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate all the responses. Im definitely going to explore. Whats the point in living next to mountains and never going into them haha. Im looking at some 4x4/4wd for m wife. She may end up with a 1st gen, unfortunately she likes tacomas also so I cant get off cheap lol. Being in the army sand bags will be too easy to find. Thanks again guys!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflks411 View Post
I appreciate all the responses. Im definitely going to explore. Whats the point in living next to mountains and never going into them haha. Im looking at some 4x4/4wd for m wife. She may end up with a 1st gen, unfortunately she likes tacomas also so I cant get off cheap lol. Being in the army sand bags will be too easy to find. Thanks again guys!

There are things called trailheads were you park and then hike further into the mountains on foot. The best places can only be found by getting out of your vehicle and leave it miles behind.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #34
DPC08 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DPC08's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the CSprings area right now. Colorado weather is ridiculous. Good set of tires and some weight in the back like everybody else has said. Most importantly though is the driver. Easy on the skinny pedal and make sure you look ahead further than you normally would because you might not be able to stop as quickly to make that turn or avoid someone/something. Also don't freak out if you start sliding. Stay calm and easy up on the gas or brakes if you're on them. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #37
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
i dont think i would ever call a 2wd unstoppable...but hey just my opinion
Serious you would be surprised what 8 bags of sand/gravel weight and blizzak tires can do. But I am just talking about snowy roads not off roading.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
i dont think i would ever call a 2wd unstoppable...but hey just my opinion
Fact is no vehicle is unstoppable, even the incredible 4wd Tacoma.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #39
HolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bry
HolyReptar's Tacoma Gallery
I lived in Boulder for a number of years and spent a lot of time in the springs. Just like everyone said sand bags / gravel bags plus a good set of snow tires. Don't drive like an ass, pay attention to whats around you, and go easy on the accelerator and the brake. You should be fine but living in Colorado I would say see if you can get a trade in of some sort of a 4x4 because the trails out there are beautiful =D

Just be careful out there and you'll be fine.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:18 AM   #40
05TacoSr5 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 2T071 Traffic Management Craftsman
Name: Josh
05TacoSr5's Tacoma Gallery
I was in Colorado Springs with my 05 5 Lug. Had a set of BFG ATs year round with cables for just in case. Never once got stuck, even with living on USAFA. Even in stalled a nice set of Bilsteins as well.